Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Been awhile since I've posted. To make a come back, I'm doing a pork butt. I have a 10# Kroger butt slathered with the best mustard on the planet, Bertman Ball Park, and rubbed with DP Crossroads. Resting in the frig until I light it up early this morning. Still works nag out the timeframe to do this. I want a good two hour rest and I think I'll run it around 275* to 300*. Working back from a 7pm eat time means I need to have the meat on by like 5am I think. Fun times. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Looks good. I'm throwing on a nine pounder late tomorrow night for an all-nighter at a lower temp. Have not tried the Crossroads yet. Do you use it on anything besides pulled pork?
    Stillwater, MN
    Options
    First time trying it. Will report back on it
    Member since 2009
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Have fun with your cook brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Seems a shame to waste the "best mustard on the planet" on a butt. Mustard is completely unnecessary. I'm sure it'll be good anyway. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Options
    I haven't put mustard on a butt in years but what the heck. I'm going crazy!
    Member since 2009
    Options
    7:00am. Butt on at 320*. Gonna be a good day. 
    Member since 2009
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I love the smell of smoke in the morning.....
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • jewild
    jewild Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm new to cooking on my egg, will you only need to fill with charcoal at the beginning and not have to add any that whole cook ?
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    @jewild fill it at the beginning and you are good for the day.

Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I love the smell of smoke in the morning.....
    Agreed!  It smells like Freedom.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @jewild, correct, just fill it to (or near) the top of the fire RING and you'll have plenty of lump to last through a cook like this. Here, I didn't even load that much, cooked for 18 hrs and still had plenty left. He's cooking at 320° so it won't last as long... but at 320°, it won't need to.

@500, love the smoke pic!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Options
    Wild, I cleaned out the Egg last night and then loaded lump all the way to the top of the fire ring. Halfway loaded, I added hickory and apple chuck in the lump. I have like two good chunks of apple and three hickory mixed in toward the middle and top. I won't open the lid until it's done later this afternoon. The temp did rise to 350* during my nap, so I'm trying to drop it back some. I don't want it to go over 350. This is the hottest I've run a butt but I want to have a 2 hour rest after I pull it off. Hope that helps. 
    Member since 2009
    Options
    I'm in the stall at 173. Got it dialed back to 300, then 275, and now it's running at 225. Need to bump just a little. 
    Member since 2009
    Options
    Pulled it off at 5. Ate the mo eye muscle for a snack. Forgot to take a pic before FTC. 
    Member since 2009
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    How is the rub?
    Options
    The rub has a rustic taste to it. It's spicy but not hot spicy, like herbaceous with some sweet at the end. It's a good balance and I recommend it over ones that are just hot and sweet. 
    Member since 2009
    Options

Member since 2009
    Options
    It was still too hot to touch with bare hands after 1 1/2 hours FTC. Pulled just what we ate. Pretty dang good. 
    Member since 2009
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Looks like a clean pull on the bone!
    I'm a mustard fanatic and that looks like a bottle I need to get. Is it a brown spicy mustard?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
    Options
    @Hotch it's a really good spicy brown; http://bertmanballparkmustard.com/
    Member since 2009
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Thanks
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX