Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who else dosen't drink?

Options
I used to drink a lot. Egging and drinking seem to go together and I used to love to do it.  Now I don't drink because I let it get out of hand. Wife, job, health ect. ect. That is all. Happy New Year!
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I don't drink any more- but then again I don't drink any less either. 

Just kidding-

glad you could get things back in control. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've definitely throttled back over the years. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    As all things it's a matter of personal responsibility. When I was much younger I struggled with knowing when to say when. Anything that negatively effects those things important to you should be eliminated 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'm in the midst of cutting it out altogether.  Just don't enjoy it anymore, and its effects on me have changed over the years. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I'm in the midst of cutting it out altogether.  Just don't enjoy it anymore, and its effects on me have changed over the years. 
    Can I have your beer?
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @Eggcelsior , you come by my house you can drink whatever I have.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    I also suffer from the no "off" switch. As soon as I have one drink that's what I am doing with the rest of my day.  I def agree cooking and drinking go hand in hand, it's something I am working on cutting out all together. 
    VA Beach
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have been trying to drink less Monday through Thursday. It's hard.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Lit - a practice I gave up on many years ago but did work (if you are a beer drinker) was to only chill 2 bottles of beer a day on the Monday-Thurs schedule.  Fri-Sun a whole different ball-game and since have buried the 2-a-day practice.  
    But while I was a responsible adult, it worked.  Now I'm an "every day is Saturday, get off my lawn" mature citizen.  So much for self-restraint.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Not much of a drinker here at all. I'll drink once or twice a year . A lot of family members have REAL problems with it... I've seen the effects first hand. It's a path I don't feel like starting . Even when I drink when I do I feel like I'm playing with fire
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    No idea if that's a real quote or not but figured I'd post it up. Seriously all respect to those that abstain and or have beat the disease. I do my best to keep my drinking to a respectful level as my dad was an alcoholic. Don't want that for my daughter. Maybe 2-3 a night, I never let her see me drink too much.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    One or two cocktails or a couple fingers of Scotch a few times a month is about all I imbibe. Alcohol was never a big thing for me.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Nope. Drink probably 12 or 15 over a weekend. Sometimes i mix in a little heavier stuff but rarely get drunk anymore. Young kids and hangovers just dont mix. 
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    Don't drink, never have, no desire to.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I don't drink. Just don't eat or drink anything that I don't like the taste of. And now I can't mix alcohol with my meds. I don't feel like I am missing anything and I don't mind if other around me are drinking but it's not for me.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Good for all of you that stopped or never started. I've toyed with the idea more in the last year than ever. I find myself getting angry or upset when I drink too much but it's not every time which is strange. 

Beer has been such an defining aspect of my life for so long I don't know what I would do (home brewer, BJCP certified beer judge, thousands spent on brewing items etc). Plus in small town life it's just "what you do". I've been trying to have no more than 4 a day on weekends but again, no off switch and 1 becomes 12 very easily. 

Take care. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I drink a little but for the past few years I limit to no more than two in a night and 4 or so in a week. Often much less than that. That is the deal with my diabetes doctor. I had long before curtailed it drastically as college ended. A DUI conviction would have cost me my job and maybe my professional license. Besides it never made any problems go away for me.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @gmac not to sidetrack the wagon here but I'd love to talk brewing sometime, just getting into it my self. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Cutting back.  Nothing during the week. Maybe a few on the weekend.  I don't drink wine or any hard liquor. Just craft beer.  The choices around here are pretty much overwhelming and it gets tiring.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Wife and I do not drink, just not something we do, we grew up strict baptist. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Holepuncher
    Options
    Don't drink. Never saw anything good come from it.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Sadly, a persons ability to drink responsibly is not known until they take a drink. I keep alcohol in the house and it may go many months before I think about having a drink. Other people, if it's in their home they can't stay out of it. I see nothing wrong with a daily drink, as long as it doesn't take over one's life.  
    For the unfortunate people that don't have the ability to realize that they have had enough, it's a real problem. I had a guy that I worked with for many years that was that way. If he ever went into the bar and had a beer, it was going to be an all night deal. That really sucked when we were out of town and traveling together. All I wanted to do was get home, and instead I was stuck taking care of him, making sure he didn't drive. I've almost missed Christmas day at home because of this situation. He happened to be a lifelong family friend that I didn't feel I could walk out and leave him there 500 miles from home.
    I think that one's inability to know when to stop drinking has a hereditary component and is a real medical problem.
    You never know if you have this condition until you start drinking. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It's almost Friday right?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Wife and I do not drink, just not something we do, we grew up strict baptist. 
    Me too (the baptist part, not the "i don't drink part"). Went to Christian school through 9th grade. Church every Wednesday, twice every Sunday, chapel every Thursday in school and Christian camp for 2 weeks every summer. I like to think I got all my church in early :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I don't drink. I have a drinking problem:

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Not anymore - April 6 will make 10 years.  Drank way too much for way too long. Somehow avoided a record, divorce and death but deserved all three. Caught up to my only brother last year and buried him at 45. For those with the genetic predisposition its evil (but damn tasty). 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Marty_Huggins
    Options
    I don't. Never have, never will. 
    Sumter. South Carolina
    Bring Your Broom, Cuz it's a mess
    Medium BGE, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle
    2 Pugs (Muffins and Poundcakes)