Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have an Airstream

Options

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I used to have an Argosy, the poor mans airstream.  I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a hybrid trailer.  Looking at the Rockwood Roo, 18' or 23'.  I was amazed at how open they feel and the costs don't break the bank.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Mickey said:
    always wanted the smallest one, checked craigs list and a 1961 model is still mid 20k :o
    They priced us the 2017 Sport 16ft for $61k plus tax. That is the one that looks like an Airstream not the Basecamp. 
    that would cost me more than my mortgage payment for my camp on a lake. never going to regret buying the camp first.  =) theres deals out there for those big fifth wheelers, theres probably guys down in the sun belt that deliver them to camp sites. the shop across the street here bought a big one that was 2 years old brand new on the lot for cheap, around 20k, side pulls out for a double wide
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Wardster don't do it!!! Everyone I ask about those regrets it. Stick with a hard sided camper. Rain sleet sun or cold hot. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    For $180k you can stay in 4 seasons for the rest of your life. And you don't have to pump your own crap out of a tank. 
    And if you rent out the FS at the top of the Mandalay Bay I'm sure they'll pump it out of you for you. But, I can't confirm this. What happens there stays there, or whatever. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Mickey said:
    always wanted the smallest one, checked craigs list and a 1961 model is still mid 20k :o
    They priced us the 2017 Sport 16ft for $61k plus tax. That is the one that looks like an Airstream not the Basecamp. 
    that would cost me more than my mortgage payment for my camp on a lake. never going to regret buying the camp first.  =) theres deals out there for those big fifth wheelers, theres probably guys down in the sun belt that deliver them to camp sites. the shop across the street here bought a big one that was 2 years old brand new on the lot for cheap, around 20k, side pulls out for a double wide
    If, actually when, I go bigger than my spacious, open, highwall pup, it will be a permanent site.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    Options
    Focker said:
    Mickey said:
    If I go bigger than my spacious, open, highwall pup, it will be a permanent site.
    my dreams for the little airstream are gone, maybe one of those 4 foot tall teardrops is in my future =) the problem with buying a camp is that a few years down the road you need two
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    While we are on the topic of travel trailers, I've got a question. These dealers seemingly have hundreds if not a thousand units on site. I bet there's 10,000 units within 50 miles of my house.  Who the hell is buying that many travel trailers/RV's? You never see that many on the road or in campsites etc. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    While we are on the topic of travel trailers, I've got a question. These dealers seemingly have hundreds if not a thousand units on site. I bet there's 10,000 units within 50 miles of my house.  Who the hell is buying that many travel trailers/RV's? You never see that many on the road or in campsites etc. 
    People with good intentions of camping but never going?  I agree with you.  There is one dealer near me that specializes in big rigs, diesel pushers with the tag axle.  Roughly 500k to play at a minimum.  I didn't think my area could support that dealer let alone the rest around here.  In a one mile stretch, there must be 10 rv dealers 3 miles from where i am living.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    Options
    same here, lots of well stocked dealers. i do the trailers up here in parks being used as full time residents.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options

this would work for me B)

fukahwee maine

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

My dad told me on the weekend that he lost $170,000 on the last rv he sold.  (He owned it for less than 4 years).  In fairness, I'm sure with their following, Airstreams hold their value better than my dad's diesel pusher did.

Is seems a guy could do well for himself buying used.  As @kl8ton said, people just don't use them as much as they originally planned.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    If you want a shiny aluminum tube travel trailer get this one - http://www.bowlusroadchief.com/

Very lightweight and your Tacoma will tow it very well.

You can add a camera to the back of any trailer these days that will help with the backing up challenges.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Take a look at the Thor Vegas. Late model used can be had for 50-70K. Powerful enough to pull a jeep. Compact enough to go most anywhere a Uhaul truck can navigate.

Airstreams are cool, but slideouts make a huge difference when lounging around.

You can use an RV as a second home tax deduction.
    Gittin' there...
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if you want to showup the airstreamers, back this into the camp ground, iv slept in alot of campgrounds in my boat but this hinkley would be stylin

Image result for picnicer jet boat
    fukahwee maine

• cactus_darrell
    cactus_darrell Posts: 68
    edited March 2017
    Options

I have 1984 Airstream Excella 28ft motor home.  The one thing about Airstream trailers and motor homes is everything is top of the line first rate in quality. I purchased this to pursue my Astronomy hobby.  I have traveled many a mile to dark sites to chase those beautiful dark skies. If you have never been able to experience the awesome site of billions of stars on a black velvet sky it is really humbling. 

This picture is of my Airstream at the Canyon Tx chamber BBQ cook off last summer. My fist sanctioned cook off. We took 2 walks against 48 teams , some being very serious professionals.  We placed 2nd in chicken, 4th in brisket, and made the last table in ribs.

here is a link to my web site for my astro images  http://www.astrobin.com/138737/ click on my name to load images

My daughter with her father and mother in law, a couple of Cactus darrells  helpers.

