Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

remote probe purchase

Options
Randman
Randman Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up the nu-temp BBQ probe today at my dealer's. Last one he had, although he has several sending units left. The probe reads to 199* and then just flat linbes higher than that, but says it won't harm unit to get lots higher. The dealer called Nu-Temp while I was there and asked about the cord. Says it should hold up to 700* without harm, but I don't think I buy that. Looks Like the cord on the polders.He says it will read out the temp and alarm at your set point, and also alarm at a low set point to indicate the fire going out. The sender is waterproof ( gasketed ) if it is kept in an upright position because the probe entry is on the bottom. Sends out to 100 feet and is radio, not infrared, so will not require line of sight. The dealer did think that maybe extra walls would diminish the distance. I don't know. As it is sleeting out and I need to sleep before work, I probably won't use it until Wednesday. I will post results then. Oh yeah, it will take up to 4 sending units. I paid $59 for the complete set, and the sending units and probe sets were $39. I didn't purchase any of those.

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Just thought I'd bump the last post on the Forum.  Poor guy hasn't had a comment in 17 years.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    That is so funny! Way back in the Fall of 2000 right after I bought my first egg I too purchased a Nu-Temp remote. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere. Anyway the cables never seemed to work right but the sender with its internal sensor has and the receiver has also been dead on accurate! To this very night 17 years later I still have the small sensor out on my screened porch and the receiver in our eating area.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.