Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I happen to be in the "cover my eggs" mentality group

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited December 2016 in EggHead Forum
and my 15 year old BGE vinyl cover is now cracking and springing leaks. I sought out a some cover manufacturers looking to duplicate this model since it covers my large and small in my table and BGE no longer offers this combo. I settled on a price of $125 which includes postage from Duckcovers.com in CA. My old one ships tomorrow for sake of the pattern. Meanwhile during the 3 to 4 weeks for manufacture a simple tarp from Harbor Freight will do the covering honors.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Mine stays covered also.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Makes total sense if you want to keep stuff off of them.
    Options
    i dont see the point =)  no awning boat type canvas shops around, one could probably even do a logo on it. having my boat canvas done this winter

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I think you probably need a cover for the ground around your egg ;)
    Options
    Makes total sense if you want to keep stuff off of them.
    Especially 4 legged ugly "stuff" besides snow!

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited December 2016
    Options

I bet you could get a replacement under your warranty? @fishlessman
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You could build you a Chicken Coop like mine for the price of about 15 of those covers.  Works for me.

Spring "Roof The Egghead Along With The Egg" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Another awesome post Ron thanks for keeping the streak going.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Covered eggs in Houston= moldy eggs. Not doing that again. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Why is the cute little kitty so smelly?
    Options
    Seems fitting to link this here. 

http://www.boredpanda.com/dog-puppy-coyote-kayla-eby/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My brother kept his egg covered here in Georgia and it stayed moldy and the bands rusted. Mine stays uncovered and looks new. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    My brother kept his egg covered here in Georgia and it stayed moldy and the bands rusted. Mine stays uncovered and looks new. 
    Fine. You have heat and humidity issues there in Georgia which we don't by any comparison up here in central Illinois. I've been covering my eggs for 15 years and never have had mold nor rust issues.

The reason I started this thread was I thought both a picture and a solution might benefit others with the same interest. 
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    I can't believe @SGH has not posted a reply here yet based on the title alone...
  • Jameson19
    Options
    I cover my eggs too. I use a cheap, thin, patio furniture cover I got off Amazon. The desert sun will ruin my table. It's already ruined the first table and only took 2 summers to do so. Eggs themselves are just fine in the climate here. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    RRP said:
    Fine. You have heat and humidity issues there in Georgia which we don't by any comparison up here in central Illinois. I've been covering my eggs for 15 years and never have had mold nor rust issues.

The reason I started this thread was I thought both a picture and a solution might benefit others with the same interest. 

I'm with ya Ron. Just not sure which direction to go now that I've inherited his. I think I'm going to stay uncovered to keep as much moisture away from the metal. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I will occasionally "cover my eggs" in the winter to help keep them warm. The kamados I never cover as the weather doesn't bother them. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Seafooder
    Options
    Here in the U.K. I keep mine covered as rain water gets into the egg via the thermonitor.  No sign of mold with the vented bge but used at least once a week.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I will occasionally "cover my eggs" in the winter to help keep them warm. The kamados I never cover as the weather doesn't bother them. 
    I covered my eggs today when I went out, and they still got cold and crawled inside...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    I have a large and small with a table similar to yours. 9even has the folding side shelf.  I also cover them here in Ohio and have never had any mold or rust. Large about 20 years and small about 10. I always use vinyl coverings by Mel. She custom makes them and they last well over 10 years and the cost is very reasonalble. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I don't cover mine now, since they are in a covered area. Before I had the covered pavilion, I used an official BGE cover. I think a cover helps prevent rust and also helps preserve the wood handles.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I have the same cover.  I only use it to cover the egg and table when we have hail in the forecast.  Large has been thru several hail storms without as much as 

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    I cover my egg in spring to keep all the pollen off.
     If you buy a good cover mold won't be a problem.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've had a cheap cover on mine for the past year, I haven't had any issues with mold, rust, etc... We cook on it once or twice a week at least. The egg also lives on our covered back porch in a "nook". I've thought about getting a table for the egg (would likely stay uncovered) or a side table but I wanted to cook on it a while before making any decisions like that and I "needed" other accessories first B)! I am kind of indifferent, just giving 2 cents!
    LBGE
    AL