Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vortex for the Egg?

Anyone here use the Vortex for their Egg?  Any real reason to have one and use one in an Egg?
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    No
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• What's a Vortex?
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • They are great for a Webber Kettle but I don't see any use for them in an Egg. But I could be wrong, I know I've already been wrong once this year.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• tikigriller
    Seems as though the specialty for it is wings and the ability to put them all "around" the heat source to get the heat and crispy without having to worry at all about burning them.  Wings are a once a week thing in my house at a minimum, so I was wondering if anyone here had it or has used it on the Egg yet.

And you are ahead of me @SaintJohnsEgger I've been wrong twice this year already!

Livermore, California
  • thanks for the link. Looks like the vortex does what a plate setter or half moon plate setter does by directing the heat to a certain area. As far as searing goes, wont going nuclear in the egg produce the same results?

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • tikigriller
     I would say yes and no. In the instance of doing chicken wings, the vortex will still keep the lump burning in one specific area straight up, where a plate setter, is still going to either slow down the cook drastically, or still have hotspots on the grill or the areas the plate setter doesn't cover.  As far as searing goes, your indirect is off to the side, and then when you are ready to sear, it's already blazing hot right in the center, so you can directly sear and not have to pull, then foil, remove platesetter and then wait for egg to heat up. 

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Yep. 

Its $40. I can think of $40 I waste on much dumber **** than this!!!!

gonna have to order one and give it a go. 

Livermore, California
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Haha dude u have to be closing in on having every eggcessory there is... 
  • tikigriller
    cheeaa said:
    Haha dude u have to be closing in on having every eggcessory there is... 
    This will be the first one I have bought in a LONG time!!!  The good news, is my Dad got me a really nice Sous Vide for Christmas, but since I already have the Anova one, his is gong to turn into a Joetiscerrie!!!  

Oh yeah!!!!!!

Livermore, California
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Yep   it conserves fuel in your xl so you dont go through a bag of lump everytime you cook
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Whatever happened to tiki? Anyone hear from him lately?
  • Whatever happened to tiki? Anyone hear from him lately?
    He came in and was posting like it was going out of style. Then he went dark. 
  • tikigriller
    My work blocked the website, which is where I posted the most with the home life being so busy!!!!  Have added a second large egg and am still egging away though!!!!

Livermore, California
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    My work blocked the website, which is where I posted the most with the home life being so busy!!!!  Have added a second large egg and am still egging away though!!!!
    whoa whoa whoa, work blocked eggheadforum.com?  thats messed up.  and to answer your 18 month old query, yes, the vortex works great on my XL.  fabulous tool.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,011
    You got a mobile phone? :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    My cracked and broken PS is what I use for a Vortex‼️‼️‼️

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• tikigriller
    Have you not seen how small the font is???  

Livermore, California
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Have you not seen how small the font is???  
    Request Desktop Site... Then you can make it as large as you need. And the Search function works.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut