Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT The Alchemist Brewery

Any of you guys ever been? I have been told I need to get my hands on some Heady Topper.
Birmingham, AL

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Been there, drank that. Also try Sip of Sunshine. Vermont breweries are some of the best. 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    YES. love Heady and Sip of Sunshine. Alchemist has a new one, forget the name, but it is double IPA. Sort of the little brother of Heady. Tribute is another brewery that is very good. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• As the others have said - pretty incredible stuff. @Raymont - possibly Focal Banger?

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    I purchased a 12 pack of Pliny late 2016, I believe I only have one left. As probably many have tried it, I think its pretty darn good and personally believe it lives up to the hype it receives. I make a CA trip every year and am hoping one of these times Pliny the Younger is out there, I have been told this Heady Topper is as good or if not better than Pliny the Elder though, so I am intrigued. 
    Birmingham, AL
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90

Sip of Sunshine is def > Heady Topper imo

This website can come in handy when trying to track it down, I am lucky I have a connect in VT :)

http://www.headyspotter.com/

• @stonewh - PtY is only brewed and released once a year (to coincide with San Francisco beer week) in February. It typically only hits a couple of accounts and sometimes they will hold onto it for a couple weeks. SF Beer Week actually just wrapped up, in fact.

So if you are really trying to find it, you're going to have to wait until next year and plan accordingly.

And for my money, PtE > Heady. But both are outstanding and among the very best of the breed.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• stonewh
    @PlanSB thanks for the link and I was selfishly kind of hoping someone would come along in here and offer to do a beer exchange. @Two_Down I had in the back of mind it was February but wasn't 100% sure. I always look forward to heading over to Russian River when I am out there, Lagunitas in Petaluma was a great experience too. 
    Birmingham, AL
  • I have had Heady Topper a few times (have friends who live in VT).  It's got a lot of hype with it but it doesn't disappoint.  Pretty darn good.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If you are going to Alchemist, just a short 3 hour tour down I91 to Monson, MA will take you to Tree House Brewing. Julius is one of the top IPAs out right now.
  • Throw in Trillium as well - huge fan of theirs, possibly more than Tree House.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I am an alchemist fan.  Love heady, focal and crusher. 

Treehouse is good but hard to get!

trillium is probably my favorite however, great hops!!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I prefer Focal over Heady, both are good though.  I've had Pliny Elder and Younger.  Elder is solid, Younger isn't worth the trouble you have to go through to get it.
    With so many good breweries opening up all over the place, I don't feel the need to hunt down or trade for beers anymore.  Been there done that.  Unlike many others, I can't taste the rare, so I stopped efforting to chase them down.

That being said, I'm heading to Chicago this weekend.  Maybe stop at Three Floyds on the way in, but I'm definitely hitting up Binny's to take a look around once in the city.  Depends on what Half Acre and Pipeworks has available to go for a stop at each.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    While at Alchemist be sure to hit the slopes at Stowe... And grab lunch at ProPig or Doc Ponds .
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Phatchris said:
    While at Alchemist be sure to hit the slopes at Stowe... And grab lunch at ProPig or Doc Ponds .
    Prohibition Pig is a great stop. Right across the street from Craft Beer Cellar. Also a must visit. Bring a card with some room. =)   
  • FATC1TY
    Man, we need to do a beer and rub exchange here!!

im very entrenched in craft beer. You may noticed a resemblence in name at beer advocate 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Beer looks good!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • stonewh
    @FATC1TY do you drink Dogfish Head often? I believe (may be a few more) that is about the only one we don't get that you guys get. I know they have added some more beers to their menu but I remember liking the 90 minute and the Burton Baton.
    Birmingham, AL
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    YEMTrey said:
    I prefer Focal over Heady, both are good though.  I've had Pliny Elder and Younger.  Elder is solid, Younger isn't worth the trouble you have to go through to get it.
    With so many good breweries opening up all over the place, I don't feel the need to hunt down or trade for beers anymore.  Been there done that.  Unlike many others, I can't taste the rare, so I stopped efforting to chase them down.

That being said, I'm heading to Chicago this weekend.  Maybe stop at Three Floyds on the way in, but I'm definitely hitting up Binny's to take a look around once in the city.  Depends on what Half Acre and Pipeworks has available to go for a stop at each.
    @YEMTrey Have you tried any of the Revolution beers?  Anti-Hero is a great IPA.  Also check out some of the Two Brothers beers.  One more suggestion, Allagash just released a new beer called Hoppy Table Beer.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• FATC1TY
    stonewh said:
    @FATC1TY do you drink Dogfish Head often? I believe (may be a few more) that is about the only one we don't get that you guys get. I know they have added some more beers to their menu but I remember liking the 90 minute and the Burton Baton.
    I dont really drink DFH much anymore. Back years ago when getting into craft beer, yes. I've had all of their beers, even the odd releases like World Wide Stout, 120 min IPA.

I'm a member of The Bruerys Reserve Society, and El Catador for Cigar City currently. Between Creature Comforts beers here in Atlanta, and trading beers all around, I've drank quite a bit of different things. Once in a while I find myself revisiting the old favorites. 90 min is a solid IPA. I just never see it fresh, and I'm a stickler for fresh hoppy beers. Outside of 3-4 weeks old, I second guess wanting them in some cases.

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Thanks @saluki2007 . We get distro of the Revolution stuff here, so I've had and am a fan of their stuff.  I'll also try to find the Allagash Hoppy Table and some Two Brothers stuff.  Thanks.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• stonewh
    FATC1TY said:
    stonewh said:
    I dont really drink DFH much anymore. Back years ago when getting into craft beer, yes. I've had all of their beers, even the odd releases like World Wide Stout, 120 min IPA.

I'm a member of The Bruerys Reserve Society, and El Catador for Cigar City currently. Between Creature Comforts beers here in Atlanta, and trading beers all around, I've drank quite a bit of different things. Once in a while I find myself revisiting the old favorites. 90 min is a solid IPA. I just never see it fresh, and I'm a stickler for fresh hoppy beers. Outside of 3-4 weeks old, I second guess wanting them in some cases.

I hear ya, I guess it is like with any other beer, if you have access to it on a regular basis you are more than likely going to drink something else. They don't distribute to Birmingham so it's nice getting it every once in a while.
    Birmingham, AL