Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Noob

Options
Hello all.

Got money for a BGE as a wedding gift and 8 months later I finally moved in to a house and bought a large egg. Have grilled steaks and chicken on it the last two nights without any major issues. Getting to a certain temp and maintaining it has been my main struggle so far, but that will come with practice.

I have never smoked anything before but love to grill so I've wanted an egg for a while. And now that I have it I am ready to try my hand at smoking.

What would some of the experts recommend me starting with for my first smoking experience.

Thanks all

Also any links to good saved threads would be awesome.
Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Greetings-

Welcome to the forum! I would say that pork butt or ribs would be a good start-not as long a brisket and temperature can increase without major issues. For links I would search the forum, there are plenty of threads on just about any meal/cooking technique.

Best of luck and post pictures!

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    I think starting with a pork butt/shoulder would be the way to go. The meat is very forgiving and you end up with something most everyone enjoys eating. Whether you want to brine or not, it's up to you. As for a rub, you could go as simple as salt and pepper to most of your favorites (watch for sugars). Look for a hardy wood such as oak, maple, hickory, pecan, or even apple and cherry. 
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Pork butt is a good first smoke.  It can be cooked in a variety of ways for great results.  You really have to work hard to mess it up.  

Pork butt = Boston butt = pork shoulder = pork collar = kata

Setup for an indirect cook.  Egg temp somewhere between 225-375º.  Add some salt to the pork and cook until tender (normally 195-205º).  Anything after that is personal preference.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @nolaegghead squirrel and frozen red wine cubes. I almost forgot about this post. Makes me miss Mississippi. ($h!t, I gotta call my Papaw)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome aboard.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Welcome!
    I like the positive attitude regarding temp control. And you're correct. It'll come in time with practice.
    Spatchcock :anguished:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Irbosnm8
    Options
    Fellow NOOB.  Picking up my LBGE in the AM.  Looking forward to the learning curve. Have a lot of experience on the kettle and stick burners.  Good luck and keep us posted on the trial and error.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Welcome to you and @Irbosnm8.  

Start with a pork butt. 

And as others have said, enjoy the journey. And take stuff posted here with a grain of salt. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• znagle28
    Options
    If you really want something easy to smoke for your first time, do some chicken breast or some sausage. 

Chicken breast - Rubbed with your favorite rub, get the egg to around 350* and add your wood chips/chunks (I use apple or cherry). Smoke them indirect until internal temp is 160. Usually 1.5-2 hours and it's done.

Sausage - Get the egg to about 200-225 and add the wood chips/chunks (use a heavy wood like hickory with a fruit wood) and smoke indirect until internal temperature is 160. Usually takes around 1-1.5 hours.

Much easier than babysitting your Egg for 12+ hours for the first time. I smoke chicken weekly and use the leftovers in my meals.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You have received solid recommendations....just wanted to say welcome to the forum.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow