Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday smoked chicken

chicken on at 250 with a couple of small pecan chunks.

Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.

Comments

• We've been doing chickens at 250 pretty much as a rule now. Crisps up great, good smoke too

wish i had a ready source of pecan
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Nice! The smoked breast is delicious in chicken salad.

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    NonaScott said:

What are you using to support your drip tray?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @JustineCaseyFeldown, I found it at Home Depot a while back. Chunks only. Might have been when they were changing suppliers though. Haven't looked since, but you might check it out. 

There's always this place (free shipping). 
    http://fruitawood.com/shop.html#!/Wood-Chips-Wood-Chunks-&-Wood-Splits/c/20346062/offset=0&sort=normal

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eoin said:
    NonaScott said:

What are you using to support your drip tray?
    It's just sitting on a round rack that came with a crock pot about a half in high.
    Narcoossee, FL

• rifrench said:
    Nice! The smoked breast is delicious in chicken salad.

Just finished making chicken salad with the leftovers
    Narcoossee, FL

• We've been doing chickens at 250 pretty much as a rule now. Crisps up great, good smoke too

It's my wife's favorite way. For me, spatchcock is just a lazy mans way to grill chicken parts. No comparison in the flavor and texture IMO
    Narcoossee, FL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Looks great. Got one on right now. Going to make some nachos with it. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    NonaScott said:
    It's my wife's favorite way. For me, spatchcock is just a lazy mans way to grill chicken parts. No comparison in the flavor and texture IMO
    Agree/Disagree.  Both my wife and I love smoked and we both love spatchcock.  When it comes to preparation, it's apples and oranges.  Sometimes you have the time to do a full smoke, othertimes 60-70 minutes is all that's available.  There's nothing "lazy" about it.  The Egg's best attribute is it's versatility, and that includes grilling.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • DonWW said:
    NonaScott said:
    Agree/Disagree.  Both my wife and I love smoked and we both love spatchcock.  When it comes to preparation, it's apples and oranges.  Sometimes you have the time to do a full smoke, othertimes 60-70 minutes is all that's available.  There's nothing "lazy" about it.  The Egg's best attribute is it's versatility, and that includes grilling.
    Didn't mean to imply that people who spatchcock chickens are lazy but, it is much easier to snip the backbone out of a chicken, squash it down and throw it on the grill as opposed to cutting up the chicken into eight pieces then having to babysit those pieces while grilling. I like grilled chicken also. To me nothing smells better than chicken grilling over charcoal. I usually cut my chicken into eight pieces because I like to dunk them into bbq sauce or Alabama white sauce and char a little and it is easier to do with individual pieces.
    Narcoossee, FL