Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First SRF Brisket!

Options
byrne092
byrne092 Posts: 746
edited December 2016 in Beef
Picked up a couple 14lb black briskets a few months ago and finally busted one out at the beginning of this week to cook for a little Christmas party this Saturday. After trimming fairly modestly I accumulated a little over 3 lbs scap. Seemed kind of heavy on the fat cap and a very very thin flat at the end. The meat looks out of this world though, much different than any choice packer I've bought (can't find prime around here surprisingly). The point marbling is ridiculous. Wrapped in some plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge. Cleaned it up a little more after the trimmed picture, but wanted to get it wrapped up and put away as the fat was starting to turn buttery.

Planning on throwing it on tomorrow night around 11-12. Hoping to finish up sometime in the afternoon for a 5-6pm slicing time. Fingers crossed and hopes high! 

XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You're in for a treat!  It'll cook a bit faster than your regular briskets so cook to feel and be prepared to FTC if it goes faster than expected.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Keep us posted!
    NW IOWA
  • byrne092
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Well it's on! A crazy ice storm hit St. Louis and wreaked havoc everywhere, I was just happy to make it home in one piece. Basically every on/off ramp in the metro area was shut down. Everything is just coated in a sheet of ice, couldn't make it up the driveway in 4wd. 

I was skating across the patio the entire time trying to get the egg fired up and ready, putting my inebriated balance to the test. I snapped a few pictures before it went on, but I didn't want to snap my neck messing around outside. Still can't get over the quality of this brisket! 

St. Louis, MO
  • Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Options
    Looks great! I'll be following this to see him it turns out. I'm not quite Brave enough for a SRF's brisket yet, I'm only just doing my first brisket on the Egg now. Good luck, and stay warm and upright. 
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Looks great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Slabotnick
    Options
    Makes me want to buy one
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I can't wait to do one of mine again. My first brisket ever was Srf and I killed it....not in a good way. 

I will I'll also be very curious to what time yours is done. I have not found 11 to be early enough to have it ready for dinner by 5 if I plan to FTC. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    You are in for a treat! My only advice is to let it rest until the internal is 145 or so before slicing with all that marbleing.
  • byrne092
    Options
    It's cruising along nicely, about 9 hours in its at 175ish. I replaced the probes after poking around with the thermapen. It smells and looks amazing! Probably going to wrap in the next hour or so. 

St. Louis, MO
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    Wow!!.....really nice looking
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Now that is a great pic-can't wait for the finish-line shots.  Your success over the ice will be justly rewarded.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Damn dude. Looks awesome. Where u live. Ill be there soon! Ice is gonna hit again tonight so hopefully its done soon.  =) LGB btw! B)
  • byrne092
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @cheeaa thanks! I live in Edwardsville..and I'm not venturing out tonight, buddies are coming over but if worse comes to worse there is always uber. LGB!

Question, do you guys only prove from the top? Top is probing real nice from the top but kind of resistive if you go from the side. Getting some different temp readings too, from 190 to 200s from different areas of the flat. 

St. Louis, MO
  • byrne092
    Options
    Pulled it, still trying to master the feel of doneness. Letting cool off for a bit then in for a 4 hour nap. 

St. Louis, MO
  • byrne092
    Options
    Tried a little sample, it was good, but it was a little dried out on the tip, I think the rest is gonna be perfect! 

St. Louis, MO
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Man that looks awesome
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Money shots gotta be available??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks great!  Im no master but I only probe from the top. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    That looks solid... gonna be great I'm sure!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"