Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread - How to reduce Sodium?

Options
EggNorth
EggNorth Posts: 1,535
edited January 2017 in Baking
A question for the bakers out there, when baking bread, which is my new hobby, have you had any success in reducing sodium?  I've cut the salt in haft (from 2 tbsp (correction 2tsp) to 1) and have not noticed a difference.  I understand the importance of salt in the whole reaction of the yeast, and how it keeps it under control, but I must reduce the sodium in my diet.

Will be doing my first loaf of sourdough today  :)

I'm using the 'Josey Baker Bread' book, which was recommended here, and I recommend it also.

Thanks
Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    "No Salt"
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • EggNorth
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Have you noticed a difference with no salt?  I will try the next recipe, one with no salt, and another with no salt + diastatic malt to see the difference.

Thanks for the reply.
    Dave
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I bake bread all the time and have had no problems in cutting down the salt.  I generally use less than half what the recipe calls for.  I bake sourdough and regular yeast breads and have had no problems with them rising properly.

I generally use high gluten white flour mixed with oatmeal and/or white whole wheat flour.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Where did you find a bread recipe calling for 2 tablespoons of salt?  The no-knead recipe, which is my go-to, calls for 1-1/4 teaspoons to 3 cups flour and makes darn good bread.
  • EggNorth
    Options
    scdaf said:
    Where did you find a bread recipe calling for 2 tablespoons of salt?  The no-knead recipe, which is my go-to, calls for 1-1/4 teaspoons to 3 cups flour and makes darn good bread.
    Good catch!  That should have said 2 tsp.   
    Dave
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've made sourdough a few times with no salt. Definitely not a preference of mine. I normally range 5-12 grams kosher depending on the rest of the ingredients. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm just getting into baking bread, but my understanding is that salt slows down the yeast. If just decreasing the salt throws off your bulk ferment or proofing times, you may have to reduce the amount of  yeast or starter. I would start by reducing only the salt and see what happens. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Most of the bread recipes I have seen use 1.5t of salt for a 1.5 pound loaf.  The salt helps to retard the yeast growth and provides for a taste enhancement (fights flatness).  You can reduce the salt, reduce the yeast, and be prepared for a different rise time.    

The yeast in natural starters are not as robust as commercial yeast, so you need less salt to control the rise.  You should be able to reduce the salt way down if using a natural starter. You might try a 1/2 t or less for a loaf, just enough to fight flat taste but not for yeast growth control.  You can use temp to help control yeast growth rates to counteract the reduced salt.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Professional bakers use salt for flavor ONLY. Most sourdough bread recipes call for 1.5% or 2% of the weight of the flour for the salt quanity. Your bread will not taste very good if you completely eliminate the salt but you can do that. 

Flour/water/starter or commercial yeast have very little flavor. Most food requires salt to boost its flavor... including bread. 

Rise time is dictated by how much starter/yeast you use and the ambient temperature you let it proof in. 

For really kick ass bread use very little starter/yeast, 2% of the weight of the flour. Preferment half of your flour and and equal weight of water and let it ferment at room temperature about 16 hours. Then add the rest of the flour, water and the salt and do your final mixing. You will get better bread. 

BBQ and Bread are exactly alike... low and slow produces better tasting food.