Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole 30

Options
tclamberth
tclamberth Posts: 162
Anyone else try this "diet"?

My wife is on it, and its killing me because I cant find many spices or rubs that dont contain something she cant have.

Anyone know a good rub that could work with this diet? Sugar is the main thing I keep running in to that she cant have
Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the whole 30 is a 30 day diet plan, it should be over soon,  =) salt and pepper is a rub
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tclamberth
    Options
    I want more than just salt and pepper on the shoulder im gonna try this weekend, but even after she is done with teh 30 days she wants to keep it going....killing me
    Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Hey man, everyone's health journey is different but if you like I would be more than happy to talk with you about my weight loss journey and maybe try and give you some ideas of a diet and lifestyle change that might be more sustainable in the long run. 

If your asking what qualifies me to speak on this, I lost 90 pounds in 8 months and have kept all the weight off for the last 4 months while continuing to make improvements to my body and my overall health.  I'm 6'1 178-180 pounds and wear a 31" waist.  

What I would suggest trying is counting calories with MFP.  Losing weight all comes down to calories in vs calories out.  Once you get in the routine of logging calories it's really easy.  You can put in recipes and save them for later.  Basically if your wife wants to lose 1 pound a week she needs to eat at a 500 calorie a day deficit. If she wants to lose 2 pounds a week she needs to eat at a 1000 calorie a day deficit.  

1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    dont know much about this plan but a quick google says you can use juice when cooking.

for that shoulder try this, its really great pull, double the garlic it calls for, in the mojo after cooing float more lime juice on top

Pork, Butt, Lechon Asado, Mojo, WDAN, Cuban

As I mentioned during the December holidays, I did a low 'n slow pork butt called Lechon Asado for New Years' Eve. Oh yeah, baby! If you are looking for yet another excuse to do L&S pork butt, but want it different than traditional Carolina pull, try this! My guests loved it and I actually liked it too (I'm my own worst critic).While this is a Cuban Christmas Eve roast-a-whole-pig thing, I approximated it by doing a 9.5 lb pork butt on the egg.

INGREDIENTS:
    Marinade (do it for 24 hrs)
    12-15 Cloves as many as you're willing to mince) cloves garlic
    1 Tbs kosher salt
    2 tsp cumin (ground)
    2 tsp oregano (dried)
    1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 Tbs olive oil
    It would be best if you can do this in a food processor and get it to turn out like a thick salad dressing...I was lazy and just hand-blended it all in a bowl...but it seemed to work just fine.
    After 12- 24 hrs of marinating, egg the pig indirectly at a dome temp of 250-ish until meat internal temp is 200 -- just like you're doing a pull. My 9.5 lb butt needed a little over 20 hrs. I used some peach wood in the lump intead of doing my normal hic
    The meat had a decidedly different flavor than the normal fair and was further differentiated by the Mojo sauce:
    MOJO SAUCE
    1 cup olive oil
    12 cloves garlic (sliced thin)
    1 cup fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    2 tsp kosher salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ground black pepper to taste (~1 tsp)

Procedure:
    1 Simmer all this in a sauce pan for about 20 minutes or so. Serve as a side dip for the pork.
    2 Embellishments:
    3 The meat is different than traditional pull, but not overwhelmingly so. The mojo does it right, but as someone mentioned when I first posted my intention of doing this cook, traditional Carolina vinegar sauce would be absolutely outstanding with this meat (refer to legendary Elder Ward documentation).
    4 If you're looking for a different kind of pull, try this! The Cuban thing was a smash hit at my Anglo house. Black beans and rice were a perfect complement, not to mention the music!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I want more than just salt and pepper on the shoulder im gonna try this weekend, but even after she is done with teh 30 days she wants to keep it going....killing me
    Sorry I don't have a recipe on me but I make rubs from a base of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. From there tweak it to taste - add chili powder for a spicier flavor, for example. I routinely don't add any sugar. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Not sure where you are from, but Fiesta brand rubs don't have any sugar in them if I am not mistaken.  I use them when I am doing low carb. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I am pretty sure the Byrons Butt Rub that many people like has no sugar. 

Or like @blind99 mentioned you can just mix up your own. Butt rub is actually the exact ingredients he listed. SPOG+paprika is a good simple base. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GreenWave36
    Options
    Anyone else trying the Whole 30 diet in January?  Looking for some additional recipe ideas.  Thanks.