Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are you lookin' at my butt?

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
View?u=819531&a=10663732&p=37671333
<p />Stopped by the store today on the way home from work and found Boston Butts on sale for 98 cents/lb. Just put a 4.5 lb butt on the egg. First covered it with cheap mustard, then a rub.[p]Smokey

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Smokey,
    Looks good D'man. You doing great.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Hi Smokey,[p]If the pic is of your butt, I be lookin' and likin' what I see :-).[p]Quick question. Why are you using a mesh under the 1/2 flats?[p]Spin

• Smokey
    Options
    Spin,[p]Its actually a square fish cooking grate. A friend spot welded it to a round grill. I use it often for fish. Will post a few pics later![p]Smokey

• Smokey
    Options
    JJ,[p]A compliment from you means ALOT! There are so many newcommers to the forum and some great cooks at that I couldn't let them have all of the fun![p]Smokey
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Smokey,
    Damon,
    I know what you mean. I have been chastized by many of the newbies that have been cooking on the EGG for a few months that say I have no idea what I am talking about. My 50+ years of Q'n and 23 years on the EGG makes them more proficient than us old timers.

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    JJ,
    Hi buddy! just a short yell.Awhile back I gave a friend a little dab of your rub,he called me yesterday and said that he had used it on a thick King Mackeral steak.He marinaded fish for 24hrs in cheap italian dressing,put a thick coating of your rub on ,grilled indirect at 250° for 8 min per side,said it was so good almost brought tears of joy!!!Thats GOOD! Thanks Bob

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    JJ,[p]I have cooked with you twice, helped you prepare a meal, shared large amounts of conversations with you over the years, and look forward to continuing it all and more.[p]I would offer that you are at your very best in person, with your wife being the one that has the gift on the keyboard ;-). You seem to type a lot slower than your knowledge wants to offer. Your posts, though very accurate, tend to be abrupt - very short and to the point. The interpretation of your abbreviated posts (by the readers) may tend to convey an aire of superiority that I know you do not have. I know you constantly learn more of what can be cooked and how to do it on the Egg as much as we all do.[p]I also know that you are very acquanted with how to cook many meals on the Egg, and your experience is needed here. I have learned many a technique from you, most from emails and a few finalized when I had the opportunity of watching you in action.[p]It took me a year to get details of your Eggtoberfest99' leg of lamb (forum, email, phone). If I had posted that I had a leg of lamb and wanted the best way to cook it, would you have posted to skin it, trim all of the fat off, cut small slits in the meat, insert garlic cloves in the slits, cover with fresh rosemary, and cook indirect at 350°F to 135°F internal using a certain wood for smoke?[p]You do have a lot to offer. You need to break your knowledge down to the point of a step by step method post so we can learn from you.[p]No offense intended, my friend.
    Spin

• Smokey
    Options
    Well JJ,[p]They will have to live and learn! Don't take it personally, for they know not what they say! It's sleep time for me and my butt. mor in the AM![p]Smokes

• 3 Balut's
    Options
    JJ, this is one newbie who listens to the masters. I've had my egg just about a week now and wouldn't even think about mucking things up. I've been sniffing around this web site for approx 4 months and have kept quite a few of your tips on q'ing. Keep up the good work.[p]VaNole