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    For $180k you can stay in 4 seasons for the rest of your life. And you don't have to pump your own crap out of a tank. 
    And if you rent out the FS at the top of the Mandalay Bay I'm sure they'll pump it out of you for you. But, I can't confirm this. What happens there stays there, or whatever. 
    I've looked in to it. They will do it but it costs extra. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

I have 1984 Airstream Excella 28ft motor home.  The one thing about Airstream trailers and motor homes is everything is top of the line first rate in quality. I purchased this to pursue my Astronomy hobby.  I have traveled many a mile to dark sites to chase those beautiful dark skies. If you have never been able to experience the awesome site of billions of stars on a black velvet sky it is really humbling. 

This picture is of my Airstream at the Canyon Tx chamber BBQ cook off last summer. My fist sanctioned cook off. We took 2 walks against 48 teams , some being very serious professionals.  We placed 2nd in chicken, 4th in brisket, and made the last table in ribs.

here is a link to my web site for my astro images  http://www.astrobin.com/138737/ click on my name to load images

My daughter with her father and mother in law, a couple of Cactus darrells  helpers.

Ok. This link just cost me 10-15 minutes. Cool images. Too bad I have some work I should be doing. 
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I recently started looking for a small camper for working out of town, the guy we have stayed with for the past year decided to go home and after him not paying anything for the past year offered to sell his trailer to me for the same he paid for it. 
    I am looking at Coleman 15-17 ft , or comperable, but for new is still 15k$.
    Did look at the airstream models, briefly , but my Frontier costs less than they wanted for a 5 year old.
  • kl8ton
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @cactus_darrell

That thing is huge!

edit: awesome pictures too!

Grand Rapids MI
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    bigger question (from my car days) who is paying all that interest
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• kl8ton
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I am wondering if the dealers don't "buy" them until the customer does.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Mickey said:
    I am wondering if the dealers don't "buy" them until the customer i 

I bet not 2 in 500 car dealers did. The factory gave us the first 30 days free of interest. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Eoin said:
    55drum said:
    Don't know what the attraction is but everytime we visit an RV show we allways check out the Airstreams...they look good and are well made but we can't justify the price tag for what you get. 

We're on our 3rd 5'er ..no way I could give up that much room plus an extra $30k to switch to an AS....current floor plan

That's a house!  Here's my compact caravan, 500 kg so it can be pulled by anything.

back in the 70's my parents bought a similar unit called a SCAMP. They put nearly 30K miles on it pulling it with a little 6 banger Chevy II sedan. They bought it used for $600 and sold it for $1,400, Can't beat that! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    RRP said:
    Eoin said:
    55drum said:
    Don't know what the attraction is but everytime we visit an RV show we allways check out the Airstreams...they look good and are well made but we can't justify the price tag for what you get. 

We're on our 3rd 5'er ..no way I could give up that much room plus an extra $30k to switch to an AS....current floor plan

That's a house!  Here's my compact caravan, 500 kg so it can be pulled by anything.

back in the 70's my parents bought a similar unit called a SCAMP. They put nearly 30K miles on it pulling it with a little 6 banger Chevy II sedan. They bought it used for $600 and sold it for $1,400, Can't beat that! LOL
    I looked up the Scamp and it's a similar idea for a light weight caravan. This is an Eriba, designed by a German WW2 aircraft designer to be light, aerodynamic and good quality - the original was towable behind a Beetle. Aluminium skin over a steel frame, fully insulated and double glazed. These have a cult following in Europe, like the Airstream in the US.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Scamps are cool. If you like those check out www.olivertraveltrailers.com they're super cool, built like a boat even on the inside. Same idea as a scamp but much pricier.  
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Scamps are cool. If you like those check out www.olivertraveltrailers.com they're super cool, built like a boat even on the inside. Same idea as a scamp but much pricier.  
    Nice, but a lot bigger than our Eriba. Scamp looks a lot more compact.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

Screw the RV what's your telescope like?

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Sweet pictures Darrell. What would a telescope of that magnitude cost today?
    Snellville, GA

• cactus_darrell
    cactus_darrell Posts: 68
    edited March 2017
    Options
    thetrim said:

Screw the RV what's your telescope like?

I actually have it in a remote observatory in Benson AZ. I can control it from my pc here in Amarillo. It is fully automated I can open roof program telescope to track and image anywhere in the sky. Most of my images require 6+ hours of imaging time to collect enough data to create. I have been collecting photons with a ccd camera for almost 20 years. The technology has really advanced the last decade. Some really fantastic work being done by amateur astronomers. It is a expensive hobby.  I could own about 40 XL green eggs for what I have invested just in equipment.  It is a very challenging hobby which requires lots of time to collect and process data to create these colorful images. My telescope is a custom made 12.5 inch RC, I use a large format ccd camera made especially for astro-imaging, extremely sensitive. My mount is capable of tracking a star for hours at a 2 pixcel accuracy. I am a very fortunate person to be able to have such a great hobby. 

I'm not a bad egger either.

smoke on,

starman aka cactus darrell

sorry Mickey by no means meant to hijack your thread

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas