Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Asheville, NC

Options
GATraveller
GATraveller Posts: 8,207
Wife and I are getting away from the kids for a few days at the end of the month.  Neither one of us has been before and wanted to see if anyone has some restaurant recommendations.  

Thanks for your help!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Don't know if you are big on brewery hopping, but Asheville Brewing Company and Wicked Weed Brewery had good menus. Old Europe is a neat little coffee shop with excellent pastries. Curate is supposed to be excellent, but I didn't get a chance to go when I was down there in the fall. Bouchon is good too. For breakfast, Over Easy Cafe is good - really nice huevos rancheros. I stayed at the Renaissance downtown and only did walkable stuff. Don't mind the hipsters, they're mostly harmless. French Broad Chocolate had good desserts, but they were a little overbearing with hipsterdom. Old Europe was much more laid back and had better stuff(and cheaper!).
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    It's been a while since we've been there, but these are my recollections from our trip.

Curate for Spanish tapas is a winner.  Loved their croquetas, gambas al ajillo, and chistorra con pure de patatas.  Also indulge in the jamon iberico de bellota - probably the best meat on the planet.

If you're looking for BBQ - I haven't been but Buxton Hall just got named one of Bon Appetit's 10 best new restaurants for 2016.

Tupelo Honey made a good brunch or lunch spot.  If you're into beer, the Thirsty Monk was a fun spot.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh, if you are going to breweries, make sure to hit up Burial Brew Co., especially if you like Burt Reynolds. That might be the best beer I've ever had, especially the horchata porter, if they have it. They had a lavender stout that was incredible too. The only problem is everything is a one-off and they bottle very rarely, so there isn't much to take home and they weren't doing growlers when I was there.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Go to Rubarb....and have their Pork Collar and Collards.  http://www.rhubarbasheville.com/

A must do for breakfast / Buunch at the original Tuppolo Honey. The one in the downtown area. They have added one on the south side of town....which I have not been to. 

BBQ Ribs- You must try the blueberry Chiplotle Ribs at 12 Bones Smokehouse. It is a lunch place only I believe. 

I am wil @Eggcelsior on Ashville Brewing Company. I love their Shiva IPA. They have very good pizza. Just north of the city and well worth a uber ride or dirve is a family Italian reasturant that has laid some mighty fine grub on me several times. It is right next to a secound Ashville Brewing Company location. It is called
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.  I had looked into Curate this morning but seems to be booked up already - day and night.  Pretty sure we'll hit Buxton Hall one day for lunch. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great little town. It has been a while but I remember this place was really good. 
    http://www.limonesrestaurant.com/

They had some great margaritas. 

Another laid back option is Mellow Mushroom. They have those here in GA too but the one in Ash Vegas had a great outdoor patio and great beer selection. 

Wicked Wed and Ashville Brewing would definitely be on the agenda for us.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Golfguy77
    Golfguy77 Posts: 93
    Options
    Go to Curate and sit at the bar.  No reservation needed, plus you get to watch them cook!  
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Second for Tupelo Honey for breakfast/brunch.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.  I had looked into Curate this morning but seems to be booked up already - day and night.  Pretty sure we'll hit Buxton Hall one day for lunch. 
    Asheville has lots of great restaurants and most of them are booked up all the time. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited March 2017
    Options
    We went last year.  Great time.  

A few places we went were White Duck Taco Shop (lunch), Biscuit Head (breakfast), Mafel's (dinner), and Tupelo Honey (lunch).  We're not much into drinking, so I don't have any recommendations on that.  

We stayed at Hotel Indigo while there.  Very convenient walking distance to everything.  Take good walking shoes!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    Get in the car and drive approximately 20-30 minutes to Sierra Nevada's version of the Taj Mahal. Great beer, great food (kitchen crew can be seen in garden getting fresh produce and herbs) and just an amazing space. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    Options
    Sunset dinner on the porch at Grove Park is as good as it gets. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Sunset dinner on the porch at Grove Park is as good as it gets. 
    Wife and I spent a couple nights there back 30 years ago on our honeymoon. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    kjs said:
    Get in the car and drive approximately 20-30 minutes to Sierra Nevada's version of the Taj Mahal. Great beer, great food (kitchen crew can be seen in garden getting fresh produce and herbs) and just an amazing space. 
    I would find a designated driver if I were you. ;)

• tclamberth
    tclamberth Posts: 162
    Options
    Wife and I are heading there at the end of April...will
    keep up with this post
    Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner
  • GATraveller
    Options
    kjs said:
    That would be me......April 6 will be 10 years since my last drink.   =)

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    Options
    kjs said:
    In that case....can I join you?  ;)

• GATraveller
    Options
    kjs said:
    In that case....can I join you?  ;)
    Hahaha......that's funny!!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I go all the time. Got married on a golf course there and FIL is about to by mountain house there. 

As mentioned, Curate is good. But packed. If you want an unreal meal a hair out of downtown go to Admiral. My favorite restaurant there. It looks like hole in the wall but is extremely good. Their old chef left and started Buxton Hall BBQ. Great experience so go here for lunch- James Beard finalist. Hush puppies are really good. Bouchon is good too. Next to Buxton is catawba brewery and vortex doughnuts. That strip will make your trip worthwhile. Wicked weed has a unique selection of beers. LAB (Lexington Avenue Brewery) is cool to sit and have an afternoon cocktail. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I go all the time. Got married on a golf course there and FIL is about to by mountain house there. 

As mentioned, Curate is good. But packed. If you want an unreal meal a hair out of downtown go to Admiral. My favorite restaurant there. It looks like hole in the wall but is extremely good. Their old chef left and started Buxton Hall BBQ. Great experience so go here for lunch- James Beard finalist. Hush puppies are really good. Bouchon is good too. Next to Buxton is catawba brewery and vortex doughnuts. That strip will make your trip worthwhile. Wicked weed has a unique selection of beers. LAB (Lexington Avenue Brewery) is cool to sit and have an afternoon cocktail. 
    Funny you mention Admiral. I agree that it's best in show but no one talks about it because it isn't in a great part of town. I think it's excellent. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • AppStateDDS
    AppStateDDS Posts: 100
    Options
    Tupelo Honey for breakfast or lunch; Biscuit Head for breakfast; Limones for dinner.  Wife and I felt Curate was overrated, but didn't have anything bad there.  Chocolate Gems for that sort of thing; good selection, and you don't have to wait in that dang line for French Broad Chocolates.  LAB as mentioned earlier;  Burial Beer; Sierra Nevada or New Belgium for the mega breweries.  That street with Buxton Hall, Vortex, Catawba Brewing is good -  Man, just lots of neat places to visit in Asheville!  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • GATraveller
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just might have to give Admiral a try......

Thanks everyone.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    If you go to Asheville Brewing go to the Cox road location. A block away from that is Wicked Weed Funkatorium where they brew their sours, then 2 blocks from there is Buxton Hall (get there early usually long lines) Next door to Buxton is Catawba Brewing and right down the street is Sycamore Brewing. New Belgium is up and running with tours and their tasting room is open though I haven't been there yet. 
         Don't forget West Asheville on Haywood road, lots of great restaurants with a bit of a funkier vibe. Biscuit Head(lines), Sunny Pointe Cafe and my favorite King Daddy Chicken and Waffles. I heard a new "Barcade" just opened on Haywood with $10 free play on all of their machines but haven't checked that out yet either. Post when you are there as I need to check on our house around that time and would love to meet up if possible.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    If you go to Asheville Brewing go to the Cox road location. A block away from that is Wicked Weed Funkatorium where they brew their sours, then 2 blocks from there is Buxton Hall (get there early usually long lines) Next door to Buxton is Catawba Brewing and right down the street is Sycamore Brewing. New Belgium is up and running with tours and their tasting room is open though I haven't been there yet. 
         Don't forget West Asheville on Haywood road, lots of great restaurants with a bit of a funkier vibe. Biscuit Head(lines), Sunny Pointe Cafe and my favorite King Daddy Chicken and Waffles. I heard a new "Barcade" just opened on Haywood with $10 free play on all of their machines but haven't checked that out yet either. Post when you are there as I need to check on our house around that time and would love to meet up if possible.
    Also Highwire (Brewery) is just around the corner from the ABC (Cox) location. Have had a few excelent pints there myself. Worth a quick stop.

• GATraveller
    Options
    Got into town just before lunch and ate Buxton Hall BBQ. They specialize in whole hog pulled pork. I had a pork and hash combo with collard greens. It was great!  Pork was tender, fresh and smoky. They have 3 sauces on the table - tomato, mustard and vinegar/black pepper. I used vinegar. Hash was awesome. Almost like Brunswick stew without the veggies but thicker and you eat it on rice. Collards were good but a bit on the sweet side. They had awesome looking pies (butterscotch, banana, coconut creme and moon) but I couldn't fit it. Definitely worth the $ and I'd recommend to anyone who visits. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Got into town just before lunch and ate Buxton Hall BBQ. They specialize in whole hog pulled pork. I had a pork and hash combo with collard greens. It was great!  Pork was tender, fresh and smoky. They have 3 sauces on the table - tomato, mustard and vinegar/black pepper. I used vinegar. Hash was awesome. Almost like Brunswick stew without the veggies but thicker and you eat it on rice. Collards were good but a bit on the sweet side. They had awesome looking pies (butterscotch, banana, coconut creme and moon) but I couldn't fit it. Definitely worth the $ and I'd recommend to anyone who visits. 

You guys have a big time while you are there. Looks like things started off excellent. You are gonna have to have some Cola hash....I'll hook you up.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    All Souls Pizza is a fantastic pizza place - I'd recommend it over Mellow Mushroom.  Haven't seen it mentioned yet.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I love Asheville.  if you are a beer drinker, start out at the Thirsty Monk on Patton.  Ask for a map and work your way down the hill hitting the breweries.  My personal favorites are Hi-Wire and Burial.  Lots of great beer and great food in the city.  My wife and I are going to Hot Springs NC in a few weeks and once we leave are headed to Asheville the next day.   
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    I like Wicked Weed brewery (kind of a love hate kind of place) also hit up Sierra Nevada even if you are not a beer guy the place is awesome and the food it great.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.