Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, need Zucchini recipes... casserole would be good

mojopin
mojopin Posts: 200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an overabundance of zucchini on hand from a friends garden. I'd like to make some sort of casserole with it to put on the egg in a stoneware casserole dish, indirect, raised grid. I had something years ago from my aunt that was topped with breadcrumbs but I can't find the recipe and she is on vacation... please help.[p]-mojopin

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    mojopin,
    Got this from Terry Pogue on the foodwine list. Haven't tried it but looks good to me.
    Cheers, Bob
    This is from Sunday Suppers at
    Lucques by Suzanne Goin. (a terrific cookbook with great recipes)
    terry[p][p]Summer Squash Gratin With Salsa Verde And Gruyere[p]Ingredients[p] 2 pounds summer squash
    1 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
    3 tablespoons butter unsalted
    1/4 cup shallots sliced
    1 teaspoons garlic minced
    1 tablespoons thyme leaves
    1/2 cup salsa verde
    1 cup Gruyere cheese grated
    kosher salt and black pepper[p]Instructions[p]Preheat the oven to 400F[p]Cut the squash into 1/8th inch thick slices. If you're using long
    zucchini type summer squash, slice them on the diagonal. Toss the
    slices in a large bowl with 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and let sit 10
    minutes.[p]Heat a small saute pan over medium heat for 1 minute. Swirl in the
    butter and cook a few minutes, until it browns and smells nutty. Pour
    the brown butter over the breadcrumbs (being sure to scrape all the
    brown bit into the bowl with a rubber spatula). Wait a minute or so
    for the butter to cool, and toss well.[p]Drain the squash and transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Add the
    shallots, minced garlic, thyme, 1/2 cup salsa verde, and some pepper.
    Toss to combine, and add teh cheese and half the butter coated
    breadcrumbs. Toss again, and taste for seasoning. (The raw garlic
    will taste strong at this point but will be delicious when cooked.)[p]Place the squash in a pretty 9 x 9 (or equivalent) gratin dish.
    Scatter the remaining breadcrumbs over the top, and bake 35 to 40
    minutes, until the squash is tender and the top is crisp.[p]

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    mojopin,
    This is a winner. Just use the zukes instead of the yellow squash, it works great. No reason it won't Egg to perfection:[p]Aunt Fanny’s Baked Squash Casserole
    (from Aunt Fanny’s Cabin restaurant in Smyrna, GA)[p]3 lb yellow summer squash
    1/2 C chopped onion (one small onion)
    1/2 C crushed cracker meal or bread crumbs, plus more for the top
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 stick butter, melted, divided
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    Freshly ground pepper to taste; add herbs of your choice if you want.[p]Wash and cut up squash. Boil until tender; drain thoroughly and mash (I use a potato masher)[p]Add all ingredients (except reserved 1/2 stick butter) to squash. Mix well.[p]Pour mixture into baking dish, add a layer of crumbs, and drizzle remaining melted butter overall.[p]Bake a preheated 375 oven for about one hour, or until brown on top.[p](note: I use a mixture of green zucchini and yellow squash, just for color, and I use crushed Ritz crackers)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    100_0808.jpg
    <p />mojopin,
    this one was zuchinni and summer squash with stewed tomatoes chedder and mozzerella. layer everything and cook til it bubbles. add some basil with the layers and a little oregano at the end.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    mojopin,
    These are very good, and very pretty, they could be Egged nicely:[p]Zucchini and Tomato Fans[p]Recipe By : Jacques Pepin's Table
    Serving Size : 4
    Ingredients:
    4 plum tomatoes -- long and narrow
    4 small zucchini -- ~1 1/2 x 6"
    4 large garlic cloves -- peeled
    2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
    vegetable cooking spray -- to coat baking dish[p]PREHEAT OVEN TO 400F.[p]Wash tomatoes and cut each lengthwise into 4 slices. Wash zucchini and trim off flower ends. Then, starting at flower end, cut each zucchini lengthwise into 1/4" slices, leaving slices attached at the setm end so they can be opened like a fan. Each zucchini should have 4 slits.[p]Arrange zucchini side by side in a lightly oiled roasting pan, with enough space in between them to fan out. Slide a slice of tomato into each slit and press down firmly on zucchini to create a fan with alternating segments of zucchini and tomato.[p]Cut each garlic clove lengthwise into 8 thin slices; slide slices into fans alongside tomato slices. Brush entire surface of fans with oil, and sprinkle salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence on top. Bake 30 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and fans are nicely browned on top. Using large spatula, transfer fans to 4 plates. Serve immediately.[p]

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    mojopin,[p]Shred it, let it sit in a colander to drain a bit, then sautee it with salt, pepper, and some nutmeg. Top with grated parmesan.[p]Gwen

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    I also can mine (zuc with tomato sauce). Sometimes I'll add a little squash and okra to the mix.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    mojopin, I make one with 3 zucchinis, shredded; a box of Jiffy corn bread mix; 4 eggs; and grated cheddar from a bag. Mix the eggs and corn bread mix. Add zucchini and half of the cheese. Mix all and top with the rest of the cheese. Cook at about 400° until done. JCA

• mojopin
    Everyone,[p]Thank you guys for the quick response, I can't wait to try these recipes! We are going to be zucchinied out by the end of the weekend.[p]BTW... how do I change the RE: subject like everyone else does? [p]-mojopin
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Here's the link...............

[ul][li]Verdure al Forno[/ul]
  • Leohat
    Leohat Posts: 6
    mojopin,
    IMHO, the dirty little secret to cooking zucchini, is to get as much of the water out as possible. The darn things are like 90% water. Cook's Illustrated had a article awhile back for sauteed zucchini in which they used a box grater and then lightly salted it and let it sit for a while in a colander. They got like a cup of water out it.

• mojopin
    JSlot,[p]Holy artery clogging recipe batman! [p]How does Giada stay so damn skinny when she makes healthy zucchini so bad for you! But Mmmmm... sounds good![p]Thanks :)
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    mojopin,[p]Don't have a casserole recipe for you. But here is a recipe for zucchini bread recipe.[p]John
    [ul][li]Simply Recipes - Zucchini Bread[/ul]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Before you "post" your message, hit the "Preview Message" button (right next to the "Post Message" button"). The preview screen allows you to change the subject line in the field/edit view at the bottom of the page.[p]Jim