Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MSG in Rubs

Options
I recently just bought a Texas based couple rubs. On the website it never posted MSG in their ingredients.  Upon receiving the rubs it says MSG in the ingredients. Would this annoy any of you a bit? Sure it's only 25$ but it's a principal thing I feel. Maybe I'm being a big ****.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,164
    Options
    You say MSG .... I hear Ummami.  MSG is not the worst thing, unless you are avoiding for allergy reasons.

If it bugs you, contact the seller and see if you two can work something out.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    MSG gets a bad rap for bs reasons.  It won't kill you and enhances the flavor of good food.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Why is it that places post MSG free? A lot of restaurants and quick eat places post this.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Why is it that places post MSG free? A lot of restaurants and quick eat places post this.
    Common man.  Investigate.  Why is it that places post no shirt, no no shoes, no service?  Is it the food taste/quality/safety?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Cancer is the issue. It was something my Mom had read and talked about before she passed. Please don't beat me up on that comment but that's where my mind goes. I have always since then tried to stay away from it. I'll be more than happy to send these 2 bottles away if I can't get some foodie knowledge.  Again...please don't beat me up about it...I'm just asking thoughts.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given MSG its generally recognized as safe (GRAS) designation.[Gov. 2] A popular belief is that large doses of MSG can cause headaches and other feelings of discomfort, known as "Chinese restaurant syndrome," but double-blind tests fail to find evidence of such a reaction.[Gov. 2][6] The European Union classifies it as a food additive permitted in certain foods and subject to quantitative limits. MSG has the HS code 29224220 and the E number E621.[Gov. 3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Europe bans anything remotely unsafe.  They are way ahead of the US in that respect and they allow MSG

However, if it bugs you, pitch it.  $25 is not worth your peace of mind.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given MSG its generally recognized as safe (GRAS) designation.[Gov. 2] A popular belief is that large doses of MSG can cause headaches and other feelings of discomfort, known as "Chinese restaurant syndrome," but double-blind tests fail to find evidence of such a reaction.[Gov. 2][6] The European Union classifies it as a food additive permitted in certain foods and subject to quantitative limits. MSG has the HS code 29224220 and the E number E621.[Gov. 3

I do get headaches and so does my wife after having it. When we do indulge in Chinese food we go for the posted NO MSG chow. No headaches.  You see...weird right?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

I do get headaches and so does my wife after having it. When we do indulge in Chinese food we go for the posted NO MSG chow. No headaches.  You see...weird right?
    Nope, not wierd at all.  Food does different things to all people.  Food plays an important role in how our bodies function and feel.

Sounds like you should contact the seller, or chalk it up to a learning lesson and pitch it.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It's generally Asian places that advertise it and it spread from there, after "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" came into being in the 60s. There is zero proof that MSG caused the symptoms but people blamed it since they hadn't seen that as a food additive in other cuisines. However, it is derived from glutamatic acid which is found in many foods, including fermented products, cheese, and tomatoes. 

MANY studies have found no link between MSG and CRS, even in people who claimed the sensitivity and where then tested with MSG.

Regarding cancer risk, if you are worried, you might as well cut out grilled/smoked foods since that could potentially increase your cancer risk from HCA/PAH generation from charring/burning food. There is no definitive evidence for either.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    It's generally Asian places that advertise it and it spread from there, after "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" came into being in the 60s. There is zero proof that MSG caused the symptoms but people blamed it since they hadn't seen that as a food additive in other cuisines. However, it is derived from glutamatic acid which is found in many foods, including fermented products, cheese, and tomatoes. 

MANY studies have found no link between MSG and CRS, even in people who claimed the sensitivity and where then tested with MSG.

Regarding cancer risk, if you are worried, you might as well cut out grilled/smoked foods since that could potentially increase your cancer risk from HCA/PAH generation from charring/burning food. There is no definitive evidence for either.
    You nailed the last part...EXACTLY my thinking. Well I will try2 different racks of ribs with new rub vs old rub, I won't tell the wife. Doing my own human test. In a safe manner.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    MSG  is a migraine trigger for Wilma so we avoid it like the clap.  Almost everything processed that's flavored has it in it unless it states specifically that its MSG free.  It naturally is in some foods like mushrooms. That is how a lot of food companies get around listing MSG on the ingredient list.  It's hiding as "natural flavors".
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    MSG is fvcking delicious.  If you have celiac disease, avoid eating it.
    Options
    The power of suggestion is strong with MSG.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    Options
    I normally never have a problem with MSG. However years ago we were back home in MO visiting my parents who were also entertaining my Aunt & Uncle from IA. Well we ate one night at a nice Chinese restaurant in a town 10 miles away and I had driven the 6 of us in our car. We had no longer gotten on the road and my aunt started to squirm. First a bit and then a bunch and told me she had to "go" soon as she sensed MSG. Make a long story short my parent's home only had one toilet and after we arrived the 6 of us rotated in and out of there for the next hour! That restaurant must have laced everything with MSG as none of us had had the same dish. Oh what a night! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease and I can tell you within 5 minutes if food has MSG in it..... don't ask how  :s . Problem is now MSG has been renamed so many times that it is hard to keep up with. This basically eliminates most "fast" food from my diet and a lot of additives to my own home cooking, lots of salt and pepper for me.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    So you don't eat things that have naturally occurring MSG either?  Not "beating you up".

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    So you don't eat things that have naturally occurring MSG either?  Not "beating you up".

I guess I do without knowing it now. 
  • NCSmoky
    Options

Not sure what you mean but I keep my diet fairly bland, not a lot of seasonings or sauces and very little processed foods. Crohns is different for everyone and at this point I mostly know what my body will tolerate and won't. What is an example of a food with naturally occurring MSG?
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    NCSmoky said:

Not sure what you mean but I keep my diet fairly bland, not a lot of seasonings or sauces and very little processed foods. Crohns is different for everyone and at this point I mostly know what my body will tolerate and won't. What is an example of a food with naturally occurring MSG?
    On the link it said mushrooms and cheese was also posted. Not sure if its all cheese though. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If a rub didn't have MSG in it I would probably not buy it.
    I generally make sure that I add extra MSG to everything I cook.
    I simply can't get enough of it......I'm addicted to the good taste.

• NCSmoky
    Options
    Checked out this site: http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm and found most but not all of those items I tend to avoid just from years of trial and error. My main issue at this point is that about 6 years ago I had 65% of my colon and large intestine removed so I really don't process anything normally. I do know that from an early age The worst food I ever recall is KFC...... I could never barely get out of the parking lot after eating that. Fortunately for me I don't have issues with most meats as long as there are not a lot of additives in them.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    MSG messes with me......makes me wired.  If I have something for dinner with a lot of MSG in it, overnight I will toss and turn, and have wild dreams.  Happens to my dad as well.  I don't know if it's any kind of health hazard, but it does have an effect on me if used in large quantities.

I don't eat fast food, and shy away from flavored bagged chips, ranch dressings, canned soups, prepackaging powdered seasonings, etc.  I can eat mushrooms, beats, and other foods from which MSG comes from without a problem.  I think it's just the amount that they add it at--they go crazy with the stuff.  Same goes for salt and butter.......needless to say, I don't eat out much.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    MSG just isn't very nice, super flavour enhancer that makes crappy food taste of something in a fake kind of way. If you cook decent quality food, as seems to be the case with Eggers, it's not needed as the food itself actually tastes of something already.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,355
    Options
    Eoin said:
    MSG just isn't very nice, super flavour enhancer that makes crappy food taste of something in a fake kind of way. If you cook decent quality food, as seems to be the case with Eggers, it's not needed as the food itself actually tastes of something already.
    So it's just like sodium chloride and piperine and hundreds of other chemicals many folks sprinkle or rub on their food to "enhance" the enjoyment of certain foodstuffs.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Eoin said:
    So it's just like sodium chloride and piperine and hundreds of other chemicals many folks sprinkle or rub on their food to "enhance" the enjoyment of certain foodstuffs.
    Salt is also used to compensate for poor quality food, which is why ready meals are full of it / msg / sugar. You need less if the basic food is better quality.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Eoin said:
    HeavyG said:
    Eoin said:
    Salt is also used to compensate for poor quality food, which is why ready meals are full of it / msg / sugar. You need less if the basic food is better quality.
    Salt is certainly not used to compensate for poor quality food. 

If anything many people don't know how to properly season their food, due to what you've described. They've gotten use to eating pre packaged crap and not needing it!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    MSG and other preservatives is one of the reasons I make my own rubs.