Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Remington 700

Options
Certain year models fire spontaneously. Remington is supposedly changing those triggers free of charge.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Saw 60 Minutes last night.  A full recall could put them out of business.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Remington is total junk. I had a 597 blow up in the face only to find out it was recalled. My grandfather's model 12P shotgun I inherited was part of a class action lawsuit for exploding barrels. The 700 triggers have been a known issue for years. There are way too many other reputable firearm makers out there to worry about your safety with a Remington. I will NEVER pull the trigger on a Remington product again. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    This has been known for years.
    Sad, as in pathetic, it has taken Remington this long to officially address their tragic flaw.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Botch said:
    Saw 60 Minutes last night.  A full recall could put them out of business.  
    Good. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    700's scare the $hit out of me. I have one 870 wingmaster when they used to do solid woodwork in the 70s and a 870 AOW with a Salvo just to play around. 

For any field work I use Benelli. 

Also, here is a pic of a steak. To ward off the buffalo  

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    And my 870 AOW with suppressor 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    +1 on the Benelli. I have a Southpaw SBE2 that I had fit to me and it's hands down the sweetest shooting shotgun I've ever shot. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Timney is a nice replacement trigger. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited February 2017
    Options
    And my 870 AOW with suppressor 
    Wow for a second there I thought your floor was a forest, then I realized your stools were just blending in
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I have been on the fence about a LH SBE2 for a while. I have spent so long eating brass I just started ignoring it. 

@bigalsworth I busted a hole in an old set of waders and made those seat covers out of them.  They are great for the shop. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Model 700 has had issues for years.  I thought they fixed this same issue already?  They got caught hiding problems with this action before.  They designed a new trigger in the 80s, but never implemented it because of cost.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I have a 700 but has timney trigger. 

Little Rock, AR

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I have been on the fence about a LH SBE2 for a while. I have spent so long eating brass I just started ignoring it. 

@bigalsworth I busted a hole in an old set of waders and made those seat covers out of them.  They are great for the shop. 
    The 597 blowing up on me was the reason I decided that I would only shoot lefties. I might not be so lucky next time (other than the  tinnitus) 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    The recall was at least a year ago or more. Either send it in for a replacement trigger or go aftermarket. Sucks they won't just send you the trigger if you send the old one in. I never had an issue with my trigger and don't know if mine was part of the recall. It's 20+ years old. I put it in a new stock and put a Timney trigger on it about a year ago.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I rebuilt mine. It was getting a bit gnarled. I replaced the trigger in mine. I have been fortunate, not having the problem. It was stolen years ago. I replaced it with a Browning.
    It too has taken a beating, but it is much better for my use. I should had bought it initially, I think.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Didn't the "engineers" from Takata go to work for Remington to help them fix their exploding problems?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bigalsworth
    Options

thats weird, part of my comment was cut off.  There was supposed to be a smiley face to show that I was being an a$$, an a mention that you have a sweet shotgun. 
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Here is the 700 Im working on. Dont laugh at the cheap glass, Im saving for a new one. New trigger is the next step in the project.

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Remington is certainly not what it used to be. 
    I installed a new trigger on mine (it was post recall) .. But due to the scare factory trigger was like 5lbs 
    went with aftermarket , did the swap myself... It's down to 1lb 
    posted pics earlier but here they are again 

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Funny timing. Just got a bunch of cash rebate coupons for Remington firearms. Will never own one. Whichever one I get next, I need to get a can on it. 

She picked up my hat this morning and gave me a pose after she asked what it said. Must be a sign. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Battleborn indeed. Loud guns suck. 

I hardly shoot without a can anymore. I think Silencer Shop has a deal on SilencerCo and a rebate toward their store through April. Heck of a wait time right now though. I have had form 4s i have been waiting on for over 18 months. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options

I hardly shoot without a can anymore. I think Silencer Shop has a deal on SilencerCo and a rebate toward their store through April. Heck of a wait time right now though. I have had form 4s i have been waiting on for over 18 months. 
    I have not seen one come through our shop that were put in before April of last year. I have heard rumors of Form 4's that got put in in June coming back already, but I have not seen it. I have a giant safe full of customers pre 41F items waiting for stamps. 

Las Vegas, NV

• SirSquatch
    Options
    Come on Hearing Protection Act!
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • Toxarch
    Options

Any guns I might have that aren't threaded for a suppressor are in the back of the safe. I don't shoot them anymore. Loud guns definitely do suck.
    18 month wait on a Form 4? That is way too long and you should have had that in hand 10-12 months ago. You should start making phone calls.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Toxarch it was a double form 4 so I was mentally prepared for it. (Single owner over state lines transferred to store then transferred to me)

Didnt help I got the second one in the mail the Friday before 41F went in. (Also its for a SMG so I figure it may take a little longer depending on who's desk it lands on)

South of Nashville, TN

• Toxarch
    Options
    Ah, I gotcha. Makes sense now.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I have a 700 but has timney trigger. 
    This. My timney has never let me down. 
    Dyersburg, TN
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    @Toxarch it was a double form 4 so I was mentally prepared for it. (Single owner over state lines transferred to store then transferred to me)

Didnt help I got the second one in the mail the Friday before 41F went in. (Also its for a SMG so I figure it may take a little longer depending on who's desk it lands on)
    Got on form 4 out since June but that's not nearly 18 months.... just got a form 1 back from last may for dog mpx... my first one took 2 months the second took 8. Stupid 41F.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Might have to break out the Sendero for some practice this weekend  B)
    Jacksonville FL