Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it safe or not ... Beef Ribs

Options
I've had beef ribs in a cryo pac in the fridge for 6 weeks.  If it was a brisket I would cook it.

Are ribs safe?
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• Meeeshigan22
    Options
    I'd take them out, rinse them, and let sit for an hour. If they're funky pitch em.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Paging @SGH
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,112
    Options
    Don't feed them to @Jeepster47
    Don't worry he won't eat my food.  It will just depress him seeing how much he has to improve.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes.
    Agree.  Wet aged beef.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    There were several packs at publix tonight for ~5.00.  For 5.00 difference I'm pitching them. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    There were several packs at publix tonight for ~5.00.  For 5.00 difference I'm pitching them. 
    This was 2 packs of prime.  4 bone plates.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Still pitching them. Food poisoning sucks. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Don't feed them to @Jeepster47
    Don't worry he won't eat my food.  It will just depress him seeing how much he has to improve.
    Ouch. I thought I was rough. Poor @Jeepster47
  • pgprescott
    Options

Jeremiah said:
    This was 2 packs of prime.  4 bone plates.
    I see guys on here bragging about the aging of their beef????? What gives???
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

6 weeks?!  clearly I'm over cautious.  (I wouldn't bother even asking after one week)

Phoenix 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!  Freeze them and send them to me ASAP.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Cryo pac had no bubbles, color was good.  My outdoor fridge is 34 deg.  Gonna take one for the team and see what happens.

Seasoned with salt, pepper, and habenero death dust.

Pork and chicken I will only go 3-4 days.  Beef doesn't worry me very much.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Still pitching them. Food poisoning sucks. 
    Defintely wouldn't serve to guests.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Cryo pac had no bubbles, color was good.  My outdoor fridge is 34 deg.  Gonna take one for the team and see what happens.

If it makes you feel better, you can't identify pathogens by looking at food.  Or by smell.  If you could, no one would get food poisoning.

OK, that probably doesn't make you feel better.  Anyways, properly handled beef stored at 34 degrees wouldn't bother me.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I'm in on morbid curiosity with no opinion. 

I am always the first to panic and throw food away. I say experiment. Do it for the man I want to be. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    blind99 said:

If it makes you feel better, you can't identify pathogens by looking at food.  Or by smell.  If you could, no one would get food poisoning.

OK, that probably doesn't make you feel better.  Anyways, properly handled beef stored at 34 degrees wouldn't bother me.
    Yeah, doesn't make me feel better ;)  I have seen ground beef go bad.  Actually, felt it.  It went all grey and felt slimy.  I pitched that.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Your fine man.  Might be the best beef ribs ever.  34 was good.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No
    Text me and ship so i can fully assess them. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Your cooking them, right?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Yup, seasoned and put back in fridge.  Cooking them tomorrow morning.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    They'll be good brother, enjoy.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Yup, seasoned and put back in fridge.  Cooking them tomorrow morning.
    Is this Ozzie's last post? How many did he consume? Did he pass with a smile on his face? Was his boots still on? 

So many questions.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Morbid Inquiring Minds want to know!!!  How were the ribs?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Going on the egg in an hour or so :)  You will have to wait a little longer for my demise.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    He is probably still gnawing on the bones.......
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I had beef ribs in the cryo for around that much time.  I trimmed off a lil ugly pieces and served em to guests with no concerns.  They were money!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....