Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Grate Stacker

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
I really like this Grate Stacker.
It's really made and finished well. All stainless steel and the allen bolts are a nice feature.
This would be great to take along to an Eggfest because it takes so little space unbolted.
I have another version of this that I got several years ago and this one is so much better. The base plates are larger and hold very tight.
Here are a couple cell phone photos of it bolted to a 18" lower grate using the Smokeware 16" grate on the top.
I would move the lower bracket a little more foreward next time. This would allow more pivot of the top grate...
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Just a'burnin the numbers off the ol' credit card lately aren't you Darian?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Mine too, damn him!   :D

=) 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Funny thing is they keep sending new ones when the old card stop working.
    This was one of my cheapest spluges so far.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Seriously they do look handy. Similar to one that BGE Canada has but less cumbersome. Theirs pivots too but it sits more in the centre of the lower grid.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Action_Hank
    Options
    Can it be used with a plate setter or is that too much height?
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Good question...
    First guess is no but I will try and find my platesetter and try.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I find the one I purchased a few years ago in the group order seems to sag with little weight. This one seems to hold more weight? How does it work with the platesetter? Any issues with height with the 2nd grid and platesetter? Thanks Darian 

My bad, just saw the same question a few posts above 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Good question...

Can't see why not if you had two of them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Good question...

I was going to ask if it could be used with the woo setup.  I don't want to spend the money for the adjustable rig since I already bought the Woo-ci, but HATE the extra grid I bought from BGE at the same time I bought the egg...that thing is worthless and a total PIA to deal with!

This looks like an awesome set up, but it sure does look like it will be pretty high in the dome.   Could always remove the dome temp, and just stick the thermapen through the hole to check the meat temp without opening the egg!  HA HA

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    ...must take out temp guage but it does fit with platesetter.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Action_Hank
    Options
    Thanks!
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • Photo Egg
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This extender does have a fair amount of space between the 2 levels. Honestly, it could be shortened to give a little more head room.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I find the one I purchased a few years ago in the group order seems to sag with little weight. This one seems to hold more weight? How does it work with the platesetter? Any issues with height with the 2nd grid and platesetter? Thanks Darian 

My bad, just saw the same question a few posts above 
    I think it will handle the weight better. Especially is you line it up with the center supports as instructed.
    It's really built well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Any chance the height can be adjustable?  those look awesome! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    I think any mods to make the height adjustable would either comprise the strength or stop it from rotating and lifting out.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Photo Egg   Thanks for posting - that looks pretty slick.
    Phoenix 
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Might get one on my next order. I would have bought one last time but they didn't do a good job shows by it in action. They should use your pics. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Might get one on my next order. I would have bought one last time but they didn't do a good job shows by it in action. They should use your pics. 
    Thanks, nice of you to say.
    I'm out of town this weekend, hope to cook on it next weekend. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    The video showed it to be just two telescoping tubes.  You could shorten them, but you couldn't go back (and I would do so if I got it).  That would actually make them stronger, due to shorter "moment arms".  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Photo Egg
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The above shows one of the older style stacker rigs compared to the Smokeware.
    It came in at least 2 different heights. The taller of the 2 I have is the same height as the Smokeware. The difference is in the depth. Smokeware is more than double the depth. This gives it less flex when weight is added to the upper rack. The 16" Smokeware grate is also very well made. The stainless steel finish is perfect.
    Older version is wider left to right but this really does not help increase strength and does not help with flex in the cooking grates. The fit of the 2 tubes in the Smokeware are also a good match. When you pull them apart quickly it sounds like you are popping the cork on a wine bottle. This also helps with lean and flex.
    All of the above are just my opinion from comparing the 2 products but I really like the Smokeware Stacker.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

My guess is that if the thermo probe is hitting the grate itself, you will be extremely limited as far as use of the upper grate when cooking indirect.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I have theold style I purchased and because of the sag I only use it at fest when cooking pies.  Will be looking into this.  I have got to spend money before i go on fixed income next year
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

My guess is that if the thermo probe is hitting the grate itself, you will be extremely limited as far as use of the upper grate when cooking indirect.
    Yes, limited space when using platesetter.
    But would be great for wings or any other smaller food.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Justacookin
    Options
    there is one for sale on Craigs list MPLS MN for 20.00 or a good bag of Lump.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Why not rotate the whole thing 180° so the pivot point is up by the handle? That way, you can swivel it completely out of the way. And drip even more crud on your deck or patio. =)

What's the difference between this one and the CGW thing people had so many complaints about? Hopefully, this one's better.

This is one gadget I know I'll never buy. I've never needed to cook more than one grid full at a time! Or had two grills going at the same time for that matter. Come to think of it, except for folks on these boards, I don't even know anyone who has two or more grills or a second cooking level on their one grill.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Why not rotate the whole thing 180° so the pivot point is up by the handle? That way, you can swivel it completely out of the way. And drip even more crud on your deck or patio. =)

What's the difference between this one and the CGW thing people had so many complaints about? Hopefully, this one's better.

This is one gadget I know I'll never buy. I've never needed to cook more than one grid full at a time! Or had two grills going at the same time for that matter. Come to think of it, except for folks on these boards, I don't even know anyone who has two or more grills or a second cooking level on their one grill.
    That's the nice thing about freedom of choice. You don't have to buy what you don't like.
    I don't know what the issues of the CGW was.
    I think it was cast iron and some cracked. Then I guess customer service issues. 
    I like that I can choose what size grate I want to use it with. 
    Could also just put a drip pan under it and cook indirect on the upper grate.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Going old school at my cousins. Weber and fresh lime Margaritas.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mpaek25
    Options
    I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I recently bought the stacker and my base came asymmetrically a little bent, shown below. I contacted Smokeware and Matt from their sales department said that it is designed that way to allow the top grate to set level. He assures me that every stacker has this bend. Anyone else notice this on theirs and is this normal like he said?

• Photo Egg
    Options
    I honestly did not look at mine that close.
    I guess I would bolt it together and see how it works and post some photos with some food on it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

At first I was in agreement, but after thinking, you could put a pizza stone or other circular ceramic on the bottom grate and get an indirect that way.  Kinda like the Spider/Woo setup right?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE