Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table nest necessary

Options
13»

Comments

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    putting the stone in is not task that I'm anxious to attempt.
    Two buddies, a six pack, and two minutes. Done deal.
    but thats two minutes of work you will never get back
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Well the dealer didn't get the table nest so I went with a much better and cheaper option. 1" kiln post, $10.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I'd also use the kiln posts or planter pot feet over the metal nest. Much cheaper  and rust free.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The ceramic feet were known to cause "pressure point" cracks in the bottom of the Eggs over time.  Simple table nest is a wise investment. This item is easily shipped, I am sure you can find a dealer willing to ship you one.
    Sorry, we do not ship though.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The ceramic feet were known to cause "pressure point" cracks in the bottom of the Eggs over time.  Simple table nest is a wise investment. This item is easily shipped, I am sure you can find a dealer willing to ship you one.
    A table nest really doesn't carry/distribute the weight of an Egg any differently than four feet.

The nest does seem to be easier to use tho than trying to position 4 separate supports.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bigalsworth
    Options
    i live in Canada and it will cost me a mint plus months of waiting because dealers only order 1-2 times a year, and since all of them have made their spring order I will have to wait until November or December to see if they will even be putting in another one.  

Thanks for the tip though, I may look at adding a couple more to distribute the weight.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Well the dealer didn't get the table nest so I went with a much better and cheaper option. 1" kiln post, $10.

@bigalsworth - looks like your paver block is ready to go?  

I had a 3/4 inch air gap, wasn't enough...paver cracked, table burned, house burned.

I think the amount of larger pieces of burning lump that fell through the high que grate onto the bottom of the egg may have had something to do with my fire.  The bottom of my egg was not cracked at all, even post fire and table collapse.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I agree that with the ceramic feet there are pressure points, but the nest touches the egg with about the same area as the feet.
    Who makes this contraption? In this pic it is upside down.
    Image result for green egg table nest
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I agree that with the ceramic feet there are pressure points, but the nest touches the egg with about the same area as the feet.
    Who makes this contraption? In this pic it is upside down.
    Image result for green egg table nest
    https://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/table-nest

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bigalsworth
    Options

@bigalsworth - looks like your paver block is ready to go?  

I had a 3/4 inch air gap, wasn't enough...paver cracked, table burned, house burned.

I think the amount of larger pieces of burning lump that fell through the high que grate onto the bottom of the egg may have had something to do with my fire.  The bottom of my egg was not cracked at all, even post fire and table collapse.
    yeah my paver is already cracked.  These are 1" kiln posts, I will use a temp gun and measure the temp of the paver below next time I spark it up and see what it says.  I also think you are correct on the lump falling through the high que, I have an expanded metal crate on the bottom and there is way more hot charcoal down there than I had with the stock grate.  More fuel to burn down there, hotter it will be.

I should maybe think about using my stock grate when doing low 'n slows because I have a fan pushing in air any way.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Remember that the thermal conductivity for a paver is an order of magnitude higher than air.  Granite and tile are an additional order of magnitude higher.
    An air gap being an insulator is a bit of a misnomer, the insulating value of air is worthless because it is not confined with no movement.  The air acts like a coolant in this case, taking heat and carrying it away.  It is not insulating, it is cooling.  I realize some will say that is just splitting hairs but it is actually what is happening.
    The effect of a material upon heat transfer rates is often expressed in terms of a number known as the thermal conductivity. Thermal conductivity values are numerical values that are determined by experiment. The higher that the value is for a particular material, the more rapidly that heat will be transferred through that material. Materials with relatively high thermal conductivities are referred to as thermal conductors. Materials with relatively low thermal conductivity values are referred to as thermal insulators. The table below lists thermal conductivity values (k) for a variety of materials, in units of W/m/°C. Material   k   Material k Aluminum (s)   237   Sand (s) 0.06 Brass (s)   110   Cellulose (s) 0.039 Copper (s)   398   Glass wool (s) 0.040 Gold (s)   315   Cotton wool (s) 0.029 Cast Iron (s)   55   Sheep's wool (s) 0.038 Lead (s)   35.2   Cellulose (s) 0.039 Silver (s)   427   Expanded Polystyrene (s) 0.03 Zinc (s)   113   Wood (s) 0.13 Polyethylene (HDPE) (s)   0.5   Acetone (l) 0.16 Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) (s)   0.19   Water (l) 0.58 Dense Brick (s)   1.6   Air (g) 0.024 Concrete (Low Density) (s)   0.2   Argon (g) 0.016 Concrete (High Density) (s)   1.5   Helium (g) 0.142 Ice (s)   2.18   Oxygen (g) 0.024 Porcelain (s)   1.05   Nitrogen (g) 0.024 Source: http://www.roymech.co.uk/Related/Thermos/Thermos_HeatTransfer.html
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Remember that the thermal conductivity for a paver is an order of magnitude higher than air.  Granite and tile are an additional order of magnitude higher.
    An air gap being an insulator is a bit of a misnomer, the insulating value of air is worthless because it is not confined with no movement.  The air acts like a coolant in this case, taking heat and carrying it away.  It is not insulating, it is cooling.  I realize some will say that is just splitting hairs but it is actually what is happening.

