Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Question

Options
Good Mornin' Folks! I'm planning on my first Baby Back cook this weekend. Was going through some of the posts on how Ya'll cook 'em. Some of you were stating numbers, like 2/1/1, or 2.5/1.5/.5. Looked through many posts trying to figure that out, but haven't been able to break the code :-(  Would you folks please enlighten a Noob please?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Ribs cooking on grate/wrap ribs in foil or paper/unwrap and continue cooking.

The numbers refer to the length of time (hours) at each stage.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Thank you Saluki!

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,858
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

As @saluki2007 said. 

You can get a lot of debate/opinion about whether or not to wrap, and if so, for how long.  One thing that's pretty clear is that 2 hours in foil is too long and turns ribs a little (or a lot) mushy. 

One thing everybody agrees on is that the bend test and the toothpick test are the end point - although some ribs inherently bend more than others so some of us have found the toothpick (toothpick or other sharp object probes through the meat like "buttah") test seemingly more reliable.

So, how you get there is less important than where you end up.

Enjoy the journey.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    No problem.  FWIW, wrapping is not necessary on the egg.  The only time I do is when I've got some skimpy looking ribs.  I also use the toothpick test to figure out when they are done.  Simply insert a tooth pick in between the bones and if it slides in and out with ease then they are done.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• kweitz
    Options
    OK, so if I foil the ribs using a rib rack, should I take each individual rib section and wrap each one? Or just tent the foil over the whole rack of ribs?

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    kweitz said:
    OK, so if I foil the ribs using a rib rack, should I take each individual rib section and wrap each one? Or just tent the foil over the whole rack of ribs?
    Take the slabs out of the rack and wrap individualy - add squeeze butter honey and brown sugar during the wrap for a little boost 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    I cook them underwater for about 36 hours, then an hour on the egg to finish up.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I thought  they had to have at least 25 posts before we could reveal the meaning of the secret numbers.

Serious, they are just suggestions and you should try the 3/2/1/ combo and see how you and your family like that combination. Then if they like them chewier or more fall of the bone adjust accordingly. The total time won't change much but the time in the foil (middle) will probably need to change. I find that 2 is too much for our preferences.

But experiment as that is the fun part( along with the eating).
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I find 3-2-1 to be way overdone on the egg. Everything cooks faster in the egg imo. This is due to the consistently moist environment. I go 3.5 to 4 bones down. I have done the foil in the past with mixed results. It is too easy to overlook them imo. Plus I am a dry or semi- dry rub guy these days.   

Enjoy the ride. 
  • kweitz
    Options
    @mlamb01- Thank You! Is 36 hours under water long enough?

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    For me with baby backs on the egg 2:1:1 at 250 - 275 works well. I wrap (tight enough so they really steam) with a little 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% apple juice. Light sauce on for the last 30 - 45 min seems enough for our palate as well, sauce for the full hour likes to carmalize too much for our taste. For spare ribs we like either 3:1:1 or 2.5:1.5:1 for normal racks and 3:2:1 when thick/big.  Hope you find some of this helpful!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    This may sound stupid but my plan is rub and cook until done. No binders, no foil. No ratios. 

Yesterdays: 300 degrees until done - about two hours or so. At 350 they take about 90 minutes.

If the meat isn't tender enough and you want to cook longer, but the crust is getting too done, you can baste with half vinegar half apple juice. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    kweitz said:
    Take the slabs out of the rack and wrap individualy - add squeeze butter honey and brown sugar during the wrap for a little boost 
    Yes to what he said. But once I wrap them I just stack them on the grate. Its all about steaming and softening up the meat at this point.

I use butter (squeezable), honey and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Experimenting with flavors here is another part of the fun.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,633
    Options
    321 is perfect if you want to pull the bones out and make McRib sandwiches.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    kweitz said:
    Good Mornin' Folks! I'm planning on my first Baby Back cook this weekend. Was going through some of the posts on how Ya'll cook 'em. Some of you were stating numbers, like 2/1/1, or 2.5/1.5/.5. Looked through many posts trying to figure that out, but haven't been able to break the code :-(  Would you folks please enlighten a Noob please?
    if you are going with this method theres two important things mostly left out in the technique. the middle stage is the foil stage, start checking for tenderness after 45 minutes, the 1 hour or 2 hours is a guide, you need to check or they turn to mush.  second is meet side down in the foil, meat side up and they dont braise, you need the meat side down.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it