Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

150# of Turbo Butt on a XL........

2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @dldawes1 -  You are the true master of  the meat coma cook.   Again, congrats on the cook for your worthy cause and then pulling it off with such a great finish.  Nailed it again.  Never a doubt.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited March 2017
    Great looking cook as always Donnie! Any time I see you're doing a cook up for the church I know it's must see BBQ goodness. By the way, if you're running low on the Aardvark you can get it shipped to you on amazon now adays (or I'd be happy to send a few bottles out your way). 

It truely puts a smile on my face that my favorite hot sauce (and the first thing I bought for that basket for the 4th of July exchange) keeps making an appearance at your major cooks. Thanks for passing along good flavors to good people in good ways!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    You are working those XL's!

How do you manage the grease?  I'd imagine you'd have to remove everything and drain a drip pan a couple of times during such a cook.  Care to elaborate on that?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    That's just an amazing amount of food on each egg. Well done. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited March 2017
    I'm not @dldawes1 but I have successfully cooked 65 lb. a few times in my XL. The first was a near disaster as you mentioned as my grease pan began to overflow into the fire. I had to empty it and it was a very dangerous situation. The next time I cooked a large amount I had gotten a water heater catch pan without the drain hole to accumulate grease in. It worked well but was made of fairly thin aluminum and overhung the edges of the plate setter. I chose to replace it before the next big cook. My current catch pans came from a company called Lloyds and they are for deep dish pizza and fit the plate setter almost perfectly. They have a good capacity and are much heavier gauge than the water heater tray. Look up Lloyds baking ware online. I believe I signed up for notifications as they do have sales intermittently and I get a note from them at that time.

Found the link:   http://www.lloydpans.com/
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    edited March 2017

This is a picture of my first cook that overflowed the pan. The next was arranged with butts on edge and the larger catch pan. By doing that, I got 8 butts on the XL and no grease fire. As you can also see that was the first time I used the AR and learned how to better orient it for the next cook.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Grease management is a great question.  

Also, I didn't realize you were going to turbo #150, did the bottoms ones get a lot more done than the top ones?  That is a lot of heat down below.

Why the choice to go turbo?  I would think L and S would be a much safer bet with that much meat.

How do you pull that much meat quickly?

I never did turbo, is fooling typical?  I suppose with that much meat you just want it done and don't care about the bark?

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Wow!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    That's a lot of pork you have cooking there. I'd be interested too, how you managed the grease from all those butts.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • bettysnephew
    When pulling large amounts of pork butt, my method has been to pull off large chunks and break them down to serving consistency in a Kitchenaid mixer using the dough hook. Makes quick work of a daunting task
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    YEMTrey..I use the water heater drip pans and have no problem with grease. When I foiled the butts, I removed the pans and there was about 1 to 1-1/2" of grease in them.

No flare ups...I don't open the lid !!:)

All meat is finished at the same time, at the same doneness.

The bark is very good, bottom or top butts are equal on the bark. 

As for pulling the pork....I pull them as needed. I do not pull all the meat at once, as I fear drying out before it reaches a plate. I use half size pans and when I am down to a small portion, I pull another butt.

I have been known to pour in a little beef broth if necessary, but the pulled pork doesn't usually sit long enough to dry out !!

Concerning the oversized drip pans...I've never had a problem with them being a little larger diameter than the PS. Air flow/temp/everything seems to work fine for me.

Thanks everyone for the generous comments. I love cooking and I owe it all to you folks here on the forum for taking time to teach me over the past couple of years.

I could never have done it without each of your's help.

Eat more pork,

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• dldawes1
    Oh yeah...the butts finished at 4:30pm. I pulled them when they probed like butta at ~203-210 IT. I foiled them around 2:30pm. 

The cook, from placing the meat on the egg to removing it was.....8 hrs I think. From 8:30am to 4:30pm. Eggs held at about 400 dome the whole cook. I did not completely "pack" the Rockwood in but I did use a generous amount. The cook used most of the lump....but that was a lot of meat to heat !!!! 

• I'm baffled as to how you did this cook.  It obviously worked but I was under the impression that you need to avoid the meat being in contact with each other.  The negative consequences being flavor (less smoke and less bark in the areas it is touching) and increased cook time by the insulating effect that it would have.  Yet you seemed to just pile the butts on top of each other with no ill effects.  I have an XL and love to throw parties, just threw one for 65 this past weekend but smoked in two separate sessions to avoid having the meat in contact with each other.  Otherwise I could've done it in one.  I'm quite new so I understand if my concepts are way off...

Whale's Vagina, CA
    XL BGE - AR Rig Combo - Bunch of other things I don't know how to use...
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    I can't help you on pieces of meat in contact with each other, haven't tried that yet - but it seems an appropriate question coming from the town of Whale's Vagina...  ;)
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • dldawes1
    Next time I cook a bunch (April 20th weekend), I'll invite you over to test taste and get a first hand view of the bark.

It does not hurt anything for the butts to touch in the egg.

Thanks,

DD

• B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    edited May 2017
    I've just read this entire thread and .... You are clearly a master.   I just purchased an XL and need all the visuals I can get. I cook for my churches life group and that's why I ended up with an XL . Great stuff. Thanks
  • dldawes1
    Thanks!  Your username is unique...can you share the story behind it?

Donnie

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Wow, that is a lot of meat! Awesome job, thanks for sharing.
    LBGE
    AL