Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ot: new toy Jeep

just picked this up, not really a Jeep guy but they always looked like fun; it's an 04-X, needs a little mechanical tweaking here & there but pretty tight for its age & mileage & has zero rust, looks like it's been garage kept heretofore:

almost had to butter the top to fit it in my unusually low garage, truck stands 6 foot 5 at its peak & squeezed in with about a 1/2 inch to spare but she's in:

really looking forward to taking the top off this spring

happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i would have the top off now =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Nice ride.  My brother thought he was a jeep guy until he finally got one and then sold it about 9 months later.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I had an old '89 Wrangler for years and recently sold it......still regret that decision.  I currently drive a '10 Toyota FJ and absolutely love it off-road (as well as on).  Nothing like driving on a nice day with no top.

Enjoy!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Very cool! My wife just got one too. I'll admit I've been bit. Already plotting tires, lift kit, and bumpers...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • I've always had jeeps.  I have a 14 wrangler sport right now.  There a lot of fun in the spring-fall here.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    That will let you take to the ditches when necessary to get to the wrecks before your fellow barristers!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Congrats! I have wanted one ever since the 50s when they used to run ads in magazines for WW2 surplus Jeeps for 50 bucks or some such. In pieces, coated with cosmoline. Truly DIY. Anyway, I was like 8 years old so it didn't matter. Still want a Jeep but have never done it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• znagle28
    znagle28 Posts: 33
    edited December 2016
    Jeep wave!

Sold my turbocharged tuned sports car at the end of March and picked up a '16 Willy's Wheeler and haven't looked back. I've drooled over this for about 2 years and finally made the switch. MUCH more practical in the winter than a RWD sports car.. A blast to drive in the summer and the winter too. We got 7in or so of snow Sunday and I was driving last night, pulled off the road into a field and tore it up with no problem. Done a few things to mine, but it's nowhere near where I want it to be. Got a lonnnng time before I get to that point.

You're gonna love it!

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Jeremiah said:
    Very cool! My wife just got one too. I'll admit I've been bit. Already plotting tires, lift kit, and bumpers...
    yup, I'll tell you, this whole thing started probably 5 years ago; every year around now when it starts to get cold I start thinking about a convertible in the spring/summer/fall so I'd peruse Craigslist & other sites looking at dozens if not hundreds of them.  Then one day a Wrangler popped up, never really thought of it as a convertible but of course it is plus a whole lot more, so the search narrowed to those.  At any given time there are a couple hundred on Craigslist to pick from but I was looking for something very specific (pretty much exactly what I got, a single solid color on 100% black everything that's already been lifted with big fat wheels).  It was starting to look like I'd have to settle for a stock one then do all of that to it, not an entirely inexpensive proposition but certainly doable.  But, got lucky, found this one which met all my criteria & bonus lacked rust which was an issue with so many of them of this & older vintage.  Stars lined up so pulled the trigger
    happy in the hut
  • fishlessman
    you have room for another 1/2 inch of body lift =)
    fukahwee maine

• Zippylip
    ha, truth is I was sweating bullets as I realized its height might be an issue (literally didn't occur to me as I was buying it); this truck is not a daily driver & is not needed even for the deepest of snow (the existing Subie Crosstrek is quite capable in all manner of horrendous weather events).  This thing is so clean it was always my intention to garage keep it when not driven & the thought that it would be sitting in my driveway just getting pounded with rain year round wasn't sitting well with me plus I'll remove the top in March & it'll remain off until November, the thought of doing that every time I wanted to drive it... well sucked.  But it worked so I'm happy
    happy in the hut
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Had a jeep for years, TJ. Bought it for 21k, sold it six years later for 17k.  Lots  of fun. It worked in Dallas where the speed limits were 45mph on city roads.  I moved to Austin, and speed limits were 65mph.  The jeep is not built for a smooth daily commute at those speeds!!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Look into fluid filming the undercarriage of your jeep. I did mine in the spring and before winter. The thread below has all you need. Short story it's much better than traditional udnercoating and protects from salt and dirt. Keep that thing rust free. Wranglerforum is also the mecca of everything you'll ever need, beware though it's just like this website. You find something new you want to buy every day...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/the-end-all-fluid-film-thread-1267809.html
  • Zippylip
    Had a jeep for years, TJ. Bought it for 21k, sold it six years later for 17k.  Lots  of fun. It worked in Dallas where the speed limits were 45mph on city roads.  I moved to Austin, and speed limits were 65mph.  The jeep is not built for a smooth daily commute at those speeds!!
    As much as I like this thing I really can't imagine it as a daily driver & I think it would kill the fun aspect of it.  I took it out on the highway just to see what it could do, and what it did was 60mph with my foot to the floor, couldn't coax another mph out of it :o, but that's fine by me, it'll rarely see the highway =) .

For the daily grind I prefer small quick automatic & efficient matchbox type cars with all the necessary comforts...
    happy in the hut
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Nice ride and color.  I want another Jeep.  I seen a guy this weekend with his top off on his jeep and it was in the 20's.  Have fun offroad. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    Zippylip said:
    ha, truth is I was sweating bullets as I realized its height might be an issue (literally didn't occur to me as I was buying it); this truck is not a daily driver & is not needed even for the deepest of snow (the existing Subie Crosstrek is quite capable in all manner of horrendous weather events).  This thing is so clean it was always my intention to garage keep it when not driven & the thought that it would be sitting in my driveway just getting pounded with rain year round wasn't sitting well with me plus I'll remove the top in March & it'll remain off until November, the thought of doing that every time I wanted to drive it... well sucked.  But it worked so I'm happy
    maybe even higher with the top down =)  not sure why it is but ive been looking at h2 sut hummers and they are far less money down your way. had a h3t quoted to me this morning next town over and they want 28k for a vehicle with 132000 miles on it, i dont think so.  pennsylvania and nj seem to have the deals i just dont know if i can hit the buy it now button =)
    fukahwee maine

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Zippylip said:
    As much as I like this thing I really can't imagine it as a daily driver & I think it would kill the fun aspect of it.  I took it out on the highway just to see what it could do, and what it did was 60mph with my foot to the floor, couldn't coax another mph out of it :o, but that's fine by me, it'll rarely see the highway =) .

For the daily grind I prefer small quick automatic & efficient matchbox type cars with all the necessary comforts...
    Sounds like you have the 4 banger in it? If so yeah it sucks with oversized tires.
    Nice off-road toys but a 500 mile days with the road manners of a tractor combined with soft top flapping so loud you scream at each other to talk at speed was too much for me as I got middle aged. If it's not your daily driver, it can be fun to play with. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • please keep off topic posts in the "Off Topic" forum, which was specifically set aside for this type of uninteresting, unhelpful, post.

• fishlessman
    please keep off topic posts in the "Off Topic" forum, which was specifically set aside for this type of uninteresting, unhelpful, post.

its an egg transporter
    fukahwee maine

• zippy doesn't own an egg.  he is a known weber fanatic and blackstone pimp. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Zippylip said:

ha, truth is I was sweating bullets as I realized its height might be an issue (literally didn't occur to me as I was buying it);
    if you meaning reaching the pedals, i would suggest contacting a guy on the forum known as "canadiansteve" or something like that.  he can tell you where to get those wooden blocks they add to the pedals so you can reach them.

and you can build a small wooden platform next to your driveway, so that each time you pull up to it on the driver's side.  then you can get into and out of the jeep easier.

totally unrelated question...  you got a hitch on that, for, say.  oh i dunno.  a boat trailer?
  • Very nice. I have always wanted, but I haven't pulled the trigger "yet"! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Zippylip
    Dobie said:
    Zippylip said:

Sounds like you have the 4 banger in it? If so yeah it sucks with oversized tires.
    Nice off-road toys but a 500 mile days with the road manners of a tractor combined with soft top flapping so loud you scream at each other to talk at speed was too much for me as I got middle aged. If it's not your daily driver, it can be fun to play with. 
    Dobie, I didn't mention it above but two of my other must haves were the 4.0 straight six and 5 speed manual, both of which this one has; those two items knocked a good many otherwise good looking Jeeps out of the running, just can't fathom a Jeep with an automatic trans, & I did a good bit of reading before hand & came to the pretty quick realization that in the Jeep world the old six is one of the best motors ever made so I never considered the 4 either.  Could my issue be low gearing?  I don't know what's in there but I figure maybe the guy before me did something like that...
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip said:
    Dobie said:
    Zippylip said:

Dobie, I didn't mention it above but two of my other must haves were the 4.0 straight six and 5 speed manual, both of which this one has; those two items knocked a good many otherwise good looking Jeeps out of the running, just can't fathom a Jeep with an automatic trans, & I did a good bit of reading before hand & came to the pretty quick realization that in the Jeep world the old six is one of the best motors ever made so I never considered the 4 either.  Could my issue be low gearing?  I don't know what's in there but I figure maybe the guy before me did something like that...
    why do you ignore me.  i only lash out because i want to be your friend.  if i were on the side of the road, and it were raining, would you pick me up in your jeep?  we could really go places together.

think about it.

two dudes, unencumbered by what 'society' thinks.  top down.  wind in our hair.

just throwin it out there.  also, steven kicked me out of his basement.  so.  in between situations at the moment
  • Zippylip
    edited December 2016
    Zippylip said:

ha, truth is I was sweating bullets as I realized its height might be an issue (literally didn't occur to me as I was buying it);
    if you meaning reaching the pedals, i would suggest contacting a guy on the forum known as "canadiansteve" or something like that.  he can tell you where to get those wooden blocks they add to the pedals so you can reach them.

and you can build a small wooden platform next to your driveway, so that each time you pull up to it on the driver's side.  then you can get into and out of the jeep easier.

totally unrelated question...  you got a hitch on that, for, say.  oh i dunno.  a boat trailer?
    jocularity jocularity ha ha ha (name the show).  Seriously I actually could use a friggin step ladder to get into this thing; it's got a 3 inch lift & more with the 33 inch balloons it sits on.  I was just out in the garage climbing around underneath trying to diagnose a loose rear end (big hillbilly told me it could be loose or non-existent sway bars) when I realized the thing has a foot of clearance to the lowest point of the skid plate under the transfer case, it's unreal, changing the oil on this thing is gonna be a breeze.  But I digress, I've noticed some difficulty getting in & out of it & took a tape measure to the running board, it's 28 inches off the ground - no doubt gonna break a bone or tear a testicle at some point getting in or out of it

and yea, it has a hitch; thing needs nothing
    happy in the hut
  • M*A*S*H! father patrick mulcahey (sp?).

all time favorite show.

sounds like a fun ride.  don't forget to toss a plow on that thing.

• Zippylip

just throwin it out there.  also, steven kicked me out of his basement.  so.  in between situations at the moment
    hahaha that's good stuff.  On a semi-related topic I'm pricing a peel and stick man-bun, tryina update my look to go along with my new ride but can't grow enough of a wad of hair to do it right
    happy in the hut
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Zip with those much larger tires, and stock speedometer settings, your 60 is actually closer to 70.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Zippylip said:
    Dobie said:
    Zippylip said:

why do you ignore me.  i only lash out because i want to be your friend.  if i were on the side of the road, and it were raining, would you pick me up in your jeep?  we could really go places together.

think about it.

There's always, Rod's jeep?  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    We miss our old Jeep.
    Just Empty Every Pocket :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL