Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dallas BBQ Recommendations

Options
I am going to be in Dallas for one Saturday in a few weeks staying near DFW. Need lunch and dinner recommendations. Will have a car and will be driving out to see AT&T Stadium. Thanks!
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Pecan Lodge in downtown Dallas is pretty highly regarded. I went 3 weeks ago and was pretty impressed.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    Agree with the Pecan Lodge recommendation.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Lockhart's serves the Kruez Market jalapeno sausages. Oh man... 
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options

Pecan Lodge is incredible. Expect a wait for lunch.

Other notable non-BBQ places would be Cane Rosso for pizza. The Honey Bastard (hot sopprassata, bacon jam and Habanero Honey) is killer. Or Mia's for Brisket tacos, a Dallas institution.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    If your gonna be in Arlington. Go to Fort Worth. And got to http://heimbbq.com

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Lockhart Smokehouse is almost as good as Pecan Lodge but with no wait.  Is my go to.
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options

Oh, and if you're over near Jerry World, Jambo's BBQ Shack on Division is a almost in the shadow of the staduim, and one of the few commercial places that puts out rib's I'd pay money for. And their sausage is a-mazing too.

Lockhart's...overrated, IMHO...Sorry Craig!

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    gmbbs said:

Oh, and if you're over near Jerry World, Jambo's BBQ Shack on Division is a almost in the shadow of the staduim, and one of the few commercial places that puts out rib's I'd pay money for. And their sausage is a-mazing too.

Lockhart's...overrated, IMHO...Sorry Craig!

A little note. Jambos isn't owned by the guy that makes Jambo cookers anymore. He sold it like a year after opening it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    If there is a Torchy's around it is tough to beat a Trashy Trailer Park or 3.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Just went to book tickets for the stadium tour and saw there was an event there that day, so I probably won't drive out there just to get stuck in event traffic and see the place from the outside.

Any suggested sites to go see in Dallas if you just have one day?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Go check out where jfk got shot.  the Perot Museum is also nice. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
     It's hard to recommend "The Best Place". I've had Q at dozens of place around DFW over the past 40+ years. Sad to say the some of the best have gone away. As we all know even the best can have a bad day. But I must say you will probably enjoy the Q at most of the places recommended above.
    My go to favorite, if in the area, in North Main in Bedford TX, It's a buffet style and all you can eat.  Most times Killer Ribs and sausage. But I have been disappointed a couple of times over the past 15 years. Brisket is good, not the best I've had but still good stuff. A few others are:

Kirby’s Barbeque, Mexia TX

Lockhart Smokehouse

Cousin’s Bar-B-Q

Hutchins BBQ *

N Main *

Hard Eight is close by DFW Airport in Coppell. Not my fav, kind of pricey. But still good Q. Just be aware their BBQ sauce has a unique flavor. Get it on the side and taste it before you load up. It's not for me. Has a hint of a nutmeg and cinnamon flavor.

Anyway you should be good at any of them.
    Give me a ring. Would be great to meet up somewhere if I'm not doing anything.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bclarksicle
    Options
  • blockmaster
    Options
    Slow Bone is another place I would consider as top Dallas BBQ spot.  The others listed above are all good.

Other considerations outside of BBQ:
    • Pizza - Cane Rosso, Olivellas, Louie's
    • Steak - Knife (240 day aged Ribeye)
    • Tacos - Torchys, Velvet Taco, Tacos La Banqueta (street tacos)
    I would also recommend going out to Dealey Plaza and the 6th Floor Museum.  That area on a Saturday is always interesting because you have all the conspiracy theorist selling books etc.
    Dallas, TX - 1 Large BGE, 28in Blackstone
    Instagram - @jetcooks
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I dont know that I would says its the best BBQ I have had (its not), its good view and very good "atmosphere"
    https://www.bonedaddys.com/location/bbq-restaurant-dallas/

I have yet to find what I would consider "Great" BBQ in the metroplex, maybe Sonny Bryans.. was the place to get BBQ many years ago, Coopers in Ft Worth was ok years ago when I visited.

Pizza- Campisis on Mockingbird is a must.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    Hard Eight will be convenient since it's just north of DFW airport.  If you head west to Fort Worth, Angelo's has good BBQ.  I've been wanting to try both Pecan Lodge and Lockhart's.  A buddy and I were gonna try Pecan Lodge the other day but didn't show up early enough and the lunch line made us change plans.  I'm also a big fan of Velvet Taco.

Between meals, as others have said the 6th Floor Museum is interesting, especially for history buffs.  Perot Museum is great, as well as the Dallas Museum of Art and Nasher Sculpture Center.  Hope you have a great trip!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Off food my favorite things to do when I lived there was to head to the arts area by TCU in Ft Worth.

Kimbell art Museum
    Modern Art of Fort Worth
    Amon Carter

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    @HofstraJet If you get time make a run to The Ceramic Grill Store in Denton and stop tin and meet Tom @tjv Good people and a lot ceramic grill toys!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    At Pecan Lodge waiting for my grub. Pics to come. No beef ribs at the moment. :disappointed:
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    At Pecan Lodge waiting for my grub. Pics to come. No beef ribs at the moment. :disappointed:
    Enjoy my friend!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I agree, if you still have a few dollars to spend make a run up I35 to Denton and see Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store. He's open 10:00 - 6:00 today.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX