Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions from a new guy

Options
Just bought our first BGE.  Found one, brand new in the box (unopened) along with the stand and the side shelf kit, on Craigslist, of all places!  Yesterday we went to the local hardware store and bought a couple ten pound bags of GE charcoal, a pizza stone, a roast rack and Dual Probe Remote Wireless Thermometer (all GE brand). 

First question, is the 1/2" pizza stone thick enough to resist cracking?

Second, I see conversation about the "thermapen" and wonder at $73. current price (and you have to open the lid for the reading), vs. $89. for the BGE wireless that I bought?  

My plan is to do a dry run, not cooking, to season the Egg soon.

Thanks to all JR

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The pizza stone works fine.  The thermapen is an excellent accessory.  You wouldn't use your remote on a steak cook for example.  Thermopop is less expensive, works well (a few seconds slower) too.
    Welcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The pizza stone sounds thick enough to worry about any cracking. If you haven't opened the BGE wireless thermometer you might look into a Thermapen. It's the most used tool in my kitchen. It's worth every penny the 7+ years I've owned mine. Like bgebrent mentioned above the Thermopop is a nice cheaper option. Not to rip BGE too much but there are better options elsewhere that are usually cheaper for accessories. Highly recommended a good instant read thermometer though. Welcome!

PS: You might want to talk with the warranty department at Big Green Egg and see if it's possible to get warranty on the egg since it's new in the box yet. Worth a try anyway 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Love my thermopen. Great for your shorter cooks plus the wife likes it for indoor cooks as well!  Check Amazon. I thought I got my pen for 20-30 bucks and it works great! As for the stone you should be fine. Just don't temperature shock it!
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I agree that the pizza stone is fine.

I think , like Brent, that you may find eventually you want a thermopen/pop to use for different reasons.

Enjoy the dry run and getting used to the temperature control.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options

First question, is the 1/2" pizza stone thick enough to resist cracking?

Not if you drop it. ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Hello JR, congratulations on the new egg!

1. that stone will be fine for pizza
    2. There are 2 types of thermometers:

First is an instant read (i.e. Thermapen) that you use to determine if your food has reached the desired temp. The Thermapen is the gold standard, the thermopop is also very good but a few seconds slower. 

The second type of thermometer is the remote thermometer (the kind you bought) usually has 2 probes, one to monitor the temp in your pit (egg) and the other to monitor the temp of your meat. These are usually used during low ans slow cooks. You still want to use your instant read to check the temp in several places before removing the food. Thermoworks makes a few very nice leave in thermometers (I have the Smoke, it is built very well and easy to use and and I really like it).  Thermoworks is known for top notch equipment and outstanding customer service.

In my opinion the instant read is essential! Learning to cook your food to the proper temps will improve your results more than anything else. It is nice to have a remote leave in thermometer for low and slow cooks, but you can monitor your (calibrated) dome thermometer and check the meat temp with an instant read.

If it were me, I would be to return the BGE leave in thermometer, buy an Thermapen or Thermopop and then if you want a leave in, you can buy the Smoke. 

Most of all, Have a great time with your new egg!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    I will also endorse a thermopop for the quick reading thermo.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    welcome to eggland brotha!    you will enjoy many pizzas off that stone.   Just dont drop it or bang it around too much!
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    +1 on Thermapen (I recommend the MK4 backlit and waterproof)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Rte1985
    Options
    Just looked at my pen. It's a different brand "javelin" but so far has worked great and gets a reading in 2-3 seconds. Well worth the investment which ever one you get. Imo 
  • WeberWho
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Just looked at my pen. It's a different brand "javelin" but so far has worked great and gets a reading in 2-3 seconds. Well worth the investment which ever one you get. Imo 
    I hear they are nice for the price. I'd look into one if looking for a 2nd instant read thermometer. Reviews have been good
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @johnnyringo   welcome.
    If you haven't used your new thermometer, I have a suggestion.

Return it, and buy the thermoworks smoke & a thermopen or thermopop.  You will be happy you did.

thermoworks.com

Whatever you do, have a great day with the new egg.

Phoenix 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Welcome to the fun! 
    +1 on the stone being fine - just need to find your best way to elevate it up into the dome (I'm cheap and just use bricks on top of my platesetter)

+1 again on ThermoPop/Pen.  I bought my ThermoPop during an open box sale for less than $25 I think - I use it for every cook including L&S

Finally, look for bigger bags of lump than 10 lb, you're an egg addict now and will need it!  IF your dealer doesn't carry it, Firecraft has several brands and free shipping (over $100 I believe - I always seem to exceed that as I buy Rockwood in 3's so they are tightly packed in one box, smoking wood, rubs, etc..)
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Rte1985
    Options
    da87 said:
    Welcome to the fun! 
    +1 on the stone being fine - just need to find your best way to elevate it up into the dome (I'm cheap and just use bricks on top of my platesetter)

+1 again on ThermoPop/Pen.  I bought my ThermoPop during an open box sale for less than $25 I think - I use it for every cook including L&S

Finally, look for bigger bags of lump than 10 lb, you're an egg addict now and will need it!  IF your dealer doesn't carry it, Firecraft has several brands and free shipping (over $100 I believe - I always seem to exceed that as I buy Rockwood in 3's so they are tightly packed in one box, smoking wood, rubs, etc..)
    Agree! I get 6 bags of rockwood from them at a time. Always like to be stocked up. 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I use my Thermapen all the time. I have the Thermapen, POP and also have the Javelin. The Thermapen is fastest but the Javelin is pretty quick in my opinion for a much cheaper price.  https://lavatools.co/products/javelin
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I use thermapen for chicken and chops only. I do enjoy it. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    An instant read wireless thermometer is a must.

