Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini is a real asset to the Egg family

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My bribe to accompany Jim camping at the Oshkosh air show a couple of weeks ago was a new mini BGE. I absolutely love it, and boy did we eat well at the camp site. I took coho salmon filets, buffalo sirloin steaks, hot Italian sausage, maple breakfast sausages, and beer brats. I also egged vodka marinated cherry tomatoes in foil for the morning scrambled eggs (which were done over a propane fire), and grilled peppers and onions for the Italian sausages. We even grilled English muffins and rolls on the mini. Since camping, I've used it many time for quick grills and side dishes. I'm totally loving the size, and it's a perfect complement to my Small and Large. Easy to start, easy to clean, and I fabricated a raised grid by using the outer ring of a spring-form baking pan. Works fine.[p]That being said, I was horribly disappointed with the Web vendor from whom I ordered it. They promised for a solid month I'd have it to take camping, and it never did arrive. Fortunately a local store happened to have one, vastly overpriced, and I bought it as a last resort. The mail order mini arrived the day after we left. When I returned home, I opened the carton and discovered it was broken, and i think it had been broken before it was shipped. This is really not good. The company's now dragging its feet about accepting the return, and I ended up calling the credit card and getting them involved in the process. I have never, ever had trouble ordering on-line before this. What a pain![p]Perhaps I'm not supposed to post the name of the online company, but it was Barbecues.com. I don't mean to be confrontational at all, just an alert from one consumer to another.[p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• Gretl
    Options
    Gretl,
    I forgot to mention the pork tenderloin we did while camping. Ginger rub, teriyaki sauce, absolute perfection. Great work mini!

• Gretl,[p]Did you find that the Mini could get hot enough to sear Steaks, Tuna, etc.
  • Gretl
    Options
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Gretl,[p]I was wondering that as well. I'm thinking I need a smaller size for doing just a couple burgers or steaks and not wanting to fire up the large. I was wondering if I should be thinking about a small or mini. Since you have both, what do you suggest? I would also use the second egg when I needed more grill space and the large was full. Like maybe the large was busy bbq'ing ribs but I wanted to do some ABTs for appetizers. But mostly for the quickie little cooks when it's just me or me and hubby.[p]Gwen

• randomegger
    Options
    dimplesmom,[p]I have both a small and a mini to go with my large. I use the mini when it's just my wife and I at home - great for steaks and small cooks. The small generally gets used when I have overflow from the large - usually big cooks.[p]I'd have to say that I use the mini more than the small - especially as the mini is a LOT more portable than the small, which makes it great for camping.[p]RE
  • Jack
    Jack Posts: 10
    Options
    Gretl,that is why I pay whatever it costs to buy things from a local dealer, RECOURSE when there is a problem.