Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermoworks Smoke

Options
just wondering if anyone is using the thermoworks Smoke. 
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Several folks here have one already (and if you did a search on "smoke" on this forum, no telling what kind of threads you got :lol:)
    I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one myself; my two previous wireless thermo's worked exactly twice each, then went on the fritz.  I'm super-happy with my Thermopen, totally reliable over the last few years, so I hope my Smoke works as well.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I ordered mine the day they were released - love it.  Mine had an issue about 3 months in - true to form, Thermoworks replaced it with new one.  

Great company - great product.

Phoenix 
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Like blasting I preordered mine as soon as they were announced. I got tired of my Maverick probes going bad and the short distance the Maverick covered. I like the ability to change the probes for whatever configuration I need (ambient temp, waterproof needle probe, regular meat probe). My only complaints while minor are, the remote does not have a stand and to reset to high-low readings the unit has to be turned off and then on. The readings I'm talking about are not the set temp but the low-high history. The range of the smoke is excellent and since it's a Thermoworks product you know the quality and support are great.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I have one and am very pleased with the performance.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    As soon as my Maverick dies (still on original batteries after 1.5 years), I will spring for the Smoke.  Thermoworks is a fantastic company to deal with.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    As soon as my Maverick dies (still on original batteries after 1.5 years), I will spring for the Smoke.  Thermoworks is a fantastic company to deal with.
    I have had my Thermoworks for ~6 years, same batteries, one probe died, remote never worked w a darn.

I need a thermo______ before I replace with a smoke
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    I picked up a smoke when they were first released, it was been flawless so far.  I would estimate it has around 80-100 hours of operation, still on the first set of batteries.  Actually when I was sticking it in the brisket this morning at 5:00AM I was wondering just how long the batteries should last.....
  • nick50
    nick50 Posts: 49
    Options
    I bought one and have used it for two cooks now.  Works well - good controls, probes look fairly rugged and is in good agreement with my Thermopen (and also the Egg thermometer)
  • Wolfe
    Wolfe Posts: 79
    Options
    Got mine last week, first time using it today on 15lb turkey.  Love it, easyto use. 
  • balamaci
    Options
    I got mine for Christmas and it is way better then my old Maverick. To me it is  a lot easier to change and set the cooking and grill tempatures.
    LBGE, CGS Adjustable Rig & Spider,  Weber Kettle, Weber Summit,Thermoworks Smoke, Smokeware Cap
    Johns Island, SC, Fairfax, VA

• grillingunner
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.  How is the range with the wireless.  I know that they say 300 feet but in real world scenarios what can you expect for the range or the remote unit.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.  How is the range with the wireless.  I know that they say 300 feet but in real world scenarios what can you expect for the range or the remote unit.

My home is thick block construction, and it works anywhere in the house for me.  I have not tested beyond that.

Phoenix 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I'm waiting for them to release the wifi gateway.

paqman said:
    Yes, then hopefully the old model smoke will go on sale.  I waiting till then!!!
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    paqman said:
    Yes, then hopefully the old model smoke will go on sale.  I waiting till then!!!
    It still puzzles me that the Smoke, and the basic Thermapen, are only within $9 of each other.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    The Smoke operates in the same 2.4ghz band as many other low power devices (like BlueTooth).

It gets the same range as any of my other wireless thermos. Some folks have seen more range, some have seen less. Really depends on how much "stuff" the signal has to penetrate.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited February 2017
    Options
    paqman said:
    @Dinah_Moe_Humm The wifi gateway will be an "add on".  I don't think that there will be an "old" model.  The gateway will replace the receiver.

Options
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    @Dinah_Moe_Humm The wifi gateway will be an "add on".  I don't think that there will be an "old" model.  The gateway will replace the receiver.
    I don't think the gateway replaces the receiver it just supplements it and feeds the signal from he main unit to your WiFI router. You'll still be able to use the receiver.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Ordered Smoke today... grate probe on my Maverick was reading 345 while (according to my Thermopen and the dome temp) it should have said 275....

Maverick to the trash bin.  (Still on the original set of batteries!)

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Dinah_Moe_Humm Posts: 111
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I did buy the "Smoke" recently when Thermoworks had the 15% off store wide.  I do like it and it works well.  But now I find myself a "temperature jukee", constantly watching the display for any incremental change in temperature.  Before I'd just used the dome temp and check it once in a while.  Now, with the "Smoke" I think I spend more time hovering over the egg adjusting for temps.  Also, the one thing I don't like about the "Smoke" is that it doesn't have an accumulative timer. 
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA