Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick-ash basket failure

I purchased a kick-ash basket for my large a couple weeks ago...took out the grate, cleaned everything out and dropped the basket in...problem I'm having ever since I put the basket in is I can't maintain or regulate temperatures at all...iv done 3 over night cooks(1 butt and 2 briskets) and all 3 times it's been a struggle to dial the temp in...had the egg at 250 for 3 hours last night without budging and felt confident it was going to hold...woke up and fire was out and im trying to save my brisket in the oven...this happened on all 3 cooks..has anyone else had this experience? I think I'm going to take the basket out and placed the grate back in to see if the old way still works...I'm getting a little worried 

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    You've got an air flow issue somewhere. Maybe something got misaligned when you were cleaning out everything before you put the basket in. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • I've never had better temp control since I got mine. I will say that although they say you can use it with or without the bottom grate, I seemed to have problems with the grate in. I took it out and it's been awesome since. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Try using it with the fire grate in place 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mine is more predictable and very stable with the basket. Holds steady at 250 for as long as necessary.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited February 2017
    Your fire going out is not the result of the basket failing, it's a lighting the fire or a fire management failure. How are you lighting your fire?
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Agree with the above, it's not the fault of the KAB.  I like mine. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Actually, I found it easier to maintain temp after I started using the basket. Better, more consistent air flow equals better control.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Calling out the KAB?...   I sense a tsunami of butt hurt coming. 
    Lol, throw in some clump, and we'll have a full blown butt hurt sh!tstorm.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I purchased a kick-ash basket for my large a couple weeks ago...took out the grate, cleaned everything out and dropped the basket in...problem I'm having ever since I put the basket in is I can't maintain or regulate temperatures at all...iv done 3 over night cooks(1 butt and 2 briskets) and all 3 times it's been a struggle to dial the temp in...had the egg at 250 for 3 hours last night without budging and felt confident it was going to hold...woke up and fire was out and im trying to save my brisket in the oven...this happened on all 3 cooks..has anyone else had this experience? I think I'm going to take the basket out and placed the grate back in to see if the old way still works...I'm getting a little worried 
    Having a steady temp for 3 hours is the definition of a well regulated/maintained temperature.  It really sounds like you are running out of lump. How much did you put in the egg?  Normally you should have lump up near the top of the fire ring for a long cook. How much of the lump was left when the fire went out? What did the lump look like when the fire went out (eg, large open hole in the middle with some lump around the edge?)?

Some people seem to think you should only fill up to the top of the KAB.  You need to bury it when doing a long and slow.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Calling out the KAB?...   I sense a tsunami of butt hurt coming. 
    I should have re arranged my title to say Failure at the kick-ash basket!!! No negative feelings towards them at all!
  • I purchased a kick-ash basket for my large a couple weeks ago...took out the grate, cleaned everything out and dropped the basket in...problem I'm having ever since I put the basket in is I can't maintain or regulate temperatures at all...iv done 3 over night cooks(1 butt and 2 briskets) and all 3 times it's been a struggle to dial the temp in...had the egg at 250 for 3 hours last night without budging and felt confident it was going to hold...woke up and fire was out and im trying to save my brisket in the oven...this happened on all 3 cooks..has anyone else had this experience? I think I'm going to take the basket out and placed the grate back in to see if the old way still works...I'm getting a little worried 
    Having a steady temp for 3 hours is the definition of a well regulated/maintained temperature.  It really sounds like you are running out of lump. How much did you put in the egg?  Normally you should have lump up near the top of the fire ring for a long cook. How much of the lump was left when the fire went out? What did the lump look like when the fire went out (eg, large open hole in the middle with some lump around the edge?)?

Some people seem to think you should only fill up to the top of the KAB.  You need to bury it when doing a long and slow.
    On this cook I actually put all new fresh lump inside...I just poured it in until the basket was full...here's a picture of what it looked like this morning..I guess something is not aligned properly...I'll just have to double check everything 
  • Jeremiah said:
    I have a whole body shop filled
    with wrecked cars. It was the road's fault. 
    At least that's what a good lawyer will say!
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Looking at the pic I think the issue may have been too many big pieces.  The lump burned under those and the fire wasnt in contact.  I would break up the bigger pieces so that they fill the empty space better. 
    What @SmokeyPitt said!!!  I might add that I'm wondering if you really got the lump started well... I have a KAB in my Large and a Fishbone in my MM... both work significantly better than the "regular" BGE grate!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    While i agree with @SmokeyPitt  - I also think you need more lump.  You said you filled it until your basket was full - you need to put way more lump in than that.  Fill it to that top ring.  I think it may be called the fire ring?

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton said:
    While i agree with @SmokeyPitt  - I also think you need more lump.  You said you filled it until your basket was full - you need to put way more lump in than that.  Fill it to that top ring.  I think it may be called the fire ring?

Yep, fire ring. For long low-and-slows, I fill mine up as high as I can- meaning as long as the platesetter can fit.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Checking alignment is simple, if you can get the rake into the bottom of the fire box, the fire box is positioned correctly. Load the egg up to the top of the fire ring (ok for some larger pieces on the bottom) the setter/deflector should almost be in contact with the lump. Start the lump towards the front and on the top. The fire has to follow the air down to the air. Don't think it is the KAB. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    You ran out of fuel. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    looks like improper lump placement, big stuff at the bottom, small up top. Also add more lump.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    More lump please.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • sometimes all you need is someone else telling you that you are overthinking it and dumb...thanks for all the help guys and can't wait to fire it up again...went outside and cleaned everything out, ready to go! Bottom pic is just showing the firebox is aligned 

• Miked125 said:
    looks like improper lump placement, big stuff at the bottom, small up top. Also add more lump.
    More lump?  Yes.  Improper placement?  I've never had a problem with this method:
    1. Open bag.
    2. Tip bag dumping lump in egg.
    3. Light.
    Flint, Michigan
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Double check to see if your fire bowl is in line with the vent. Sometimes the fire bowl can get shifted and not be lined up with the lower vent. It will reduce the oxygen to the fire
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I should have re arranged my title to say Failure at the kick-ash basket!!! No negative feelings towards them at all!
    There are some sensitive folks here when it comes to their baskets and caps. 
    ...and rubs and lump, and...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    I like and use both products (plus CGS, Flameboss, etc products), but have no problems with others who don't feel the products fit their style of cooking.  But, please, be sensitive to the fact that the majority of our good accessory products come from small companies.  I don't think any of those folks are making a killing off their offerings, most of them are in it 'cuz they love BBQing and have an idea/skill set that they want to share with us.

So yes, many of us are sensitive about bad publicity, not for the product so much, but for the folks behind the product.

Now, where did I get this damn soap box form anyway?  Cheers mate.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    HeavyG said:
    ...and rubs and lump, and...
    Coolers