Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Setup question

Options
In my XL Egg I have a pizza stone, woo, and an adjustable rig. Is there an easy way or a preferred method for adding wood chunks or lump when you are smoking with a full load of food? I think I might have to get some better gloves if I don't figure something out!
XL BGE - Adjustable rig combo, Rutland gasket, 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake

Comments

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    Mix the chunks in with your lump before you even light it. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    jeponline said:
    Bingo. But with the woo I have had to add more lump (which was my fault anyway) just lift everything out which is easy with the woo and add.  I use a spare pair of my firefighter gloves which work great messing with the egg.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I have pushed wood chunks through the bottom vent onto the glowing embers for more smoke. It works. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    do this set up with the xl rig:

-  xl rig on the fire ring;
      - 17.5" stone with crossbars on either one of the lower rig notches;
      - 20" round or 16"x20" oval grid on top of the rig.

you won't have to touch a thing.  you can add wood anytime you like, just slip your hand under the stone and drop the wood.  18" drip pan optional.

checkout the video on youtube:  smoking a brisket

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Davie755
    Davie755 Posts: 54
    Options
    tjv said:
    do this set up with the xl rig:

-  xl rig on the fire ring;
      - 17.5" stone with crossbars on either one of the lower rig notches;
      - 20" round or 16"x20" oval grid on top of the rig.

you won't have to touch a thing.  you can add wood anytime you like, just slip your hand under the stone and drop the wood.  18" drip pan optional.

checkout the video on youtube:  smoking a brisket

t

Thanks! This looks ideal. 
    XL BGE - Adjustable rig combo, Rutland gasket, 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @tjv No XL here but that set-up with the teaser brisket will definitely drive purchases.  Great looking protein right there.  I'm sure all enjoyed the results of that photo shoot.  (Kinda like Sports Illustrated and swim suits for Q junkies.  ;)  )
     That said, I do have your products in each of my BGE's.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokingPiney
    edited April 2017
    Options
    tjv said:

you won't have to touch a thing.  you can add wood anytime you like, just slip your hand under the stone and drop the wood. 

No offense, but don't forget your welding gloves as you slide your hand under that very hot stone to drop your wood (the stone is HOT, even on a low and slow).

On a low and and slow cook, you won't even be sure of dropping the smoke wood into the fired embers - there's not many coals glowing on a low and slow, and I'll bet most of them are centered in the firebox. So most of the lump around the perimeter where you will end up dropping the wood will never see enough heat to smoke, even on a LONG low and slow.  

I'm not buying this.....
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Davie755 said:
    In my XL Egg I have a pizza stone, woo, and an adjustable rig. Is there an easy way or a preferred method for adding wood chunks or lump when you are smoking with a full load of food? I think I might have to get some better gloves if I don't figure something out!
    This is the prime reason I bought a dedicated smoker. The BGE is........OK at smoking, but is not a smoker. 

There's a reason I have an Assassin smoker parked in my Q Shack - I need a REAL smoker. I can add wood any time I want without risking life or limb.  
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    jeponline said:
    ^

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    @SmokingPiney

check the video on the lump burn and adding a chuck,  If you like, move the stone up the notches to increase access to the lump.  

I'll put this set-up against any other available on the market for a simple, one grid, indirect cook in any ceramic grill.  The set-up gets the grid up, the indirect piece is off the fire ring and the increase open area provides direct access to the lump and improved airflow.  Name me another ceramic grill set-up that does those things.

no offense but I know a bunch of offset owners here in Texas who would take exception to the "REAL smoker" comment. 

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Use oval grids and drop fuel amd flavor wood along the side whenever you want...use spider and stone setup...otherwise i think youd need to pull everything out and then place back in.   Big pain in many ways....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i set up similar to tjv in the large with the adjustable rig. hang a spatula down the side and drop the chunk/chips/pellets onto it and bounce the wood toward the center
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    jeponline said:
    This is a solid recommendation. However, the one thing I've never liked about this approach is that it becomes impossible to tell when the acrid white smoke has cleared. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - give the smoke the nose test.  If it smells good then it is good.  The nose knows.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GrateEggspectations - give the smoke the nose test.  If it smells good then it is good.  The nose knows.
    This is how you know. It also thins out from when vocs are burning off. Smell however is key. Placing smoke wood within your lump is the way to go. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @lousubcap @bgebrent

I won't beg to differ; I'll just try my sniffer.