Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking on the Egg, Suggestions and Recipes?

Hey all, I have a baking podcast and we're coming up on a month when our focus will be either cast iron baking or baking on the BGE. So far I've mastered (kind of) no knead bread, pie, gallettes, fruit crumbles, and chocolate chip cookies. I am hoping you could share your "tried and true" recipes and/or best baking tips. Thank you so much!

~Andrea

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Here is a proven winner time after time!!!

Triple Chocolate and Kahlua Cake

Recipe courtesy of Ron Pratt aka RRP – Dunlap, IL

Questions? Feel free to email me directly at: ron.pat@comcast.net

1 box of Pillsbury Moist Supreme German Chocolate cake mix (forget the ingredients the box calls for - all you want is the mix)

1 3.9 oz package if Jell-O brand instant chocolate pudding

6 oz chocolate chips (Hershey’s Special Dark Semi-Sweet chips are the best!)

1 pint of sour cream  (regular, not Light)

3/4 cup veggie oil

4 eggs (yolks + whites)

1/3 cup Kahlua

Set up the BGE for an indirect cook with plate setter inverted and grill sitting on legs.

Stabilize fire at 350 and make sure there is no smoke - this may take extra time but you really need the 350 stability plus the smoke free fire.

Mix all the ingredients well with a mixer as the batter is very thick!

Spray bundt pan with a baker's spray like Baker's Secret or Bake Ease even if your bundt pan is Teflon coated.

Bake at 350 for 50 to 55 minutes and test with a toothpick. I've baked this several times now and it takes me 60 to 63 minutes before the toothpick comes out clean.

Remove from BGE and let the cake settle and cool still in the bundt pan for at least 15 minutes - flip and it should fall out with ease. Let it cool longer yet - if you can at all so it will firm up...especially since the chocolate chips are still gooey at that warm stage!  Suit yourself about an icing, but I like to let this cake speak for itself!

By the nature of the ingredients it is an extremely moist cake. BTW I think the cake is far better the next day and it really keeps quite well just covered on the counter! I hope yours comes out as well!

Source: Derived from a post by egger Tammy Jacques a.k.a. Mrs. Squeeze eons ago

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ShesGotEggs
    ShesGotEggs Posts: 103
    edited January 2017
    @RRP moist cake with Kahlua how could this not be great???? Thank you! What is your BGE setup when baking this, do you use a platesetter or place the pan directly on the grates?
  • RRP
    @RRP moist cake with Kahlua how could this not be great???? Thank you! What is your BGE setup when baking this, do you use a platesetter or place the pan directly on the grates?
    Like I said in the recipe:
    Set up the BGE for an indirect cook with plate setter inverted and grill sitting on legs.
  • @RRP I need to slow down when reading! Sorry about that...totally missed it. Thank you.
  • RRP
    @RRP I need to slow down when reading! Sorry about that...totally missed it. Thank you.
    LOL - no problem. BTW make sure your dome thermometer probe doesn't end up in the bundt pan when you close. Also if you are using a medium egg I have found I can't use the grill and instead put 3 spacers on the inverted PS and place the bundt pan on them. 
  • I have an XL so shouldn't be a problem! Thanks for the heads up.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• That's a beautiful cake, thank you @SmokeyPitt
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited February 2017
    Baking bread and/or pizza in a BGE. I mount the plate setter legs down. I elevate the pizza stone above the felt line. I completely remove the top vent and control the baking temperature with just the bottom vent. I find that a 14" pizza stone is the optimum size for the large BGE. That allows the optimum air flow, like in a brick oven. 

This setup is designed to replicate the dynamics of a brick oven. Lots and lots of airflow and utilizing both radiant heat and convection heat. 

I bake sourdough bread and most pizza at 500° to 550°. I bake Neapolitan Pizza at 800° to 1000°. 

Leaving the top vent off gives you great airflow and it allows you to watch how your bread and pizza dough is browning. You can open the dome to rotate your bread or pizza to get even browning. 

I use silicone baking matts under both bread and pizza dough to make loading, rotating and unloading easier.

The upside down stainless steel mixing bowl is used to trap the steam from the dough during the first half of the cook, not used for pizza. 
  • Pictures... The loaf of sourdough bread was a 75% hydration prefermented dough that was also kept in the fridge overnight to delay the final proofing after final shaping. 

• @HogHeaven that is a beautiful loaf!!
  • Peach Cobbler is our fav. Also cinnamon rolls, and muffins. Always a win for breakfast before a long day of drinking and Egging. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Also epic call sign. Every time I see it I have ZZ Top pop off in my head. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• @HogHeaven that is a beautiful loaf!!
    I'm a breadhead... I've baked a few 100 loaves of sourdough bread on my large BGE.
  • @HogHeaven. Very envious. Beautiful looking loaves. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Cornbread. Mickeys Modified Texas Cornbread:.
    2 C Lamb's Stone Ground Corn Meal (or any)...
    1 t Salt...
    2 Eggs...
    2 T Vegetable oil ((or)) bacon fat
    2 t Baking Powder...
    2 T Sugar...
    3/4 C ButterMilk...
    5 thick crisp slice bacon crumbled...
    Small or half lg onion...
    Fry chopped bacon in bacon grease...
    Fry chopped onion & jalapeño in grease...
    Candied jalapeño  or chopped reg fried with onion...
    3/4 can creamed corn...
    Cup Shredded cheddar cheese...

preparation...
    Preheat egg/oven to 400 degrees. Pour all ingredeints in a bowl and mix with a fork until blended (about 50 strokes)...
    I put my bacon greased CI in the Egg/oven for a good     10/15 mins before pouring in batter...
     Pour batter into a pre-heated bacon greased CI
    skillet. Place skillet in Egg/oven and cook 25/30 minutes until fully baked. Top of the cornbread will be slightly brown and firm to the touch. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.