Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dwelling

Cajun
Cajun Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been lurking here since after Christmas and would like to know what dwelling is and how it is done.[p]Newbie question sure, but I want it right

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Cajun, as I understand and do it (and if I'm wrong plenty of folks will chime in), dwelling is when you completely shut down the top and bottom vent and allow the BGE to "coast" down from the temperature it current is (in the case of steaks around 650-700) while continuing to cook.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Cajun,[p]In short, it's when you cook at high temps and then shut down the Egg's vent and chimney. Basically you're snuffing out the fire like you do at the end of every cook. The difference is that the food is still in there cooking at lower temps and with much less searing than when the fire is a full bore. It's used most often when doing steaks. [p]You will often see something like: cook the steaks at 3-3-2. This means that you sear one side for 3 min and the other side for 3 min and then dwell (close up the Egg) for 2 min.[p]Tim
  • GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    Tim M,
    Just make sure you burp your egg before you open it to remove your steaks!....forgot last night...ooops..singed everything up to my eyebrows! cool looking fireball!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Cajun,
    It's a play on words. It's origin started when Mr. Mike Sutter coined it on the Kamado Inc Forum about 4 years ago. Mr. Sutter was the former webmaster there. As Tim and Wise one suggest its a period of time where the product your cooking remains in a captive heat environment.
    Perhaps to dwell on something means to "linger"?
    Sometimes we stretch the imagination in using terminology not really associated with the general practice of recipes, and cooking techniques. To each his own..
    Cheers,
    C~W

• Cajun,[p]Its indoor cooking equivalent would be searing meats on the stove top in a pan to create a crust, then putting meats in the oven to finish the cook.[p]
  • Cajun
    Thanks to Char-Woody, Tim M, gww, and Wise One for the info. I wasn't sure and I wanted to get started on the right foot.[p]I am supposed to get my "Christmas gift" today. A large egg. The wife bought it before Christmas and the BBQ Galore folks indicated a Christmas delivery. Here it is 1/19/01 and I still don't have it. Supposed to come in today. All I have are the 1,000 or so accessories I have bought since Christmas and the egg nest. Cool nest though. It is an iron one with a stainless steel sheet on top with a circular hole (empty for now) cut in the top.[p]Been lurkin' since Christmas in this forum and have probably two inches worth of paper printed out on starup, marinating, cooking, receipes, etc.[p]CAN'T WAIT TO ACTUALLY GET STARTED.[p]As I am a Cajun (born and bred), I do cook and this is definitely a step up on the Q'in side of things.[p]You guys are great and I look forward to future intercourse in this forum (pun unintended)[p]Cajun[p]

• Char-Woody
    Cajun, Great to have you aboard and your welcome. I am sure you will live up to your handle. Cajun style cooking is fantastic on the BGE. I had some firebreathing jerky with cajun seasonings..whoooooeeeeee. Lots of our folks are from the deeeeeeeep south and contribute good stuff.
    Dig in and have fun...
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    char buddy, thats pretty good, wish I had said that..:-)
    Nice comparison, no smoke tho :-)
    C~W[p]

• Cajun
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for your kind words. One thing though. I have run across this everywhere I go. Cajun cooking is spicy, and not necessarily just "Whoop te do" hot. Although I like it hot, the main deal with cooking Cajun style is the "homegrown" spices and ways we combine things for flavoring. Of cource, hot stuff is one of the main ingredients.[p]Thanks again

• SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    gww,
    It only required once to lose all the hair on my arm before I got a pair of leather welders gloves. They are now one of my most used Eggcessories. Well worth the low cost and can be found at HomeDepot, Lowes and a lots of hardware stores (also known as a mans toy shop).
    SloMo[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    gww,
    heh heh heh. Fire. Heh heh heh. Cool. Heh heh heh.
    Yep. Pays to be on your toes while playing with oxygen starved fires.
    Hope they grow back quick.
    great weekend to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • gww, I`m REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping you weren`t naked![p]Roger