Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you cook "part of a brisket"?

Options
Excuse the newbie question, but a lot of the posts here describe cooking a whole brisket.  At 5 - 7 kg I think that's a bit on the big size for a small family do (but would be great for a larger party), and also there's the cost in the UK which is quite expensive.  Therefore I wondered whether it would be possible to get a "cut" from my butcher (e.g. ask for a 3kg cut of flat) and just cook that.  Would that be just as good to taste - and as easy to cook?  Would the usual 1.5 - 2 hours per kg apply to that?

thanks for your help

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You can.  It just won't be as good.  Timing per pound is about the same.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    You can get just part of the flat, what I have found is that it is just as easy if not easier to get a whole packer and after it is cooked cut it into chunks and vacuum seal it for future meals. Take them out of the freezer into a hot water bath and they taste the same as when you first cooked them. I like the point much better then the flat.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Welcome aboard from this side of the pond.
    If you can have a brisket anatomy conversation with your butcher, then I would go with the point (much higher fat content) and much more forgiving cook.  But if all you can negotiate is the flat-go for it and enjoy the cook.
    BTW - I routinely run 5-6 kg whole briskets for two adults.  Some to the neighbors but I eat lots of brisket after the cook.  (And it's all good.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nick50
    nick50 Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks guys.  Is it any good in sandwiches cold a could of days later?(trying to justify buying a whole one!  Otherwise might try for a point.

• lousubcap
    Options
    It is great as left-overs.  Sliced, hit it with a little water then nuke til hot-enjoy. I prefer hot to cold but eat either.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nick50
    Options
    Nice - thanks Lousubcap - starting to change my mind: maybe a whole brisket...my thermoworks Smoke arrives on Monday...I fancy an overnighter!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Go for it- you will definitely not be disappointed, if only to have given it the go.  And regarding the overnighter- there are several brisket threads that don't need the o/n but if you want to have at it then by all means.  I would offer that if going that route, fire up the BGE a couple of hours before you plan to land the cow and make sure your temp is stable (no vent movements for a good hour or so) and then time to start the cook.  
    Check your forum in-box in a few minutes.  I will send you some brisket info-to use or not.  (All referenced temps are *F...  ;)  )
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    lousubcap  will steer you straight.  Take his advice.  When I egged my first brisket, he guided me through the whole process and it turned out great. I greatly appreciated his help and patience with my questions.  It's really not as difficult a cook as we tend to believe as beginners.  But one point he mentioned is very important.  Get your egg stable before adding the protein, otherwise you will be fighting the temp the entire time.  No fun.           

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Not sure if chili is a thing in the UK, but chili made with leftover brisket is fantastic. 
  • nick50
    Options
    This gets better - thanks guys for all your help both with the cook and the leftovers - chilli sounds great and is a favourite of mine with some rice!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    if your butcher can,  get a big one, trim some and grind into hamburger.  just ask him to keep the ground in the 80/20 mix.  

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.