Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egged duck breast

Options
da87
da87 Posts: 640
I love duck and have struggled to make it at home. Used a Bobby Flay recipe for the rub and glaze - blackberries were awesome!  Brussels overdone and not a good flavor match - and my lovely wife said my plate was too dark and similar in color...  we'll make the duck again but with different sides.  Egg kept the fat flames under control and it stayed really moist. 

Doug
Wayne, PA
LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Dang. I'm not much of a duck guy (grew up eating too much wild duck poorly prepared as a kid)

but THAT is some duck I would get down on. 

You mind postin the link? I want to try that blackberry sauce on some dove this week. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks fancy!  ;) Delicious too. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Wow!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Here you go @Killit_and_Grillit:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/spice-rubbed-grilled-duck-breast-with-grilled-peach-and-goat-cheese-salad-recipe

glaze/sauce was amazing - the blackberries from Whole Foods had excellent flavor and made the meal. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,861
    Options
    Old thread, but I am a big fan of duck breast.   Last night's cook below.
    Very simple approach;
    1) meat to room temperature
    2)slit the skin to expose the fat
    3) spread out flour, lost of sea salt crystals, pepper on a plate
    4) flesh side down not he plate,  the plenty more salt across the skin
    5) flesh side down, direct heat about 150C, until internal temp is about 75% of target.  (the opposite to stove/skillet cooking where you start with a cold pan and skin down)  Basically a reverse sear approach.
    6) meat off, crank up the Egg and skin side down to sear the finish.  They'll need five minutes or so to rest.

To be honest, I went a little high on the internal so the meat was grey - but the Egg rescues me because it was so succulent.  SWMBO prefers well-done anyway.  And she made the outstanding dauphinoise potato.

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay