Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time at Ribs

Options
not sure what I would do without my BGE. My first rack of ribs and they were my favorite. I started out simple by dry rub coarse salt, brown sugar, pepper and powdered onion. I like my ribs on the dryer side so cooked them around 160 with hickory wood. 

XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 

Comments

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

Most eggcelent!

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Nice. Always a bonus when you hit a homerun at your first plate appearance. Thanks for sharing. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nicely done!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yep.  Looking good.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Love bge ribs! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • calracefan
    Options

Looks as though you could have cooked a little longer , don't see any pull back on the bone . But all that matters is you were happy ! Ribs are always good off the egg !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
     I like my ribs on the dryer side so cooked them around 160 with hickory wood. 

@sjm1027

Did you cook to a temp? Never heard of that with ribs.

I always use the "bend test" or a toothpick inserted between the bones to determine doneness.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Very good 1st time. Similar thing happened w. a friend of mine. He didn't buy an Egg for the longest time, thought they were too expensive. Finally found one on Craigslist. 1st ribs, and his wife said "These are the best you've ever made."

But, they'll get better
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Ribs are my fave. Those look delicious.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    sjm1027 said:
     I like my ribs on the dryer side so cooked them around 160 with hickory wood. 

@sjm1027

Did you cook to a temp? Never heard of that with ribs.

I always use the "bend test" or a toothpick inserted between the bones to determine doneness.
    Yes used a probe and tested several places along the rack
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer