Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moh's Chicken Wings-Crispy, Smokey, Spicy

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
Seems like there is always someone here asking how to make chicken wings. I don't consider myself an expert in this category and there are a lot of ways to make wings. I prefer to make my wings indirect (nearly all chicken actually as the texture is what we prefer). Unconventionally, I use Mesquite smoke and no seasoning. The sauce is plenty salty and a second coat of sauce will make them quite a bit spicier. Below is my method if it interests you. It takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 1:15 if you don't have the wings air dried in the fridge. It's more work than just grilling wings, but the results are what makes our household happy. 

400-425 indirect with drip pan. Get the egg up to temp (plate setter included). Put one handful of Mesquite chips on the lesser burning part of the fire. This will give about 10 minutes of smoke. That's all I usually need. 

Put the wings on flats down.

Nice smoke for about 10 minutes. That's all I really want on the wings. Mesquite is bitter and too much is not your friend. It seems to pair very nicely with this particular sauce.

Wait 1/2 hour and flip. Note that the skin is starting to tighten and crisp. There is a little smoke color on them.

Wait about 1/2 hour and flip. These were flipped and the photo was taken a few minutes later.

Once you get the skin crisped as shown above, sauce and cook for 3-4 minutes or until sauce has set. 

Then flip and sauce the other side.

Sometimes the middle ones need a little crisping so I place them around the edges to get some direct heat for a minute or two. If you want to really crisp them, you could go direct at this point.

They come out smokey and tender with crispy skin. I wish I had some fancy sauce recipe but really it is just store-bought sauce and it goes nicely with the mesquite smoke.

They pull clean from the bone and stay juicy as a result of being cooked indirect. They take a while (these were cooked from partially frozen) an hour and fifteen minutes from putting them on the egg until resting for a few minutes to eat. If they are thawed and dried overnight, I can have them done in about 45-50 minutes.

Here is the sauce I use. We buy it at Whole Foods (just happened to stumble upon it a few years ago).

Technically, they are overcooked (around 200 degrees internal) but remain juicy since cooked indirect. They pull clean from the bone and are very tender. (sorry if you think the bone pic is gross!) To me, they have just enough smoke and the sauce is best if it is cooked down to crispy. Again, this is a lot of time and work for chicken wings, but they are our favorite and the neighbors seem to love them too. Can't eat wings anywhere but home anymore.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    This is how I will do my next batch.  Wow do those look good!  Thanks for taking the time to write out such a well detailed process!  Bookmarked!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    beautiful wings - great writeup too
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I need to go back to cooking whole wings and not the party wings.  Been doing the party wings and they seem harder to cook at a consistent level.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Thank you for the presentation. I agree, whole wings, to me seem to be the easiest way to go.
    Your wings looked delicious. Appreciate the sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    Everyone needs a wing man!  Good looking wings.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Give me moh wings....great post and wings...something else to shop for...back to Whole Foods.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    Nice write up and good looking wings. Thanks
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks @tikigriller. I have made a lot of chicken wings over the past 5 years and it took a long time to get to this point. This is minnimoh's go-to method. Every backyard bonfire has a big batch of these to go with it. The neighbors bring the beer and I make the wings. Everyone seems 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Great looking wings.  But what surprised me the most was how little charcoal you had.  My basket is always full or over-full when I start a cook, regardless of how short the cook may be.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• minniemoh
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Great looking wings.  But what surprised me the most was how little charcoal you had.  My basket is always full or over-full when I start a cook, regardless of how short the cook may be.
    Thanks @Zmokin - This cook was on my medium. It is really a lump miser. It is also my go-to egg for cooking chicken. The skin gets crisp easier on the MBGE than on the large for me. I suppose I could get the same results by going higher in the dome on the LBGE but I would use twice as much lump.
    eggAddict from MN!