Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF at Costco...

Options
Saw this today and figured I'd try it out as I haven't had a chance to get any SRF products yet. Was a nice surprise and I haven't seen or noticed it there before. We picked up some Costco prime rib cap and pork belly as well. This was at the Bellingham, WA location. 

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Nice. I'm wondering if SRF will only be carried at NW Costco's or if they plan to distribute nationwide. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    Was wondering the same thing @CTMike and if they'll be carrying anything else of theirs as well. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I would be looking for more of their product line as every beef product I have had from them has been top-notch.  No experience with the corned beef but based on their quality and customer service I would jump on that as you did.  
    Should you wish to expedite the out-flow of $$ to SRF here's a link that will suck your wallet dry:  ;) 
    http://www.snakeriverfarms.com  
    BTW- no affiliation here other than extremely pleased with their products and service for many years.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap I've seen them spoken of very highly on the forum, so was excited to get something to try and at 7.79/lb it seemed like a great way to start. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    Luvnlife said:
    Thanks @lousubcap I've seen them spoken of very highly on the forum, so was excited to get something to try and at 7.79/lb it seemed like a great way to start. 
    7.79/lb .... please say you are lying.  I would buy everything they had.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • CTMike
    Options
    Luvnlife said:
    7.79/lb .... please say you are lying.  I would buy everything they had.
    I would have emptied the display case. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Yeah it's 3.60lb and cost $28.04. That would cost a bit as they had a cooler section full of them.
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Guess I'll check my olympia and tumwater costcos =)
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Any suggestions for cooking these on the egg? From what I've read, need to soak it for a while to get rid of salt. Just curious if anyone else has tried and what they did? Thanks. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have a Piggly Wiggly in my area that carries SRF brisket.
    I had no idea a brisket could sell for $200
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @GregW - Here's a link to their web site where you can lighten your wallet:
    https://www.snakeriverfarms.com  I can only speak to their steaks and briskets but you get your $$ worth with the quality.
    (No affiliation other than I strongly endorse their products and customer service.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Options
    I saw the SRF corned beef at Woodinville Costco as well, my guess is its only for St Patty's Day 
  • CTMike
    Options
    @SRFShane

Shane, can you chime in on whether these will be distributed at Costco nationwide or just regional? Also, will Costco start to carry other SRF products?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Anybody have any cool ideas.? Besides normal boiling method?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    20% solution (up to) but hey gluten free........lol

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    tjv said:

t

What is the "normal" or good solution percentage for a pre-packaged corned beef. I thought they were always packaged in a solution? Is this really high?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Smoke it to 160 then pressure cook it for an hour or so if you want pastrami, or just straight up pressure cook it.
  • SRFANNELLA
    Options
    CTMike said:
    @SRFShane

Shane, can you chime in on whether these will be distributed at Costco nationwide or just regional? Also, will Costco start to carry other SRF products?
    Hey Gang. Just a heads up, Shane has moved on from SRF so please know we're not ignoring you. I'm Annella and you're welcome to reach out to me anytime with any questions you might have, and feel free to engage in general banter anytime you'd like. You'll likely see comments from myself and/or @SRF_Sean from time to time so feel free to let us know if you need anything.  

In regards to corned beef in Costco. Those delicious beauties will be available through St. Patrick's Day in the Seattle (WA), Boise (ID), and San Francisco (CA) Bay Area Costcos. 

We are always looking for new products to get into those markets and expanding the number of stores you can find us at. 

I'm excited to be here on the forum and look forward to chatting more with all of you. 
    Annella Kelso 
    Meat Maven | Snake River Farms 
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    Welcome @SRFANNELLA . I picked one up  in Missoula Montana yesterday ! Thanks 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'd pastrami the hell out of that.
    NOLA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Who are you and what have you done with Shane? =)   Welcome to the forum.

@SRFANNELLA @SRF_Sean

Got any of those you can sell thru the website or some other way to members who don't live in those markets or were they all shipped out to those Costcos??
  • SRFANNELLA
    Options

@SRFANNELLA @SRF_Sean

Got any of those you can sell thru the website or some other way to members who don't live in those markets or were they all shipped out to those Costcos??
    Shane is safe no worries! We are actually running a sale this week on our site where you can pick up our corned beef for $10 off when you use promo code LUCKY17 at checkout. http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/specials.html
    Annella Kelso 
    Meat Maven | Snake River Farms 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

@SRFANNELLA @SRF_Sean

Shane is safe no worries! We are actually running a sale this week on our site where you can pick up our corned beef for $10 off when you use promo code LUCKY17 at checkout. http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/specials.html
    Still not even close to the Costco deal.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    CTMike said:
    @SRFShane

Hey Gang. Just a heads up, Shane has moved on from SRF so please know we're not ignoring you. I'm Annella and you're welcome to reach out to me anytime with any questions you might have, and feel free to engage in general banter anytime you'd like. You'll likely see comments from myself and/or @SRF_Sean from time to time so feel free to let us know if you need anything.  

In regards to corned beef in Costco. Those delicious beauties will be available through St. Patrick's Day in the Seattle (WA), Boise (ID), and San Francisco (CA) Bay Area Costcos. 

We are always looking for new products to get into those markets and expanding the number of stores you can find us at. 

I'm excited to be here on the forum and look forward to chatting more with all of you. 
    Wait. Shane is gone? For real?!

He was a great source for us.  
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Anybody have any cool ideas.? Besides normal boiling method?
    If you have a sous vide, 165 for 8 hours. Take out and slice. Fork tender and delicious. 
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions @Legume @kbutler84
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Checked with the meat Dept manager at my local Costco and he never heard of SRF. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • znagle28
    znagle28 Posts: 33
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

@SRFANNELLA @SRF_Sean

Still not even close to the Costco deal.
    If we could get the Costco deal online I'd probably order a few myself.
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    The cuts on from Costco are Kobe round and the corner beef on their site are wagyu brisket . Probably why the differences in price
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    tjv said:

t

What is the "normal" or good solution percentage for a pre-packaged corned beef. I thought they were always packaged in a solution? Is this really high?
    it seems high to me for a meat that still needs to go into the "pool" to cook.    

given it's a great grade of meat, I'd be afraid the end product would be "hammy" like.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.