Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone smash burgers?

Options
I make a pretty mean smash burger on the grill in a CI skillet, but curious about making on the new griddle.   How long do you heat it for and when do you throw down the oil to the griddle?  Just before the burgers go on or while it is heating up?
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yes oil the griddle. Get it hot just like a pan. Ball up and smash. This is a drunk cook. Get a drink!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Dude, you're making this way complicated. Just throw a damn meat ball on the super hot Blackstone and smash that sheet 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    fact:  I overthink pretty much everything.   Good to go.   So far mine seem better in the CI on the grill for some reason, but it was still tasty.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    dont oil the blackstone for smash burgers, just get it roaring hot on the highest setting and drop them on and smash. you want them to stick and char then flip, they wont stick and char well with oil, its a wasted step. wipe griddle clean before adding more

Image result for burgers fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    I agree with not using oil.  We smash 2 oz. balls of meat, and stack 2 or 3 per burger with cheese in between.  These really thin patties get a great crust on them.  It is very helpful to smash the tops of them using a small cast iron skillet with parchment squares between the CI and the patty.  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I agree with not using oil.  We smash 2 oz. balls of meat, and stack 2 or 3 per burger with cheese in between.  These really thin patties get a great crust on them.  It is very helpful to smash the tops of them using a small cast iron skillet with parchment squares between the CI and the patty.  
    thats what i want, that great crust and cooked so fast they are still dripping juicy
    fukahwee maine

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Zactly, @fishlessman!  These cook so fast that you really have to have all your ducks in a row to serve dinner, before you start.  If I don't get these once a week, I start to get a little grumpy!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The guy who started the smashburger restaurant puts butter on the flattop before he puts the beef on.

I use a piece of aluminum foil instead of parchment paper.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    The guy who started the smashburger restaurant puts butter on the flattop before he puts the beef on.

its bettah without the buttah ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

That would be a first...lol
    Next your going to tell me it's better without bacon. Get a rope! 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NewBerlinEggprentice
    edited March 2017
    Options

I've done smash burgers twice on my Blackstone. My problem was too big of meat balls to start. They don't fit on the bun!! I know, I know...that's a first world problem. I will do 2 oz as mentioned above, then hit it with rub and drop in on the screaming hot flat top.

I smash mine with round CI bacon press I got from Lodge, once the juice breaks the surface I carefully scrape (to preserve the crust) with a rigid spatula and flip. Done a minute later.

I am also in the "no oil", but maybe adding a pad of butter to the top after the flip would be good! How would it not be?

I haven't made a burger any other way since the Blackstone came into my life.

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• fishlessman
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

puttin buttah on a screaming hot bs and you have instant burnt buttah
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Watching the video of the founder making one, his flattop doesn't look like it's all that hot. dunno. mine is always hot, but i usually don't use butter (mostly cuz i forget). lol

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Watching the video of the founder making one, his flattop doesn't look like it's all that hot. dunno. mine is always hot, but i usually don't use butter (mostly cuz i forget). lol
    hes just making greasy fast food on a standard flat top temp ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Question?? Do you smash as soon as you put it on the griddle?
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I do.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I do.
    Man I haven’t heard from you in forever. Hope All is well. Thanks for the tip!!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

I've done smash burgers twice on my Blackstone. My problem was too big of meat balls to start. They don't fit on the bun!! I know, I know...that's a first world problem. I will do 2 oz as mentioned above, then hit it with rub and drop in on the screaming hot flat top.

I smash mine with round CI bacon press I got from Lodge, once the juice breaks the surface I carefully scrape (to preserve the crust) with a rigid spatula and flip. Done a minute later.

I am also in the "no oil", but maybe adding a pad of butter to the top after the flip would be good! How would it not be?

I haven't made a burger any other way since the Blackstone came into my life.

That's the picture of the 7 day old year so far!  Hilarious. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @Central_Bama_Egger I am still around. Just not on the forum as much anymore. I hope life is treating you well.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    2- 2oz balls, no oil.  Cheese on both.  Cheesy with perfect crust.  Add a fried egg like @fishlessman and you will never find anything better!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    The key here is to keep the spatula on the burgers for a little bit (10-15 seconds). Dont just smash and pick up spatula. Then when flipping make sure you dont remove the crust you just worked to achieve.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I don't have a Blackstone, but want to create these diner style burgers on the Egg.  I do have a cast iron piece that fits on the large, with grids on one side and flat on the other.  Question is what temp should I do these on the Egg?  Next question is how bad will these be using 93/7 beef instead of the more fatty 85/15 ratio?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    500 said:
    I don't have a Blackstone, but want to create these diner style burgers on the Egg.  I do have a cast iron piece that fits on the large, with grids on one side and flat on the other.  Question is what temp should I do these on the Egg?  Next question is how bad will these be using 93/7 beef instead of the more fatty 85/15 ratio?
    I have issues with that lean of beef staying together.  

I would have to check again, but I think my blackstone surface temps can get up over 400.  For me it depends on the wind and the ambient outdoor temp.  On a windy -10F degree day, I know the surface temp was no where near 400.   I think you would be fine to get your cast iron to 350-400 degrees.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    500 said:
    I have issues with that lean of beef staying together.  

I would have to check again, but I think my blackstone surface temps can get up over 400.  For me it depends on the wind and the ambient outdoor temp.  On a windy -10F degree day, I know the surface temp was no where near 400.   I think you would be fine to get your cast iron to 350-400 degrees.  
    @500 I agree with @kl8ton on both counts. I have done them on a CI piece on the egg and I ran a little hot so I would stick with 350-400 dome temp. The problem with going hotter is the CI piece may be hotter than the dome reads, and you can get flames coming around the CI. 

93/7 will be fine as long as you mix it with ground bacon :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Sounds good.  Thanks for the input.  This will have to be a Guy's Night meal.  I think the 93/7 will not be fatty enough to work.   When I do burgers that lean grilled they turn out OK but I know they can be better, but most of the time, we cook leaner cuts. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    As for the fat content - most of the really good tasting fast food burgers out there are mid-high 20's%  fat content. 
  • Carolina Q
    edited January 2018
    Options

@NewBerlinEggprentice, I usually smash a 1/3 lb ball to about 1/2" thickness (the same size they sell at the Smashburger stores). They fit perfectly on the brioche buns I buy at ALDI. Those buns are quite a bit larger than the standard hamburger bun. Sold in a 4-pack.
    Related image

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Does anyone else use a spatula and have issues with the meat sticking to the spatula when you smash it? I see in this thread where others use foil or wax paper to prevent this??
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    EggMcMic said:
    Does anyone else use a spatula and have issues with the meat sticking to the spatula when you smash it? I see in this thread where others use foil or wax paper to prevent this??
    I use parchment paper. I wouldn't use wax paper as I'm not sure how heat resistant is is.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    When I worked at steak n shake, the trick was to let one side of your meat ball or puck sit and cook for 20-30 seconds, then flip and smash. The partly cooked spot on the back kept the spatula from sticking as the grease and fat was melted there. 

Another tip, when smashing, dont just mash the thing flat from the top. We would smash from the outside to create a thin edge with a thicker middle. This gave you a way to slide the spatula off the patty from the side back to the middle as you lifted to prevent pulling the meat up. 

Grill needs to be HOT and dont use any oil. Need that instant sear to happen, also helps hold the patty down after smashing. 

When I get my blackstone fired up (after the house is built) i will do a picture tutorial of how we did it when I worked there. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)