Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New cookbook: Anthony Bourdain's "Appetites"

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,432

Just got this from The Man in the Brown Shorts™ yesterday, and leafed through about half of it last night.  I keep swearing off buying more cookbooks, but it works about as well as my dieting.  I've read a couple of his books, and his writing is just like his TV shows, excellent and irreverent.  Don't know that he's done an actual book with recipes in it before.  
The recipes run the gamut from simple (scrambled eggs) to esoteric (Portuguese Squid and Octopus Soup) and apparently they are his favorite recipes when he cooks at home (if he ever does; he has my dream job traveling the globe, eating locally, and drinking 'til stupid).  
He gets obnoxious as is expected:
 If Jacques Pepin tells you this is how you make a **** egg?  The matter is settled, **** nuts.  Now go back to arguing about Bundt cake recipes.

...but he also gets kinda soft: his recipe for homemade tomato soup doesn't stray far from "the can", because that's what he grew up with and comforts him.  

This so far is a fun book to read, and the recipes look top-notch.  The photography is very clever and in some cases, hilarious!  Recommended, and just in time for Christmas.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• I looked through it at Costco, then went home and googled his Mac and Cheese recipe that's in the book (easy to find). Enough cookbooks!!!! Very often you can find a recipe from a specific book by just googling it.
    Judy in San Diego
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I like him and all... entertaining and the book I may check it out. But at the end of the day, the guy is a pompous a$$. Just my opinion
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Art reminds me of Ralph Steadman.  
    SkinnyV said:
    I like him and all... entertaining and the book I may check it out. But at the end of the day, the guy is a pompous a$$. Just my opinion
    A pompous a$$ that gets paid to be a pompous a$$. I'd take that job if I could get it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Art reminds me of Ralph Steadman.  
    Me too Carey!  Cookbooks are obsolete beyond decoration.  I have some decorations...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited December 2016
    I still really like cookbooks.  Not sure why, I can find everything online, but something about leafing through an honest to goodness bound book.

I like watching Anthony Bourdain, but I would love to have a beer with Andrew Zimmern, if he drinks.  Knowing his past he may not drink.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    I still really like cookbooks.  Not sure why, I can find everything online, but something about leafing through an honest to goodness bound book.

I like watching Anthony Bourdain, but I would love to have a beer with Andrew Zimmern, if he drinks.  Knowing his past he may not drink.
    Brother, I too like cookbooks.  Just like I read bound books and have no need for a kindle.  Obsolescence is unavoidable in this world of 0's and 1's.  You sir and I are the old guard.  Glad to have you alongside.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    bgebrent said:

Brother, I too like cookbooks.  Just like I read bound books and have no need for a kindle.  Obsolescence is unavoidable in this world of 0's and 1's.  You sir and I are the old guard.  Glad to have you alongside.
    Dude, @Ozzie_Isaac is like 23 or so.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:

WTF Dwayne, I'm only pushing 29!  Don't let the hair loss fool you.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:

So you are the young guard, not the old guard.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• bgebrent
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:

So you are the young guard, not the old guard.
    Be quiet now Grasshopper, there is much to learn MF! ;)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:

I'm an old soul :)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ozzie is actually a guy in a mental institution that stole a cell phone from an orderly.  Swear to god!
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:

I'm an old soul :)
    No.  Ozzie_Isaac is a youngster.  But with this one, the force is strong, or at best detectable. ;)
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Yep the cover is definitely Ralph Steadman. I have always liked Bourdain, he cracks me up and I like his taste in music. I think I have 70 episodes of his CNN show on my dvr to watch now that it is winter here in the north. I have been fortunate enough to have traveled to several of the countries he has visited and have eaten in some of the places on his shows, not because he ate there but because they were on our itinerary. My wife hates it when I call her into the room to watch where I have been =)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • My library has the e-book.  I will check it out and deside if it is worth the purchase. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie is actually a guy in a mental institution that stole a cell phone from an orderly.  Swear to god!
    Quiet!  They will find me and take it.
  • His Les Halles cookbook is one of my most used. Plenty of good recipes but also good cooking information. His original book had a chapter on the ten things a home cook needs to know to cook better, very good information. I'll leave you with one, shallots.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited December 2016
    He seems to fancy himself as the modern Hemingway of culture and culinary arts. And to that end he has been remarkably successful. I especially admire his effective/affective use of imagery in his narration.
    Gittin' there...
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    I must admit I really like Parts Unknown, he seems to fit in well wherever he goes