Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Table

Options
2»

Comments

• Almondo123
    Options
    Hi does anyone know how wide the hole for the egg should be for a medium egg and also how much to raise the lower shelf?

Many thanks!
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    On the BGE website there are plans for making a basic table for a medium and a large egg.  Their medium plans say 18" diameter, and a 13" table top to shelf top distance.  A footnote to the plan says it assumes you have a  nest under the egg.  You may have to adjust that 13" measure if you have other plans for under your egg.

The plan is semi-hidden on the BGE website, but the file name for the medium egg is
    BGE-TP-MEDIUM.pdf
    I am sure google will get you there.

Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • brocklang
    Options
    I'm planning out a table for my egg and had a couple of questions.  How did you attach the upper and lower deck frames to the legs?  Did you build the frames first and then attach?  
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply @brocklang.

If u look at the plans, the support for the lower level wraps around the post. I used wood glue at the Kreg jig at each inner face of the posts. This made for a super strong bond which has supported my large egg now for 3 and a half years.

I hope that helps!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Wow, my spelling sucks. Wood glue and screws using the Kreg jig at each interface.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    Great build, just a fantastic looking job!  I have to ask as I'm about to drop my lg into its table this weekend. Does the egg need a paver under the table nest? Or is a nest alone ok? I've read multiple times not to set the egg on just a paver w/o some type of air gap. But I don't know if the gap under the nest will be enough. 
  • djtech2k
    djtech2k Posts: 32
    Options
    I am looking to build a table and this one looks pretty simple.  A couple quick questions..

Is the bottom shelf identical to the top shelf?  In other words, is there is a 2x4 frame with 1 brace in the middle?  I ask because I was a little worried about the weight of the egg sitting on the 1x6 cedar with no brace directly under it.

I am wondering about whether I should put some kind of block or insert in or on the table for hot stuff.  How hard is it to do an insert?  I could just put something on top, but if its not a lot of work, I;d prefer it build in.  Any material suggestions?

I am definitely novice so I am always looking for a simple, quality way to do it.  I'd love to have a table with a cooler or more storage in it, but I have not seen any plans for something like that, other than some $1500+ tables, which are too much and too big for my needs.

I like this plan because it looks pretty nice but doesn't seem too difficult.
  • djtech2k
    djtech2k Posts: 32
    Options
    One other question...

Would pocket screws linking the 2x4's and pocket screws attaching the 4x4 to the 2x4 frame be string enough?  I'm just worried about the weight of the egg on just pocket screws.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    @djtech2k I used the poker screw as I wrote above and it has held up for 7 years and 2 moves. So I'm gonna say it's good enough. I used wood glue and pocket screw with the kreg jig for all attachments. The only thing I didn't glue was the top as I wanted to be able to remove it if I wanted a new top, or wanted to make the top granite, etc. I have the center bar on the top too. 

Sinking a stone or something in the table for hot stuff is out of my woodworking wheelhouse. I would rather just do a granite top instead. I put hot stuff on it all the time and just get some scorches! The top is well loved at this point, but works great! Good luck!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • djtech2k
    Options
    I have some questions about the bracing under the table tops.  I am finally working on mine.  I cannot see where the braces go under the 2 table tops.

I am building the frame for the table tops but it looks like the one that gets the gold cut out has a brace in a different spot than the other.

Do you have any sketches or measurements of those?
  • djtech2k
    Options
    Anyone have any idea about the braces?  I want to get the right measurements for the top and the bottom shelves/tabletops so I do not have to redo it along the way.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't been online as much recently. The braces are in the middle. I did post a sketch with measurements that should answer any questions on dimensions for you. You might consider raising the lower shelf 1/2" as I think I had it a little low. The height depends on the wheels you use also, so keep that in mind when you cut the 4x4's.

Hope that helps.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE