Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

My wife just got me this. Any tips or advice?

Comments

• northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 14,971
    Use it and love it. 
    Johns Creek GA with a Large & a 17" Blackstone........Medium & MiniMax in storage

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Go buy a big a$$ roast and steak it out!

also, piggy back with a sous vide. 
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. My wings either. 
  • DuckDogDrDuckDogDr Posts: 1,320
    Use the hell out of it!

i carry mine on my hunting trips. Use it to seal everything fresh. If you process a lot of meat (3 and 4 deer at a time ) sometimes it will overheat.. So take you're time if it overheats too much you'll mess the sealing mechanism up.

• Don't look directly at the sun.  
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Ruining the forum, one post at a time.  

Living large in the 919
  • DMWDMW Posts: 13,827
    Don't touch fire.
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 39,045
    Don't do "the things" if you think you might get caught.
    Oh yeah?! Well you're a (duuhhh durp) HIPPY CHIC (sic) --Lit

• Wife got me one for Christmas too. Can't wait to use it but she is making me wait until Christmas. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Got a Sams or Costco nearby?  Get the big box of bags on rolls..... you will need them.

When sealing up things like pulled pork, try to make the package as flat as possible; that will make re-heating much easier.

Fold over the tops of the bags BEFORE you start filling them; you will keep juices away from the seal area, making the seal much better.

Juice happens, deal with it.

Date the bags.  When you have a bunch of pulled pork blocks in the freezer, you will want to use the oldest stock first.

Buy cheese in blocks, grate up what you need for something, then seal the blocks; they will last longer.  Also, the processed stuff that's already shredded is very greasy compared to what you shred.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• On that note. Smoke some cheese and seal it up for four weeks or so. 
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. My wings either. 
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 12,837
    Don't use it with any appendages.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

Some Eggs, some Weber stuff, the occasional Traeger, and various other things that make flames and hold coals.
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 14,971

Got a Sams or Costco nearby?  Get the big box of bags on rolls..... you will need them.

When sealing up things like pulled pork, try to make the package as flat as possible; that will make re-heating much easier.

Fold over the tops of the bags BEFORE you start filling them; you will keep juices away from the seal area, making the seal much better.

Juice happens, deal with it.

Date the bags.  When you have a bunch of pulled pork blocks in the freezer, you will want to use the oldest stock first.

Buy cheese in blocks, grate up what you need for something, then seal the blocks; they will last longer.  Also, the processed stuff that's already shredded is very greasy compared to what you shred.

Dang Dave.....I have had one for 4 years.....and don't do any of those except the cheese. Appreciate the tips.
    Johns Creek GA with a Large & a 17" Blackstone........Medium & MiniMax in storage

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 6,814
    Vacuum sealed pulled pork has a hundred leftover capabilities.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• You can buy whole pork loins at a cheaper price and cut them into three or four pieces . Cook one and freeze the rest.
  • bcsnavebcsnave Posts: 1,008
    @epocisbest ..send me her sisters number

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• DesertSnowDesertSnow Posts: 67
    edited December 2016
    Best purchase so far...besides my egg of course
  • Got cut off for some reason but I can now buy in bulk with no worries of throwing food out and he saved me a lot of money...I just have the basic ziplock brand one from Walmart but I haven't had any problems with it 
  • All good tips up there...but be sure to LABEL EVERY PACKAGE! Don't ask me how I know. Now I either slip a piece of paper with the contents written in black marker pen showing through, or use a stick-on label on the outside.

I prefer separate bags to the continuous roll because I'm lazy. But I wash lightly used large bags and reuse them (never from chicken!).

This storage method will really change your life. I even bought a small freezer for the garage and it's almost always full, and there are only two of us.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Got a Sams or Costco nearby?  Get the big box of bags on rolls..... you will need them.

What is the footage on the big box? I got a 11 in. X 16 ft. roll. Are the ones you referred to longer than that?
    MiniMax 04/17

• RaymontRaymont Posts: 705
    I buy bags at "TheVakShack.com". 50 quart bags for $13.50. Just as good as the foodsaver brand. I like the bags better than the rolls 95% of the time. The only time I use roll is when food is to big to fit in quart bag. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• I buy my bags from Amazon - these ones have a white strip for easy labeling. Ordered them 2x now and no issues: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I1OM7TO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 12,010
    Foodsaver has pleated rolls on their website that can be really helpful for larger cuts.  I've used them to freeze a rack of three plate ribs, I've used them to seal 14 lb turkeys in brine, etc.  They're a little awkward to use at first, but they work really well when you do need to seal something large.
  • I buy my bags from Amazon - these ones have a white strip for easy labeling. Ordered them 2x now and no issues: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I1OM7TO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does the permanent marker cause any issues with reheating in the bag?
    MiniMax 04/17

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 28,561
    your halfway there to a sous vide system, put it on her shopping list =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 4,481

Got a Sams or Costco nearby?  Get the big box of bags on rolls..... you will need them.

What is the footage on the big box? I got a 11 in. X 16 ft. roll. Are the ones you referred to longer than that?
    This is what I get at Sam's for my Food Saver.  It seems to be a good buy  to me.  Comes with bags and rolls.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/foodsaver-roll-combo-pack/prod2860002.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

The last meat sale at our store I used all my bags and filled my freezer mostly up.  Nice purchase.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blastingblasting Posts: 6,262

I've had that model for a couple of years now.  I use it a lot.  It's one of the cheaper ones out there, but I couldn't see much benefit derived from buying the more expensive models.  Until I get a chamber sealer...

@Judy Mayberry speaks the truth about labeling.  Thinking "oh, I'll remember', has caused me to thaw out pork fat for dinner instead of chicken wings.  I keep a sharpie in the bag storage compartment.

Phoenix 

I haven't noticed any issues at all with them. I've sous vide with these many times with marker on them
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • epcotisbestepcotisbest Posts: 2,158
    Lots of good information here. Thank you everyone. I am going to like this Foodsaver. 

Another option is to use the label from the original store packaging and slip that in before you vacuum and seal. This provides not only exactly what you have in the bag but a date as well. 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 39,045
    I love your baby fur seal avatar, btw.
    Oh yeah?! Well you're a (duuhhh durp) HIPPY CHIC (sic) --Lit