The effect of a material upon heat transfer rates is often expressed in terms of a number known as the thermal conductivity. Thermal conductivity values are numerical values that are determined by experiment. The higher that the value is for a particular material, the more rapidly that heat will be transferred through that material. Materials with relatively high thermal conductivities are referred to as thermal conductors. Materials with relatively low thermal conductivity values are referred to as thermal insulators. The table below lists thermal conductivity values (k) for a variety of materials, in units of W/m/°C.

Material

k

Material

k

Aluminum (s)

Sand (s)

Brass (s)

Cellulose (s)

Copper (s)

Glass wool (s)

Gold (s)

Cotton wool (s)

Cast Iron (s)

Sheep's wool (s)

Lead (s)

Cellulose (s)

Silver (s)

Expanded Polystyrene (s)

Zinc (s)

Wood (s)

Polyethylene (HDPE) (s)

Acetone (l)

Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) (s)

Water (l)

Dense Brick (s)

Air (g)

Concrete (Low Density) (s)

Argon (g)

Concrete (High Density) (s)

Helium (g)

Ice (s)

Oxygen (g)

Porcelain (s)

Nitrogen (g)

Source: http://www.roymech.co.uk/Related/Thermos/Thermos_HeatTransfer.html

Yes air has an insulating value but is only an insulator if it is trapped, which means in this case it is more like a fluid which carries heat away not an insulator.  Think of everything that is air cooled, engines etc, if open air was a insulator nothing could be air cooled.

And I don't even need to copy and paste this from Google.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• nolaegghead
    Options

The effect of a material upon heat transfer rates is often expressed in terms of a number known as the thermal conductivity. Thermal conductivity values are numerical values that are determined by experiment. The higher that the value is for a particular material, the more rapidly that heat will be transferred through that material. Materials with relatively high thermal conductivities are referred to as thermal conductors. Materials with relatively low thermal conductivity values are referred to as thermal insulators. The table below lists thermal conductivity values (k) for a variety of materials, in units of W/m/°C.

Material

k

Material

k

Aluminum (s)

Sand (s)

Brass (s)

Cellulose (s)

Copper (s)

Glass wool (s)

Gold (s)

Cotton wool (s)

Cast Iron (s)

Sheep's wool (s)

Lead (s)

Cellulose (s)

Silver (s)

Expanded Polystyrene (s)

Zinc (s)

Wood (s)

Polyethylene (HDPE) (s)

Acetone (l)

Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) (s)

Water (l)

Dense Brick (s)

Air (g)

Concrete (Low Density) (s)

Argon (g)

Concrete (High Density) (s)

Helium (g)

Ice (s)

Oxygen (g)

Porcelain (s)

Nitrogen (g)

Source: http://www.roymech.co.uk/Related/Thermos/Thermos_HeatTransfer.html

Yes air has an insulating value but is only an insulator if it is trapped, which means in this case it is more like a fluid which carries heat away not an insulator.  Think of everything that is air cooled, engines etc, if open air was a insulator nothing could be air cooled.

And I don't even need to copy and paste this from Google.
    (note, giant and unnecessary quote I made above)

I completely agree with you.

Also, absent that trapped environment, air is the worst at removing heat.  This is why most engines are water cooled.  Also, note how cast iron is crappy at transferring heat. You put a cast iron pan on a small burner, and it doesn't heat evenly.  All kinds of inferences can be made from that data.  It rocks.
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yup some engines are water cooled, but what cools the water I wonder?

Point with quote well taken.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Yup some engines are water cooled, but what cools the water I wonder?

Point with quote well taken.
    I'm a motor-head.  We live in a world of air.  Moving vehicles on land only have air to cool.  Boats use water (superior).  Power plants use evaporation or a lake.

Soooo....the water coolant is leveraged to the magic formula:  massive surface area and air flow - aka "radiator". 

What was the original question? ;)
    Options
    I completely agree.  I have worked in a few plants that used aerial coolers to cool condensate instead of water, but they were small, like 20MW units.  I guess I better find a way to run water through the base of my egg, or at the very least put a fan there with some water misting.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• nolaegghead
    Options
    The air gap is important.  But you should see the charring where radiant heat beat that gap and toasted my table.  I'll take a pic at some point.  You really want an air gap (solves the convection issue) and a radiant barrier.  IR heat will cause a fire. 

I have an air gap and a radiant barrier.  No more problems.  Piece of aluminum foil will work in a pinch.  Now, we're talking nuclear pizza temps.  99.9% of what people do on their eggs, the air gap is good 'nuf.
    Options
    Oh, and I meant to give you some dystopian fiction book recommendations.  I'll get you a list when I get a chance.  Cheers!
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I will look for some low emissivity spray paint or something of the sort.  Looking forward to the list.

After a short search for low emissivity paint I think I will just go with aluminum foil, cheap and easily replaceable
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'd buy the green ceramic feet, if they ever brought them back.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I'd buy the green ceramic feet, if they ever brought them back.
    They used to appear on eBay from time to time. Then back in 2014 the GA Mountain Fest gave these away. Guess the didn't want to risk stepping on BGE corporate toes! hehehe

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.