Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have an Instant Pot? Are they worth having?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Paging @paqman as I believe he just picked one up.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I like mine, I've had it only a few months.  I won't give up my slow cookers, but it definitely has a spot in my kitchen.  For me, it excels at giving me the ability to whip something together quickly that resembles something planned and cooked in the crock pot.  fantastic for beans.
  • Yep, very useful.  HB eggs, potato salad, mashed pots, stocks/soups/stews, butternut squash,spaghetti squash, beans, rice.  I use it enough to keep it on my counter.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Lot's of threads here discussing these.

IMHO yes. Tho, for me, PC's don't always replace my crockpot or rice cooker.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Go for it!  I'm using it almost daily since I got it.  Soups, chili, ribs, yogurt, chicken/beef stock.

If you want to make yogurt, get the Smart or the one with the yogurt button (I think that it's the Duo).  There are several versions so keep your eyes open.

I'm cooking French Canadian Pea soup right now

This must be all the rage now.  Wife said this week she wants one, I think she is at the store now getting it.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Mickey
    I don't have the Insta Pot but I do have an Elite electric pressure cooker. It sure makes life easy for some things. A lot of the new PC's are multi use tools. They have a built in function to serve as a slow cooker or crock pot, you can brown meat in them, and they are as the name implies, a pressure cooker. I think that if you take the time to really learn how to use it that you will love it. Again, some of the newer ones serve as several different appliances. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited February 2017
    I bought a regular stovetop Presto 8 qt pressure cooker a year or so ago. Absolutely LOVE it. I'm cooking some pinto beans tonight and a 1 lb bag of dried, unsoaked beans will be on my plate in about 30 minutes. Stew, chill, beans, lentils, chicken - tons of stuff. Even did a butt once. Edible, but I won't do it again.

I have to look at a chart to see how long to cook stuff and how best to release the pressure. Apparently, I wouldn't have to do that with the IP (just press a button that says "stew" or some such), but it's truly not an issue.

Also, most stovetops cook at 15 PSI and the electrics are around 11-12. So mine will cook stuff slightly faster than the IP. Some stovetops can be dual PSI. Mine is 15 only and I don't know why I'd need lower PSI.

Also, many recipes are written for 15 PSI. Don't know how automated the IP really is, but supposedly it's stupid simple to use. I've never even seen one. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I'm old school. I have a Fissler pressure cooker. The 8.5 and 4.2 pressure skillet.
    They are amazing pieces of cookware. 
  • Have the faberware version. Use it a couple times a week for quick beans/steamed veggies/soups 
  • I have another brand of a electric pressure cooker,  they are great. hard  boiled eggs-5 mins,  fresh green beans -4 mins,   pot roast-50 mins,  boiled peanuts- 80 mins, ,  plus it doubles as a slow cooker.    buy one, you will not regret it. 

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Got one for Christmas. Love it! Probably won't use the crockpot again. Now, if I only had a nickel for each time somebody told me not to blow myself up with it, I could buy another one...
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    No, doubt, yes. Does in an hour what a crock pot does in 8 hours
  • Carolina Q
    jeffwit said:
    Now, if I only had a nickel for each time somebody told me not to blow myself up with it, I could buy another one...
    The only one who ever tells me that is my 100 year old mom. And she actually DID have one blow up... about 60 years ago! =) Pretty sure they are safer now. 

Old horror stories die hard!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    stompbox said:
    This must be all the rage now.  Wife said this week she wants one, I think she is at the store now getting it.
    The fad has been building for a couple years.

In a couple more years you'll find them in garage sales for $10.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Forgot about cheesecake 

YES. I received one for my birthday and have used it twice. Baked beans and chili in around 30 minutes each.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I have the Instant Pot & love it. I use the hell out of it too. They have a great forum on Faceplant too.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Carolina Q
    Just finished dinner, which included the 30 minute pressure cooked pintos. Outstanding!!

30 is a bit misleading though. It takes a few minutes to bring it up to pressure, 30 minutes under pressure for the cook and then whatever time is needed to allow the pressure to release on it's own (10-15 maybe?). Still, not long. And delicious!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    I have one and made some wonderful beef stew in it.  Most recently I discovered the ability to make farkin' fantastic caramel with it, using canned sweetened condensed milk.  I make up a few cans at a time and they are always fresh when opened, we love them with apple slices.  Get one!
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I use mine a lot. Was on sale for $69 around Christmas atleast I think that was the price. Either way it's nice I do the beef stew all the time it's an hour long but that's to sear the chuck roast and cook then add the veggies and cook. Also great for rice. 
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    I've seen the "Infomercial" on late night TV while channel surfing for something similar. Same thing I assume? I have an old school Kuhn Rikon that we use from time to time. Can't see a pressing need to replace it with a push button model. 

On the other hand, the big 10 quart model advertises it can hold a whole Turkey. Don't know if that would turn out very good though. I like my Mad Max an awful lot....
    South SLO County
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    My 8 quart InstantPot arrived this week while I was traveling. Got home tonight and it was in a YUGE box. Got it unpacked and looking forward to trying it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    paqman said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    I've seen the "Infomercial" on late night TV while channel surfing for something similar. Same thing I assume? I have an old school Kuhn Rikon that we use from time to time. Can't see a pressing need to replace it with a push button model. 

On the other hand, the big 10 quart model advertises it can hold a whole Turkey. Don't know if that would turn out very good though. I like my Mad Max an awful lot....
    A benefit that the Instant Pot has over other brands is that its inner pot is made of stainless steel.  All other brands that I have seen have a teflon coating that will eventually scratch.
    GoWise, Secura, Midea, Cosori, Fagor (and others I've seen) all make models with stainless steel pots.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    paqman said:
    SoCalWJS said:

A benefit that the Instant Pot has over other brands is that its inner pot is made of stainless steel.  All other brands that I have seen have a teflon coating that will eventually scratch.
    I was watching some YouTube stuff on it and the "Semi Gourmet" lady was using various inserts in it, like her rice cooker insert. The versatility of this thing is great.
  • I have read several reviews on this PC and i think i might just spend some of my retirement bucks on this.  
    Darn Mickey, you have a way of getting me to spend my retirement $$ (rest of $$ going for new handgun). 
    Have you bought the Airstream? 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    HeavyG said:
    paqman said:
    SoCalWJS said:

GoWise, Secura, Midea, Cosori, Fagor (and others I've seen) all make models with stainless steel pots.
    After checking mine is a fagor. Huh. Couldn't remember which one I bought. I like it. 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Like @HeavyG said. There are many that have the stainless insert as a standard and more that offer it as an optional added piece. I have the Go Wise 8 quart with the stainless steel insert and it's great. I also have the Presto 8 quart stainless stove top that is also great. Can't go wrong with either choice. Stove top, you have to choose your time and release method like @Carolina Q said, whereas, the electric is push a button to make your choice and the machine does the rest.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC