Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Brisket First Timer

Options
What a fun journey this was, at 15lbs, I looked at this big hunk of meat and didn't know where to start. I trimmed and trimmed, then second guessed myself, then I trimmed some more til I felt that it looked good. Here she his all dressed up. 

The slab weighed in at 13lbs after trimming. I fired up the egg at 225, popped her in and let it ride from 10pm-6am not opening the hood once. I went out for some drinks as soon as the egg stabilized, check on the temp at 2am, the temp climbed to 245, I became a little nervous but trusted the process and went to bed. It's now 7am, we're 8hrs in and I'm hoping that I passed the stall and we're climbing temperatures; I check the Maverick and the egg is now at 290, I'm officially awake now. I pop the top open and greeted to this lovely sight. 

It's been in the egg for 8hrs and the flat is reading 195, I proceed to probe the point 203 - LIKE BUTTA. Not taking any chances, I pulled it off the fire. I'm thinking, 8hrs?  I was getting ready to wrap it and all that good stuff but to my surprise, it was finished. Out came this flavorful, juicy brisket that developed this beautiful bark. Because it finished a few hours ahead of schedule, I tented it to rest.
Its now 1pm, nervous and anxious to slice her up, I'm praying it's not dry. Had one of my buddies slice it up and it turned out perfect.  I was so happy!  Brisket - GONE. Maybe because it was prime it cooked faster than I expected?  I was expecting to go through a gauntlet of variables, who knew that I would set it and forget it. Great brisket cook and I took the Pats along with the over, WINNING!  Today was a good day. 

Comments