Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Madras

Eoin
Eoin Posts: 4,304
A recipe I do a lot on the hob with either chicken or lamb. I made a masala with fried onions and spices. Dried and fresh chillies, half of the fresh green chillies whole so the heat can be varied accoding to taste - eat with or without for hot or extra hot.

This is a couple of lbs of cubed lamb shoulder plus 2 shanks. The lamb was coated in the spices then water added to braise.

Egging with a piece of apple wood, lid off so the smoke gets in the curry.

Comments

• Eoin
    Getting there now. Bit more reduction needed.

• Looking good!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Eoin
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2017
    What in the world is a hob? Kidding mate. Love shanks on the egg. Any braise is really much better on fire. I did braised shanks in kilkenny and clamatto juice yesterday but it was too damn cold to go out to the egg. Bravo on the lamb!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1062943#Comment_1062943

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Those shanks must have been divine. Braised meats need some bones!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Thanks,

Made almost the same ones yesterday on the hob (snicker). I used clamatto with the Irish ale. Unfortunately you will never be able to recreate it cause you can't get Kilkenny in the US

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    Thanks,

Made almost the same ones yesterday on the hob (snicker). I used clamatto with the Irish ale. Unfortunately you will never be able to recreate it cause you can't get Kilkenny in the US
    i bet that changes when they get the us guinness plant up and running =) ive seen the kilkenny sold in assorted 12 packs and i think the shipment wasnt planned, someone goofed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    edited March 2017
    Thanks,

i bet that changes when they get the us guinness plant up and running =) ive seen the kilkenny sold in assorted 12 packs and i think the shipment wasnt planned, someone goofed
    I sent you some of that back in the day. Tell me stike didn't drink it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Thanks,

I sent you some of that back in the day. Tell me stike didn't drink it.
    you trusted stike with sharing kilkenny
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Now you're gonna tell me he kept all the bomba too. :o

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Now you're gonna tell me he kept all the bomba too. :o
    i know i got some bomba that you sent to me to share with stike =) but was there more
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    caliking said:
    Those shanks must have been divine. Braised meats need some bones!!
    I wanted the shanks in there so the gravy gets some body.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Shoo-wee that looks good!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I hope lamb is cheaper there than it is here. I thought your boys would eat a whole sheep in a weekend. My folks raised a small flock of sheep 30 years ago for a few years but they kept dying of some parasite. So they switched to turkeys. Nothing now since they got old.
  • Eoin
    I hope lamb is cheaper there than it is here. I thought your boys would eat a whole sheep in a weekend. My folks raised a small flock of sheep 30 years ago for a few years but they kept dying of some parasite. So they switched to turkeys. Nothing now since they got old.
    Shoulder and shanks are the cheapest cuts of lamb here. The 2 lbs of diced shoulder was about £10 and the 2 shanks about £4, so £14 all in for a big pan of curry.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    Eoin said:
    Shoulder and shanks are the cheapest cuts of lamb here. The 2 lbs of diced shoulder was about £10 and the 2 shanks about £4, so £14 all in for a big pan of curry.
    £4 for two shanks is really cheap (compared to what's around where I am), where did you get them from?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Eoin
    Eoin said:
    £4 for two shanks is really cheap (compared to what's around where I am), where did you get them from?
    Sainsburys. I thought they were cheap, might have been an offer on the day, we don't normally shop there but were passing.