Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$99 28" Blackstone or this...tough call

HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,324
edited February 2017 in Off Topic
Going thru my email this morning I had a message from ATBBQ mentioning this 30" griddle. Curious, I watched their promo video. Nice! Until you check the price. Clearly an "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it" kind of item.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?utm_campaign=Le+Griddle+30"+Teppanyaki+Grill+(Cw332q)&utm_medium=email&_ke=Z2VycnkubWNmYXRyaWRnZUBnbWFpbC5jb20=&utm_source=Master+List+&v=HB3kg5X7t4I
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    you got me. Holy crap. might be cheaper to hire a personal chef once a month.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Oh my word. 'Nice unit but I think my $99 Blackstone will work just fine for me
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It definitely looks nice...but not 18 times nicer! 

The cameraman and the editor of that video both need a swift kick in the balls. I have motion sickness from all the cuts and odd angles. Not once did they show the product it was always some odd close up.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited February 2017

I'm all for product innovations, but I fail to see a single benefit over the Blackstone.  The stainless cooking surface sounds like a benefit, but once properly seasoned, you can't even see the metal.  So that leaves us with a grill 6x as much as a 36" Blackstone, for a smaller grill with 1/2 the burners.

I looked at those fancy Evo grills as well.  The drip area looks like a cleaning nightmare.  I guess I'll keep my wallet in my pocket and happily live with my Blackstone. 
    Phoenix 
  • $99 Blackstone working just fine at my place.

at 30 inches it does offer a larger cooking surface...hmmm.

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• I saw one of these in a BBQ store in Augusta... I'm sure it's nicer and all but $1800 is absolutely absurd. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • jlaw
    jlaw Posts: 18
    I work just down the street from the ATBBQ store. They do have a very nice selection of inventory and hold some great cooking classes but definitely cater to a higher end crowd. 
    Newton KS
    MBGE, Large Joe, Weber gasser, YS640
  • Saw this at Wally Mart for $38. Goes on top of your gasser.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Saw this at Wally Mart for $38. Goes on top of your gasser.

Sadly my gasser is busy storing all of my egg equipment!

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I wonder if someone will come up with a stainless replacement top for the blackstone.  Wouldn't be hard to make either. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Jeremiah said:
    I wonder if someone will come up with a stainless replacement top for the blackstone.  Wouldn't be hard to make either. 
    why?  Of the three materials, CI, CS, SS, SS would be at the bottom of the list.  
    SS doesn't season like CS or CI.  Delicates, like eggs, can be a challenge on SS. 
    Glad I didn't pick up one of those Griddle Qs when they hit the scene. 

Dig up an old school French cookbook, and they will use CS for crepes, omelets. 

An Asian grandmother, uses her CS wok for egg fried rice. 

My grandmas, reached for their CI.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Blue Rhino is slicing and dicing with the Razor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS51EeJ2Up8
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• I just picked up the $99 Blackstone. Fantastic quality and very please with it so far. 
  • Where are you buying this $99 Blackstone?  I'm seeing much higher prices online. 
  • JimboD44 said:
    Where are you buying this $99 Blackstone?  I'm seeing much higher prices online. 
    Check this link out:
    http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=36323162

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    JimboD44 said:
    Where are you buying this $99 Blackstone?  I'm seeing much higher prices online. 
    Doa forum search - there is a link to a site which will check local Walmarts to see if any of them have them in stock at the $99 (or less) price.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156

Go big or go home.

$3,100

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • CSmith
    CSmith Posts: 44
    Wish I could find this $99 blackstone! I've been eyeing one of them!
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Click on the link three posts above yours enter zip codes around you and it will tell you any stores that might have them on sale
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    And try this link to see if anyone has the 36 for a discount:

http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=39891191
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • So I checked my local Walmart online to see what they have in stock. Says they have the 28" in stock but no 36" black stones. I arrive to find several 28" griddles for $99.00 and one 36" griddle for like $289.00. I ask if they'll come down in price on the 36" one....they say they can't do it so what do I do....I buy two of the 28" griddles for $213.00 with tax and call it good. Hope I like them!!
  • Focker
    So I checked my local Walmart online to see what they have in stock. Says they have the 28" in stock but no 36" black stones. I arrive to find several 28" griddles for $99.00 and one 36" griddle for like $289.00. I ask if they'll come down in price on the 36" one....they say they can't do it so what do I do....I buy two of the 28" griddles for $213.00 with tax and call it good. Hope I like them!!
    Nice work.  Looking back, I regret not buying the last two 28s for $79.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Jeremiah said:
    I bet you can go to almost any sheet metal fab shop and they can make one.
    I work for a company with a large HVAC metal shop. They make things out of heavy stainless frequently for special projects. It's amazing what they can build. With that being said, a sheet of stainless is surprisingly expensive. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    It is expensive but keep in mind they are selling at $200 under the MSRP.  Steal of a deal right there!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I went to Walmart's website and it doesn't appear that it is still on sale for $99. Does anyone have a link to a store at that price?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @SciAggie
    http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=36323162

Put in your zip code and submit.  Note for me they will show lots of results with a qty of 0; so pay attention to the qty as well as price.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SciAggie said:
    I went to Walmart's website and it doesn't appear that it is still on sale for $99. Does anyone have a link to a store at that price?

I just bought one for $99 at a store outside Raleigh, NC.  They had three left.   Using the link posted, another store in the area shows they still have eleven in stock (at $99).   I looked for a friend near Savannah, and they all show zero in stock, so it may be the luck of the draw whether any stores still have them.

Raleigh, NC
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I guess I just don't get the appeal of one of these Blackstone Griddles. I guess if you have a lot of people to be cooking for, and using  griddle items, its a plus. I was always taught to use pans in my training, but like I said if your doing higher than normal volumes than a couple people it can have its advantages.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @rekameohs Thanks
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon