Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried to post this yesterday

Options
Prepped and started a pork loin early this am. Used just a basic rub( garlic,onion,salt,pepper) regulating heat around 200-225, and cherry wood chips for smoke.
Gave it 3.5 hours , wanted to run closer to 5 , but when I checked it was done, well, over done and drying out.
IT when I checked it was 146.
My better half took the drip pan, which was almost empty of 2 cups of water, and added a few things then injected into it to give even a little flavor, but is still a bit tough.

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I don't think this is a cut for low and slow, I would have cooked at 350º or so.
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    I don't think this is a cut for low and slow, I would have cooked at 350º or so.
    Was trying to draw it out and get some smoke into it. At 350* it would have been done in 2 hours. Which , in hindsight, would have been a better cook.
    Scratch that as a learning experience, and do better next to me.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    You can cook these low and slow. 

We do all the time. Internal temp is the key. Yours doesn't seem too high actually. Maybe it coasted higher when injecting?

cooking temp is far less an issue than the internal temp. 

i wouldn't cook this until 200-205, like traditional barbecue. No. but again, that's an internal temp. Slow roasting is common and actually fairly standard/typical/traditional 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Agree^^^^ pork loin is one of the true shining star cooks for an egg. I like to brine pork loin, but it's not required to get great results. Slice to about 1/4" thick. Pork loin is extremely lean and thus can be tougher and drier than other cuts. Cook mine to 140 , but have over cooked it before to 150 without issue. Check your thermo.  
  • setdahook
    Options
    Yep I have done it both ways prefer the low and slow to 145 then slice to about 2 inch thick and sear each cut. Also seems much better with brine.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    My favorite way to do pork loins anymore is to cut them into 2" chops, season, and cook at about 450 until it is 140 in the center.