I got the Thermaworks RT600C ($30, but it's on sale now for $20), I couldn't justify spending $100 on a Thermapen. If I had to do it again, I'd probably either get the RT600C again or a Thermopop. They look kinda cool.

It does the job, and I don't see the $50-$80 benefit in the Thermapen (it's a little more accurate, reads in a 2 seconds faster and goes to 600F)
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • johnnyringo
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input!  I will return the BGE wireless thermo and ordered a Smoke and a Thermapop.  I also ordered charcoal from Firecraft.
    You guys rock!
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    wallet draining has begun!  B)  You're truly on board now
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    The way they push them you would think people on here are getting kickbacks from Thermapen. No offense intended nor am I actually accusing anyone of getting kickbacks.

If you are just starting out you have lots of other things competing for your dollars. Get a cheaper "instant" read thermometer and don't worry about the extra 2-3 seconds it takes. You can always upgrade to a Thermapen later if you find that you want it or need it.

Thermapen probably makes the best instant read thermometer but other cheaper options will work fine. Only problem I have had is holding the thermometer in the meat on high temp cooks. My hand sometimes gets too hot so I just use gloves.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger, any instant read works great for one chunk of meat. It is when you are checking multiple pieces at once. Not only does it get hot for your hand, but all that time with the dome open can feed the fire and you get a temp spike. After a plate setter (which in my opinion is not an accessory) the next best gadget is a t-pen or equivalent.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    SaintJohnsEgger said:oooo
    The way they push them you would think people on here are getting kickbacks from Thermapen. No offense intended nor am I actually accusing anyone of getting kickbacks.

If you are just starting out you have lots of other things competing for your dollars. Get a cheaper "instant" read thermometer and don't worry about the extra 2-3 seconds it takes. You can always upgrade to a Thermapen later if you find that you want it or need it.

Thermapen probably makes the best instant read thermometer but other cheaper options will work fine. Only problem I have had is holding the thermometer in the meat on high temp cooks. My hand sometimes gets too hot so I just use gloves.
    People can also buy a cheaper ceramic grill. Can you taste the difference in food between a $400 generic ceramic smoker and a $1,000 Big Green Egg? Probably not. So why do people buy the more expensive BGE? For me it was the warranty, quality of product, and others raving about it. I hate buying stuff a 2nd time. So I did the same with my Thermapen. I don't suggest any other accessories to people besides a good quality instant read thermometer. It's a game changer in my opinion. The other accessories you will be able to tell what you do and don't need over time. Does $80+ seem a little extreme for a thermometer? Yes at first. 7 years later it's been worth every single penny. It gets used every single cook. I've spent $80 much more foolishly throughout my life. I think most here just don't want others have to buy a thermometer twice. 

Minnesota
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Well, I know I was stepping in it with that post :) but it is something that has been bothering me.

Most of my cooks are low 'n slow so I am using probes from my Mavericks or more likely the FlameBoss to monitor my meats. Yes it will take a couple of seconds longer with a cheaper instant thermometer but that hasn't been a big issue. Generally the temperature shows almost immediately then takes a few seconds to finalize. When cooking to a range the first reading is probably only 2 or 3 degrees different from the final reading and that is enough to tell me what I need to know. If I am cooking a steak to medium alI need to know is if its in the 155 - 165 degree range. I may not have the final temp but I get my range reading just as fast as a Thermapen gets its final temp.

I'm not knocking Thermapens and I would love to have one. I just don't think it is a necessity though I agree that some brand of "instant' read thermometer is a necessity.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Welcome. Great advice above. BUT, No need to dry run the egg. Put some meat on it and cook away. 
    Snellville, GA

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    + infinity on the thermapen. 

The blue one one is fastest. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Welcome. Great advice above. BUT, No need to dry run the egg. Put some meat on it and cook away. 
    +1

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    As mentioned above, welcome, enjoy the addiction, and hold on to your wallet. This place will spend your money faster than you can earn it. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Warning!!
    This place is like Hotel California for your wallet. 
    Dont bother with a dry run. Fill it up to the bottom is the notches on the top fire ring find something for a heat deflector (platesetter) and through on a pork butt. One of easiest things to cook up. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    There are multiple cheaper options for an instant read thermometer.... However you will more than likely end up with a Thermapen at some point so get it now and save yourself some money... it is a game changer
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Johnny Ringo you look like someone walked over your grave, well you will once you realize the fun of stimulating the economy with do dads for your BGE !
    Enjoy the ride ! Make sure the temp gauge on your egg is x calibrated and cook away brother !
    Thermapens rock !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.