Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Horrible news - Have a question

Options
tgs2401
tgs2401 Posts: 423
edited December 2016 in Off Topic
I just found out that one of my neighbor's children committed suicide last weekend at the age of 24. He was a smart guy, friendly, soulful and left behind his parents, three brothers and a sister, one of which was his twin. Just when I think I have problems, something like this comes up and reminds me of how lucky I am. 

The reason for the post, I'm going to smoke a Boston Butt for them to have on hand for all of the visitation guests but I'm unsure as to how many buns I should get. I was thinking the smaller buns like you get at a bakery but clueless as to how to come up with a count. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hug your kids and tell them how much you love them, every day is a precious gift.
One large BGE in Louisville, KY.

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    That is truly horrible news. If it were me.. I'd cook 2 butts (just in case) and bring ~36 buns. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Yes, we often don't see our blessings until something happens to shake us up. My condolences to your neighbor. He is probably trying to figure out how he could have seen what was happening and prevented it. That's normal. But it is not his fault. Just be there for him and do a lot more listening than talking.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Thanks @Raymont and @HellrodKC
    I think I'll smoke three smaller butts. They are having visitation at their home for two days and then a service so more is better. I'm sure I'm not the only person providing food so there should be plenty of other casseroles, etc..
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    That is so sad and he had a twin to boot.

As for the buns I would take the small slider size which are commonly available anymore even at Kroger. Callers will not be bringing large appetites.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Sorrow.

But do what you can. Standard PP sandwiches are between 1/3 -1/4 lb of meat. The average cooked yield is a little above 60% of uncooked weight. Most standard burger buns will handle 1/4 pound, and some slaw.

FWIW, the family funerals I've been at have assumed there will be leftovers, which the bereaved can take home, so as not to have to cook unless they want to. Maybe make extra.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That is awful! As a parent, I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child. My condolences to the family.

As for the pork, between the bone, the fat and the shrinkage, a 10 lb butt will only leave you with about 5 lb of meat, maybe 6. Or 80-96 oz. At about 5 oz per sandwich, that's 16-20 standard size buns. At 4 oz each, 20-24. I don't know about sliders, never use them. 2-3 oz each? Guessing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    My condolences to the family. 

I like the idea of slider sized buns. There will likely be plenty of other food brought, so a slider is perfect. Bring 3-4 packages (40-50) of slider sized buns.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Very sorry to hear that. Prayers going out to the family and friends.
    I would go with 2 or 3 packs of the slider buns.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you have a Costco nearby, they have bags of crusty dinner rolls that work well for this type of thing. There are 48 or so in the bag, if I recall, for not too much money. We get them for meatball sliders that are served during large functions so the translation to pulled pork would be fine.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    edited December 2016
    Options
    We did this same thing for a friend who lost family, and we lent them the cooler with the resting hot butt in it with two packs of those buns from Costco -- more than they'd need.

we also gave slaw and simple nc style sauce

condolences 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!