Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aged beef

Options
OK I am ready to give this a try just need to know after its been aged do I really need to trim not sure it makes sense.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2016
    Options
    setdahook said:
    after its been aged do I really need to trim
    No sir, you do not. If you trim, you are simply wasting good meat in my opinion. Why even go to the trouble of aging it if you are going to cut most of it off in the end? Just my thoughts and opinion my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• setdahook
    Options
    So then is the regular steak cook once done? I do not want to eat a damn football.
  • setdahook
    Options
    Sgh gimme the full scoop
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Open cryo. Place on a rack over a cookie sheet in the fridge. Done

wait 45 days

slice into steaks and roasts

don't trim (except very ends)

roast the roasts

grill the steaks

no magic, no complications. 
  • setdahook
    Options
    Awesome sauce.com thanks all 
  • SGH
    Options
    setdahook said:
    Also is http://www.drybagsteak.com the way to go?
    setdahook said:
    Sgh gimme the full scoop
    My brother, ask a thousand folks and you will probably get a thousand different answers on this subject. 
    There are many folks who use and like the bags. There are those who hate them for whatever reason. On that note, let me point out that man has dry aged meat since time immemorial without the use of bags. It is still far and away the most common method used today. 
    Not trying to say which way is best or which way is right or wrong. But I'm in the camp of the simpler the better. Thus I do not bag. Never had any issues at all my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• setdahook
    Options
    So if no bag gimme the run down as I am not in the running to buy a dedicated fridge for this  but more than happy to learn
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    setdahook said:
    So if no bag gimme the run down as I am not in the running to buy a dedicated fridge for this  but more than happy to learn
    3 posts above yours gives the rundown 
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Open cryo. Place on a rack over a cookie sheet in the fridge. Done

wait 45 days

slice into steaks and roasts

don't trim (except very ends)

roast the roasts

grill the steaks

no magic, no complications. 
    @setdahook
    Do exactly what strike/Darby/Justine said above. It's honestly just that simple my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• setdahook
    Options
    Awesome thanks people may have had a few beers before you pointed out that!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I don't bag my meat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    I don't bag my meat.
    Sadly I never did either brother D. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of kids ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    DMW said:
    I don't bag my meat.
    He did when he was a batchelor.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    SGH said:

Not trying to say which way is best or which way is right or wrong. 
    Scottie,  so political
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    After @bgebrent and I tested bag vs no bag on a 100 day project, the only benefit to having a bag was to hold the shape of the loin while the drying process was taking place. It helped keep the meat from splitting along the main fat lines that run through the loin. No difference in taste or texture. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    After @bgebrent and I tested bag vs no bag on a 100 day project, the only benefit to having a bag was to hold the shape of the loin while the drying process was taking place. It helped keep the meat from splitting along the main fat lines that run through the loin. No difference in taste or texture. 
    This splitting is a good point. 

I have had them split only a couple times, and never had enough awareness of the situation to figure out what was causing it. My thinking was perhaps it was too dry, as it happened on a 65-75 day project once

but i'm pretty sure i had one at 45 days too. 

• setdahook
    Options
    Never really crossed my mind but seems like just marketing since bacteria won't really get into a refrigerator. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I am regarded as the most evil anti bag hater on here. But that's incorrect. i have tried to point out their benefits when i see them. And i think i have actually explained their benefits more than those (who see me as a basher have ever done)

There are some benefits beyond placating the wife (which oddly is the ONLY benefit that has ever been promoted here by its users).  

I wouldn't say it is 'all marketing'. But I do think it is plain to see that aging without the extra expense of them is entirely possible. It's the traditional way to age (unwrapped in open air), and so it's pretty well known and manageable

but they do have their place. Wouldn't say it is all hype or all about playing to the fear of the 'unknown' (i.e. Making things feel safe when they already are).

it's just that's the reason  most seem to give. 

I had some bresaola that collapsed pretty quickly during a dry spell. I had wondered whether the dry bags might help, because they dry a bit more slowly up front in the process than open dry aging does. Which would likely meter things a bit and help keep shape. 

Some people are using them for dry curing. I know nothing about that side of things. 

With dry aging beef, my understanding is that because they initially dry slower than open air, they retain moisture in the meat during the initial period longer than open air. Which implies that at say 28 days, the bagged beef and open air beef are equally aged, but the bagged has more remaining moisture. Which surely is what translates to juiciness on the plate. 

That's 'good' if that's what you want

but the flip side is that part of dry aging is drying. Separate from the aging, this drying is the condensing of flavor by getting rid of flavorless water. This is what gives you the "intense" part of the intense beefiness

i've been told (via relay) that the manufacturer has found that although bagged beef initially dries more slowly, the drying rate evens out fairly soon between bagged and bagless. 

That means, at a certain point the rind of the open air beef has progressed to the point where it slows the drying more than it initially did (drying slows).  

So, at about our sweet spot of 45 days (again, an oft stated 'interne't number i am pretty sure originated in this, or more specifically the original BGE forum), both bagged and bagless will have lost roughly the same amount of weight (flavorless water).  Obviously they have both aged the same amount time. 

So it really becomes a case of:

-know what you want. and try to understand what is happening so that you can get there. 

With or without bags

Dry aging is one of those ghost ship topics that keep roving the sea: Never landing, clouded in fog, disbelieved, argued about, confused by myths and storytelling 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    It would be interesting to compare the moisture content of bagged vs no bag in real time through the project 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    There was clearly more drying/shrinking of the unbagged roast in our project.  And it was significant.  But as mentioned, it didn't affect taste or texture, interestingly.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga