Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Official Egghead Weightloss Competition for 2017

Options

Comments

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

How's everybody doing? Carbs are the devil, I keep telling myself! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Wish my graph looked like that...
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • JacksDad
    Options
    Low carb dinner, going on later this afternoon. But I fired my egg up early today with the FB200, just for the heck of it... The meatloaf is thrown together with mix of ground beef and spicy pork sausage and whatever else I could find in the fridge. The ham is from Costco, got it before the holidays. It was 9 lbs, and since I'm probably the only one in the house that will eat it, I cut it in half (long ways so I could vacuum seal the other half easily). Gonna smoke it all with some cherry wood and have leftovers for the week...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad
    Options
    This silly Costco ham I bought on a whim is off the charts delicious! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have had a pants on the ground expierence. Must get some smaller cloths. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    that's a great motivator !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • JacksDad
    Options
    C'mon, don't let this thread die! How's everyone doing? 

Here's my low(er) carb dinner: mashed cauliflower. Pretty tasty, once I mixed in a bunch of mozzarella cheese and cooked the bejesus out of it! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Grilled green beans and brussel sprouts on the BGE. Olive oil, salt, garlic powder and onion flakes.  

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• JacksDad
    Options

Status updates anyone? 

Carbs:

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Well Done @JacksDad!!

I'm down 15 lbs since the beginning of the contest. 28 overall, since week before Christmas.
  • JacksDad
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    Well Done @JacksDad!!

I'm down 15 lbs since the beginning of the contest. 28 overall, since week before Christmas.
    That's amazing! Good work...
    Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    Cashfan said:
    Well Done @JacksDad!!

That's amazing! Good work...
    Thanks!! Its been far from easy, but I feel much better than I did two months ago.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @JacksDad what app is that you're using to track? And awesome job btw

Im only down 4lbs  :s
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Not in the contest but down 30 since Mid November ! Good Luck to All !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • JacksDad
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @JacksDad what app is that you're using to track? And awesome job btw

Im only down 4lbs  :s
    It's the built in "Health" app on the iPhone. I intentionally cropped out the baseline ;)

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I'm down 8, thought I was doing well.  Sounds like I need to step it up.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    2 lbs. very discouraged at this point but realize it's more difficult to lose at 62 than 50.  Using My Fitness Pal to track.  Scale and Garmin Vivofit HR both work seamlessly with it which is really nice.  
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @JacksDad Are you doing a form of Atkins or something else?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    LOST 2 lbs. Since contest started, Been sidelined with a knee issue has slowed me on the treadmill. Will be down 15 lbs by the end of Febuary though 
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    LOST 2 lbs. Since contest started, Been sidelined with a knee issue has slowed me on the treadmill. Will be down 15 lbs by the end of Febuary though 
    Enemas... you take one and your right back in it... =)
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'm not in the comp but congrats to you guys are are already in the double digits of loss.  Hell it took me 2 years to drop 40 and maintain it   You guys are kicking it!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    This could be fun..and I have some extra weight to lose.  I'm in!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • JacksDad
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Just cut out processed carbs. I've done Atkins before, and it works great when you are in ketosis, but I found it impossible to sustain for  months.

There's a popular diet, forgot the name, the motto is "Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants." So I'm trying that.  Eating carbs, like whole wheat and fruits and veggies, and not feeling bad about like Atkins would suggest.  I am eating lots of meat and cheese and nuts and fruit. So maybe it's a version of paleo also...

To actually lose weight, over the long run, you have to ingest less calories than you expend. I found eating  this way, I'm less hungry and feel full sooner, allowing me to eat fewer calories and ultimately lose weight. 

But, I'm only a month into this, so we shall see! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• RedSkip
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    RedSkip said:
    Just cut out processed carbs. I've done Atkins before, and it works great when you are in ketosis, but I found it impossible to sustain for  months.

There's a popular diet, forgot the name, the motto is "Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants." So I'm trying that.  Eating carbs, like whole wheat and fruits and veggies, and not feeling bad about like Atkins would suggest.  I am eating lots of meat and cheese and nuts and fruit. So maybe it's a version of paleo also...

To actually lose weight, over the long run, you have to ingest less calories than you expend. I found eating  this way, I'm less hungry and feel full sooner, allowing me to eat fewer calories and ultimately lose weight. 

But, I'm only a month into this, so we shall see! 

Agree, calories in < calories out and you lose weight.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Graph that is looking better this past week.  Now I have to head south and resist large quantities of southern fare for a week !
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    Not in the contest, but down 11 lbs since Jan. 2nd. No special diet, just tracking calories in My Fitness Pal and trying (not very successfully) to cut back on alcohol. Elliptical twice a week for 30 minutes. I need to step that up to get in better shape. I've read that you lose weight in the kitchen, you gain fitness in the gym. I'll stick with that saying, 'cause I hate working out.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • RedSkip
    Options
    For you low carbers... Keto Chocolate Mug Cake, takes 2 minutes.

http://ketosizeme.com/keto-chocolate-peanut-butter-mug-cake/
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I did the weigh in, but have not been able to participate yet due to injury.  I've actually gained since the weigh in.  

I started my eating plan yesterday - not a diet, but avoiding carbs and sugars.  

I hope to catch up to you guys by putting my stubbornness to good use.

Phoenix 
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Decided to finally get serious about this.  Attached is my weight from this morning.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am down about 20 lbs. More in total as I started before the contest.....I can say I already feel a lot better.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow