Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firecraft

Options

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Legume said:
    I think focusing on just the red and giving up on the black has really allowed them to move their product forward. laser focus baby, that's what it takes in today's market.  I'm almost excited enough to tie my dog's leash to my XL and start throwing tennis balls.
    Too bad the red is so ugly on a grill like this. Everytime I see one, it reminds me of a Herpes outbreak. Maybe if it was smooth...
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I agree @Legume, it would be hard to add the red one next to the green...  but if they keep improving I might have to go color blind... 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • flexfusion
    Options
    I've had both and the KJ is a very good grill.  Bought a Challenger table for a KJ Classic and found out after I bought the grill the hole wasn't big enough even though Challenger folks said it would fit.  Sold my KJ and bought a BGE 18" and it fits.  Cooked several times on the KJ sitting the stand and really like their cooking grill arrangement and the way it cooks.  BGE is sitting on their laurels and need to take notice as their huge market share is going to shrink.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • volminimax
    Options
    BGE will learn one way or another, you can't stand pat in the business world. Your either improving or losing market share. No one stays in the same place for long. Not sure I wouldn't have went KJ if I hadn't done more research first.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
    my next kamado will be a Joe Jr.  The necessary 'accessories' with the BGE are a little absurd.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    PlanSB said:
    my next kamado will be a Joe Jr.  The necessary 'accessories' with the BGE are a little absurd.
    I see it as choice. Everything is ala carte, therefore you buy only what you want or need. Usually the former!
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    BGE's lack of concern about innovation or competition has me convinced that the current owners are content to milk this cow for another few years and then sell the business.

In addition to KJ's push to innovation, I really like their focus on practicality and value. Here's an example of what looks like a new table from KJ that is useful, but not made from exotic wood and not priced for the top end of the market:

(image taken from: http://kamadojoegrillingpassion.blogspot.ca/2017/02/check-out-2017-kamado-joe-changes.html)

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    PlanSB said:
    I see it as choice. Everything is ala carte, therefore you buy only what you want or need. Usually the former!
    Except that everyone who buys a ceramic grill wants to cook indirect with it, make the most use of its limited space, and would use multizone cooking options if they were available. Is there a single person on this forum who does not cook indirect on their BGE? That's why PlanSB refers to the accessories as necessary.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

KJ is impressing me with the innovations... but I am unable to get past that red (personal pref).  Bring back the black and I'd give it some serious thought.

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    BGE's lack of concern about innovation or competition has me convinced that the current owners are content to milk this cow for another few years and then sell the business.

In addition to KJ's push to innovation, I really like their focus on practicality and value. Here's an example of what looks like a new table from KJ that is useful, but not made from exotic wood and not priced for the top end of the market:

(image taken from: http://kamadojoegrillingpassion.blogspot.ca/2017/02/check-out-2017-kamado-joe-changes.html)

It's a Weber Knockoff, clearly. They are good at taking the ideas of others and tweaking them. That's fine, but all the gushing over them like they are actually innovating things is a bit misguided. They are definitely paying attention to the innovations of others and capitalizing on that.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    PlanSB said:
    Except that everyone who buys a ceramic grill wants to cook indirect with it, make the most use of its limited space, and would use multizone cooking options if they were available. Is there a single person on this forum who does not cook indirect on their BGE? That's why PlanSB refers to the accessories as necessary.
    There are several options for indirect. Not just one option, The KJ list price is now higher than what we sell the BGE with a PS, ashtool, mates, grid lifter, pizza stone, and nest. Just saying.
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    I really like what KJ did with the firebox.
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • jeponline
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    PlanSB said:
    There are several options for indirect. Not just one option, The KJ list price is now higher than what we sell the BGE with a PS, ashtool, mates, grid lifter, pizza stone, and nest. Just saying.
    Having options were a key for me in choosing the egg over KJ.  I've spent more in the long run over what I would have spent on the KJ, but I have exactly what I want.  Also, the screen door on the bottom vent and higher dome are big plusses for the egg over KJ.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    SkySaw said:

That is an ugly ass setup. I am sorry, but I don't like it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • pgprescott
    Options
    SkySaw said:

It's a prototype. I won't hold that against them. Surely they will improve the aesthetics.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SkySaw said:

I thought it was a bad photoshop joke. 

Little Rock, AR

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    SkySaw said:

I thought it was a bad photoshop joke. 
    It's actually just a 3d printed plastic model. Not even the latest iteration if I remember correctly.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Its good for us that BGE has competition.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I will hold my judgement on the looks of it then until they have a finished product. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That prototype would look awesome with an electric motor and a senior citizen driving it up and down the aisles in Walmart
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Legume said:
    That prototype would look awesome with an electric motor and a senior citizen driving it up and down the aisles in Walmart
    Thanks for posting my thoughts ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    Options
    Legume said:
    Lol
  • CincyTiki
    Options
    These are the guys that designed and build the new hinge for KJ.

http://www.vectiscounterbalance.com/kamadoe-joe-success/

The engineering is nice, but seems to be an expensive solution for a problem I don't have.  I am not aware of an application that benefits from the dome of a Kamado being left partially open.
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • HeavyG
    Options
    CincyTiki said:

The engineering is nice, but seems to be an expensive solution for a problem I don't have.  I am not aware of an application that benefits from the dome of a Kamado being left partially open.
    I lost my grip once lowering a dome and it slammed down hard. Fortunately nothing seemed to break. A counterbalanced hinge eliminates that possibility.

Given the new hinge, vent top and firebox the price increase seems pretty reasonable to me.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    CincyTiki said:

I lost my grip once lowering a dome and it slammed down hard. Fortunately nothing seemed to break. A counterbalanced hinge eliminates that possibility.

Given the new hinge, vent top and firebox the price increase seems pretty reasonable to me.
    These items are window dressing. Cool yes,maybe, but they do absolutely nothing to increase the functionality of the product. They do cost more money though. I'm fine with the extra cost, but am surprised others are. It's always a balancing act. 
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    CincyTiki said:

why did they advertise a ginsu cutting through a bolt?  It is certainly not a problem that people run into while using their kitchen knives.  Its called advertising, its not that you will cook with the lid partially open, its just using an example to show you that you can leave it anywhere and not have it drop on you and crack your dome.  Just like the Ginsu, its not that you would ever cut a bolt its just showing it keeps an edge.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    CincyTiki said:

These items are window dressing. Cool yes,maybe, but they do absolutely nothing to increase the functionality of the product. They do cost more money though. I'm fine with the extra cost, but am surprised others are. It's always a balancing act. 
    Some people still like manual crank car windows. Some like electric windows. 

Form and function (and value) are always in the eye of the beholder.

• pgprescott
    edited February 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    CincyTiki said:

Some people still like manual crank car windows. Some like electric windows. 

Form and function (and value) are always in the eye of the beholder.
    I totally agree @HeavyG.

My only point is they are no longer the lower priced option. When the Kia is priced higher than the Honda or Toyota, watch out. I'm not sure this helps them, but that is their business, not mine. The egg offers countless options and doesn't pigeon hole you into a standard setup. Some people view that as a negative. I am not among them. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Time for a blind taste test
    New Albany, Ohio 

• HeavyG
    Options
    Time for a blind taste test
    Naaah...we already know the results - nobody could tell the difference. :)