Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for dill pickle recommendations

Options
13»

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Like everything else....someone wrote a song about it.

https://youtu.be/BvLtNBm1yyA
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    RRP said:
    What's the difference between Kosher and Dill?  Are you an anti-semite?
    No, not at all!!! If you read about them such as in ILovePickles.com kosher pickles include garlic while straight dill pickles don't.

Just playing. I had to Google it....i had no idea what the difference was. Learn something new every day. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    I'm really fond of Nalley Hamburger Dills, but I think they're only available west of the mississippi (they beat the heck out of both Claussen and Vlasics).  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I much prefer to buy whole pickles and slice them into chips. They seem to be better that way to me. Could be psychological, but I don't think so. I like vlasic for classic dill and Claussen for Kosher.
     I like most pickles to some degree, but I would rather serve good bread and butters on the side. I mix it up though. 
    Hey, Pete, I'm older than you are but I believe we both grew up in small towns during simpler times...you in IL and me in MO. Anyway I remember as a kid going to the snack bar during intermission at the drive inn and buying a chilled dill pickle sealed with juice in a small bag. Since opening it was sloppy and sure to get on your shirt that's why you ate it outside the car preferably sitting on the benches outside the snack bar. Do you remember those days and that pickle product? Does anybody else? 

Hello Houston...HELLO...COME IN HOUSTON...do you copy? :o
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    RRP said:
    I much prefer to buy whole pickles and slice them into chips. They seem to be better that way to me. Could be psychological, but I don't think so. I like vlasic for classic dill and Claussen for Kosher.
     I like most pickles to some degree, but I would rather serve good bread and butters on the side. I mix it up though. 
    Hey, Pete, I'm older than you are but I believe we both grew up in small towns during simpler times...you in IL and me in MO. Anyway I remember as a kid going to the snack bar during intermission at the drive inn and buying a chilled dill pickle sealed with juice in a small bag. Since opening it was sloppy and sure to get on your shirt that's why you ate it outside the car preferably sitting on the benches outside the snack bar. Do you remember those days and that pickle product? Does anybody else? 

Ron - For work, I visit a few convenience markets every year.  A lot of them carry pickles individually sealed in plastic.  You'll find them in the same cooler as the Oscar Meyer products.  I'm sure the pickles are fine because they are in brine, but beware the out-dated Oscar Meyer products.
    Flint, Michigan
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    The Chicago Pickle Company (Chipico) makes great dill pickles - better than Claussen in my opinion.  Unfortunately, we can't get them here in Colorado.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:

Ron - For work, I visit a few convenience markets every year.  A lot of them carry pickles individually sealed in plastic.  You'll find them in the same cooler as the Oscar Meyer products.  I'm sure the pickles are fine because they are in brine, but beware the out-dated Oscar Meyer products.
    Yeah, I was gonna say they still sell them. Every once in a while you find a jar of huge dill pickles at a really good deli too. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Here is something for the deep thinkers to ponder. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    These are very good and their kraut is even better.

http://www.realpickles.com/products_overview.html
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    RRP said:

Ron, you and Pat should bring the Vette up during one of the classic car nights at the 61 Drive In off Hwy 61 in Maquoketa, IA.  It is a pleasant trip down memory lane, the kids love it.  They haven't changed much in the snack bar, still has that red and white checkered charm.  You can't grill out, but we take snacks, fly kites, throw the lighted frisby around, so much fun.  You would absolutely love it, a hidden gem.  I posted some pics several years back on the old forum.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Someone else may have mentioned this, but if you like the McClures whole pickles but not the chips, try slicing up the whole pickles. I think when they are pre-sliced the flavor is more concentrated since the chips soak up more of the brine. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    These are very good and their kraut is even better.

http://www.realpickles.com/products_overview.html
    Unfortunately, they say they don't ship to outside of the New England/Northeast area.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Love a good kosher dill, but not on hamburgers. I used to buy Vlasic hamburger dill chips, but they apparently no longer make them. I can't find them in stores any more, or on their website. All they have now are Ovals. Same pickle I guess, just larger and, well, oval. I preferred the chips.

Mt Olive dill chips are pretty good too. 

I don't eat pickles often because of the high sodium content. Vlasic Ovals come in at a whopping 390 mg per oz! However, I just discovered that ALDI "Great Gherkins" brand hamburger dill chips have "only" 265 mg. Still a lot, but I will feel a little less guilty. And yes, I did buy some. $1.49 for a huge 1 quart jar (smallest they had)! Pretty good too! Very crisp and crunchy, unlike other brands I've tried.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    You probably don't have a Publix, but they have a store brand dill pickle that can really hold it's own. It is the closest to a home made garlic dill that I have found.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    RRP said:  
    Anyway I remember as a kid going to the snack bar during intermission at the drive inn and buying a chilled dill pickle sealed with juice in a small bag. Since opening it was sloppy and sure to get on your shirt that's why you ate it outside the car preferably sitting on the benches outside the snack bar. Do you remember those days and that pickle product? Does anybody else? 
    Completely off-topic, but I'm 57 years old and have never been to a drive-in.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    We eat Vlasic Classic Dill Stackers. I really prefer the long cut for better coverage. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm currently settling for these, but "settling" is the key word as I'm not happy with them.

Rarely is a man entirely satisfied with his pickle. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Botch said:
    RRP said:  
    Anyway I remember as a kid going to the snack bar during intermission at the drive inn and buying a chilled dill pickle sealed with juice in a small bag. Since opening it was sloppy and sure to get on your shirt that's why you ate it outside the car preferably sitting on the benches outside the snack bar. Do you remember those days and that pickle product? Does anybody else? 
    Sorry to hear you had such a deprived childhood. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Botch said:
    RRP said:  
    Too bad - guess you also never experienced the juvenile thrill of sneaking in to the drive in somebodies trunk, nor later as a teenage driver the thrill of driving in the "out" lane with your lights off to sneak in. Our graduation night party in 1962 was at the drive in theater...I haven't a clue what movie was being shown that night!
    Guess it all boils down to the adage of "where you were when" !
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    This is off topic but I'm snacking on pickle wraps. Thin sliced ham cream cheese dill pickle... delicious 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    This is off topic but I'm snacking on pickle wraps. Thin sliced ham cream cheese dill pickle... delicious 
    Pickle wraps are one of the Christmas staples at the Nickerson family shindigs....Buddig corned beef, Philly cream cheese, Claussens.  Solid buzzed up grazing material.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Our version uses green onions.
    Flint, Michigan
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Our version uses green onions.
    Yes and they are called polish roses!  

Delicious.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Love a good kosher dill, but not on hamburgers. I used to buy Vlasic hamburger dill chips, but they apparently no longer make them. I can't find them in stores any more, or on their website. All they have now are Ovals. Same pickle I guess, just larger and, well, oval. I preferred the chips.

Mt Olive dill chips are pretty good too. 

I don't eat pickles often because of the high sodium content. Vlasic Ovals come in at a whopping 390 mg per oz! However, I just discovered that ALDI "Great Gherkins" brand hamburger dill chips have "only" 265 mg. Still a lot, but I will feel a little less guilty. And yes, I did buy some. $1.49 for a huge 1 quart jar (smallest they had)! Pretty good too! Very crisp and crunchy, unlike other brands I've tried.
    bought the big jar of great gherkin dill yesterday as well, pretty darn good. cant beat $1.49
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow